PDA

View Full Version : New Sonar

TrollGRG
07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
I am thinking of getting a Humminbird 597ci HD DI combo.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments? Good, bad or indifferent

Mudslide
07-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Nice unit if you can find one in stock somewhere. I like the fact that it has both traditional and downscan sonar included. I don't believe you can add the side imaging later which only matters if you would use it. The base map for Canada is nothing but a big yellow screen so the Navionics chip is probably a must. All in all I would lean toward the Lowrance HDS-5 (more power, more expandable and a way better base map) but the Humminbird is a solid unit for Alberta fishing.

Teamprotz
07-03-2011, 01:14 PM
The 597 has a higher pixel count and is less money depending on where you buy.

TrollGRG
07-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Does anyone have any actual experience with the DI (down imaging)?

The demos and promos all look good but I am wondering if it really is that detailed a resolution.

Teamprotz
07-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Going to use my new 997c this week. What I do know is even with the big transducer , it still fit my trolling motor. More than I can say about the Lowrance Structure scan. On dads boat , I had to modify the mounting bracket otherwise it would hang over the prop and the standard transducer needed to be moved to the front of the keel. All that plus having to wire in a power switch for it and mount the module. Unfortunately, its July and dad hasn't even put the boat in the river in Nipawin yet.