PDA

View Full Version : Stauffer Creek access - Public and Private

dwo
06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I have been hearing about the Brown Trout fishing on Stauffer Creek since the early 60's but have never made a trip there as I understood the fishing could be very challenging. Now that my son has caught the 'fly fishing bug' I would like take him there.

Does anyone have any experience with obtaining permission from land owners to cross their land?
Are they receptive to providing permission?
Where is the best public access?
I heard for years about the "Miracle Mile", is there a stretch that is particularly productive and is there access?

Any info anyone can provide, by posting or personal mail, would be appreciated.

tbone616
06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
I fish there quite a bit (although not this year yet) and yes it can be very challenging to fish. I just gain access via public land (i.e. bridges) and wade up or downstream being mindful not to tresspass (staying in the creek bed). I haven't talked to any landowners yet as I have not needed to but I recently discovered an area I want to try that I will need to get permission if I wish to fish it so we will soon find out.

Heimdallr
06-30-2011, 02:38 PM
There's a couple bridges you can access the river from as well as from the Buck For Wildlife parking lot/bridge. The stream can be quite challenging, but also quite rewarding to fish. The "miracle mile" your referring to is actually on Prairie Creek.