PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Rods....

jgrocks
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi there, I'm new to the forum from St. Albert/Edmonton and have done very little fishing in the past.

Years ago, fished Hastings Lake for perch from a boat. Did good only because I was with grandfather.

A couple of years ago, fished trout from shore at Mcleod Lake (Carson). Was using the same gear and set up as the other people around me and still didn't catch as much as they were. But still a good time.

Last year, went Sockeye fishing with wife and my in-laws at the Babine River, BC. Luckily the father in-law has a friend who lives up there and invited us out for a fishing trip and provided all the fly fishing gear otherwise we wouldn't know what we were doing. Had a blast, caught a lot of Pinks (catch and release) and lots of Sockeye (got to keep those).

Awhile back my grandfather gave me an ugly stick and his tackle box. To be honest I don't know if any of the hooks are good and what you would use to catch what types of fish as he caught a lot of different fish.

Basically I would like a little guidance on what I have and what should be in a tackle box. Is there a club or a group who meets that I could join in and maybe meet new people and learn more about the sport as I am pretty much a newbie.

The other question that I would have, can I use the ugly stick to fish pretty much anything from shore or boat? Or is there a type of rod that does it all?

I have gone to Wholesale Sports on the trail/Yellowhead for guidance but to know avail as it seems the people who were there were young and didn't know what I was asking or looking for.

I appreciate your input as I would really like to get more into fishing as I need a hobby.

AndrewM
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
There are tonnes of different lures for all sorts of fish.
I find the most versatile one is the #1 or #2 Len Thompson Red or Black 5 of Diamonds spoon. If you were in Calgary, I could have taken you out.
There is no end in sight when it comes to purchasing lures. I have bought a lot in the past from Ebay. Just make sure to watch the shipping costs!

NSRfishing
06-30-2011, 11:16 PM
i like rods with extra fast tip i have never used a uglystick my freind has one he fishes the nsr with he loves it we could meet at the nsr this weekend if you want to fish

and the northside fishin hole is my favorite place to buy lures the staff have always answered the questions i have had about the river

horsetrader
07-01-2011, 12:02 AM
i like rods with extra fast tip i have never used a uglystick my freind has one he fishes the nsr with he loves it we could meet at the nsr this weekend if you want to fish

and the northside fishin hole is my favorite place to buy lures the staff have always answered the questions i have had about the river

YAAAA Northside fishing hole

BGSH
07-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I dont think i have ever seen you at northside fishinghole horsetrader

buckmaster
07-01-2011, 12:28 AM

He is that old man in front of the store asking for change with that dirty ball cap!!! :p

jgrocks
07-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I actually wont be able to head out fishing until towards the end of July. Got too much stuff going on right now.

Would it be easier for me to fish for a certain fish and learn how to do that first, then move on from there?

Is shore fishing for trout the same everywhere? What I have seen done is that you have a weight on your line and then a leader approx. 24" from the weight and then a lure with powerbait. Then cast it out, and wait for your rod to wiggle. Is that the way to do it for all shore fishing for trout? Basically that is what I have seen being done at Mcleod Lake.

horsetrader
07-01-2011, 01:10 AM

He is that old man in front of the store asking for change with that dirty ball cap!!! :p

I live at the northside fishing hole really I live down the street.In there 4-5 times a week. Just mention my name and Kerry will give you my special seat
its in the back it has running water so I can test my frogs out

And i'll have you know I washed my hat and those frogs are not cheap so a little more change next time eh

Geezle
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Check the writing on the rod near the handle...that will tell you the action of the rod. Post that and we can tell ya what the rod is most suitable for :) If you know what kind of reel and line you have on there that will be helpful also.

If you're fishing the stocked trout ponds then they're all pretty similar. Lots of people fish for them using a pickerel rig fished on the bottom with a couple baits of some kind (worms, marshmallows, powerbait etc.) but you can also bait fish for them using a bobber to keep your bait higher in the water column.

If you're the type who likes throwing hardware, you can also toss small spinners at them (Mepps and Panther Martin seem to be the favorite brands around here) small spoons, and other smaller sized lures such as Kastmasters and Deadly Dicks :)

Cal
07-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Your Ugly Stick is most likely a medium action, if so it will work for anything that swims in Alberta. If your reel has a spare spool put 10lb line on one spool and use that for pike and walleye, and 6lb on the other and use it for trout.

For pike and walleye you should have some #2 ish Len Thompson spoons, red and white and 5 of diamond pattterns. Some 3" jigs in black, yellow, and white, and a couple plugs. If your fishing the river be sure to have some pickerel rigs, a tub of minnows, and 1oz sinkers.

For trout some small spoons, spinners, and a few trout flies as well as the terminal tackle to fish the flies and live bait... Floats, hooks, sinkers etc.