PDA

View Full Version : Muir lake

BGSH
07-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Whats with everyone saying Muir Lake winter killed, huge monsters in there, saw so many last night, some around 25 inches for sure, there swirl you think its a salmon, and the stockers are getting bigger by the day :)

Granrey
07-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Whats with everyone saying Muir Lake winter killed, huge monsters in there, saw so many last night, some around 25 inches for sure, there swirl you think its a salmon, and the stockers are getting bigger by the day :)

hmm. I was there couple days after it open and nobody caught anything that day. There were some fish dead on shore but there were signs that they did reproduce as there were tiny minions on the shore.

Maybe the monsters were hiding when I was there.

BGSH
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
really, caught a 20 inch off the dock on a floating rapala, put up a great fight :) havent seen any signs of winter kill at all, so much action.

Jasonp
07-02-2011, 12:55 PM
hmm. I was there couple days after it open and nobody caught anything that day. There were some fish dead on shore but there were signs that they did reproduce as there were tiny minions on the shore.

They dont reproduce in muir. They cant

Doc
07-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Granrey, those minnows you're seeing near shore are sticklebacks, Muir is a stocked lake, trout won't spawn in stillwaters. BTW, the big trout are keying in on the sticklebacks.

really, caught a 20 inch off the dock on a floating rapala, put up a great fight :) havent seen any signs of winter kill at all, so much action.

Shawn, there was most definitely a partial winterkill at Muir. There are very few trout in the 12 - 16 inch class. Ok numbers of 17-20 inchers so far and there are some over that but don't think there are a lot of 23+. You may think they are when you see them splashing about but put a tape on them and they're not so big.

Muir was meant to be a trout fishery that offered high catch rates and a chance at a trophy. We still have the odd chance at a trophy but the catch rates have gone down drastically. If you had fished it in it's prime, you would see that. The lake needs some tweeking from SRD for sure.

Cheer,
Doc