PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon lake

Smasher
07-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Well,after yesterday's fishing trip to pigeon it's officially been removed from my fishing destination list.Me and the kid spent 8 hours there and only managed 13 walleye and one pike.There were lots of boats out there and everyone had the same question-"Where are all the fish gone?!" Last year was a blast every time we went there with catches of 100+ fish every time(caught 220 one day).It's a catch and release fishery,so what happened to all the fish?:angry3:

freeones
07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
One slow day and a lake is off your list? If I worked that way there wouldn't be a lake left that I could fish at anymore.

Slow days are part of fishing, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the lake.

quad_hopper
07-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Hahahaha, this is one of the funniest posts I have seen in a long time. It's called fishing, not catching.

That's just awesome, thanks for the laugh and I mean no disrespect, it's just funny...

Albertafisher
07-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Was there potential winter-kill there? Lets say it wasn't a slow day... Well it probably got a little beaten up by the winter. No biggie boys.

maclennanchris
07-04-2011, 03:39 PM
yeah really....not gonna be great evertime. Thats the best part, when it is great you relish in it. Almost like abit of hard work paying off for ya. Dont feel too bad the last 2 weekends at Wab have been very slow for us. Use to be that 20 fish on Wab was a bad day for us. Now 3 of us only pulled 10 fish out this Saturday, thats fishing from 7:30 till 4 in the afternoon. I think the fish just get smarter as the pressure is on them constantly.

grind stone
07-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Me and the kid spent 8 hours there and only managed 13 walleye and one pike one should have a lot patience when out fishing To me that would be a good day out .:)

Last year was a blast every time we went there with catches of 100+ fish every time(caught 220 one day). See in here lies the answer "last year "your livening in the past :snapoutofit:each year is different wouldn’t we all love to catch 220 in one day just not going to happen for me.Good luck on your next destination.:sHa_shakeshout:

bloopbloob
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Haha. Funny post! Take it off your list then! Just spent 5 days out there. Fishing was great! Enjoy your new lake! :snapoutofit:

buckmaster
07-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Well,after yesterday's fishing trip to pigeon it's officially been removed from my fishing destination list.Me and the kid spent 8 hours there and only managed 13 walleye and one pike.There were lots of boats out there and everyone had the same question-"Where are all the fish gone?!" Last year was a blast every time we went there with catches of 100+ fish every time(caught 220 one day).It's a catch and release fishery,so what happened to all the fish?:angry3:

I fished the lake for over 20yrs and had many bad days and many good days.Where abouts were you fishing?

Lefty-Canuck
07-04-2011, 05:27 PM
You likely just had an "off" day. Unless all the 52 inch 35lb pike have been eating everything? :thinking-006:

LC :)

pickrel pat
07-04-2011, 07:09 PM
after catching that 34 lber at wab, no lake you visit will do it for you. you were spoiled!

Dust1n
07-04-2011, 07:14 PM

sylvans the same...

ssyd
07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I wish I was that spoiled. 13 walleye is a good day for me. Must be nice fishing with all those midlife crisis toys.

Alberta Bigbore
07-04-2011, 08:27 PM
I fished the lake for over 20yrs and had many bad days and many good days.Where abouts were you fishing?

X2

Smasher
07-04-2011, 08:52 PM
This wasn't my first day there at all and all previous trips this year have been the same.What is with everybody and their sarcasm on here?I've been fishing for over 25 years and have lots of experience so i don't deserve to be put down by you guys.I made a simple comment and instead of replying with some genuine thoughts you guys(some,not everyone)choose to make wisecracks.Grow up!!!

bloopbloob
07-04-2011, 09:26 PM
This wasn't my first day there at all and all previous trips this year have been the same.What is with everybody and their sarcasm on here?I've been fishing for over 25 years and have lots of experience so i don't deserve to be put down by you guys.I made a simple comment and instead of replying with some genuine thoughts you guys(some,not everyone)choose to make wisecracks.Grow up!!!

Not sure if you're referring to me... But I think the fishing there is just fine. Actually better than the last couple years. I've had 100 fish days out there before, but now its a Nice mix of species instead of nothing but sad looking walleye. good numbers. Maybe you need to change your method or location. I was catching 20-30 fish each 3-4h trip I took, and just in a 12' aluminum....

Dust1n
07-04-2011, 09:31 PM

try out sylvan and troll the beach area with gold crankers

ssyd
07-04-2011, 09:42 PM

You posted a thread ranting about not being able to find success at and swearing off one of the most productive lakes in the province. Of course people are going to question your methods and skill. Why so sensitive? What did you expect from this thread?

If you'd have posted, "I'm having trouble at Pigeon - any tips?" you'd have gotten favorable responses, advice and maybe even a few PMs from people telling you their secret spots.

So in response to your getting offended by these replies: Grow up!!!

This lesson on internet forums brought to you by gaming community forums filled with 16 year old egomaniacs.

-JR-
07-04-2011, 09:48 PM
If the water is high at pigeon ,its very hard to find them,have to move around and fish spots you normaly don't fish for walleye.
I find fishing in front of the provincial dock is always slow,everyone says its good there ,but i hardly see anyone pulling up any,all the new comers normly can be found there pulling up a worn out walleye with his lips ripped off .
Good luck next time you go out .
Did you fish the hump ? Its always dead when the water is higher than 10 ft.

muskie032
07-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Smasher, I know what you mean. I have fished pigeon ussually once or twice a year and it has always been a fishfest. Today I took the kids out and we spent 6 hours out there and only caught 20 fish. 20 fish with 4 people fishing at pigeon for 6 hrs is bad for this lake. I was also disappointed and wondering where the fish were. We tried from 12-24 feet of water and the bite was really slow. Anyway that's my report for today and we will definitely go back but today was crap. :angry3:

bloopbloob
07-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Smasher, I know what you mean. I have fished pigeon ussually once or twice a year and it has always been a fishfest. Today I took the kids out and we spent 6 hours out there and only caught 20 fish. 20 fish with 4 people fishing at pigeon for 6 hrs is bad for this lake. I was also disappointed and wondering where the fish were. We tried from 12-24 feet of water and the bite was really slow. Anyway that's my report for today and we will definitely go back but today was crap. :angry3:

Maybe they just aren't in 12-24' of water...:sign0161:

NSRfishing
07-04-2011, 11:42 PM
the fish in pigeon are shallow right now focus on the shoreline

last year this time they were all around the rock island this year nothing there

Rockymtnx
07-05-2011, 01:13 AM
I was out there last Wednesday and had some great fishing. 63 walleye in a few hours out there. Didn't notice any difference.....

NSRfishing
07-05-2011, 01:22 AM
I was out there last Wednesday and had some great fishing. 63 walleye in a few hours out there. Didn't notice any difference.....

you talking about the rock island? last time i was there was a month ago

be nice if the fish moved in again that spot was great for drifting in the wind and dragging a jig

Rockymtnx
07-05-2011, 01:27 AM
you talking about the rock island? last time i was there was a month ago

be nice if the fish moved in again that spot was great for drifting in the wind and dragging a jig

Nope I was west of there a ways. Was hoping to make it to the island but the wind picked up just before dark and we never ventured over there.

grind stone
07-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I made a simple comment and instead of replying with some genuine thoughts you guys(some,not everyone)choose to make wisecracks.Grow up!!! maybe some not everyone needs to grow up a little thats for sure :thinking-006:good luck once again :)

djpanda
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
The main thing you need to realize is that the sport is called "FISHING". I have yet to here anyone call it "CATCHING".

Jamie Black R/T
07-05-2011, 03:02 PM
whats wrong with WMU 510!!!

i hunted up there once for a half day and didnt even see a deer close to 200"!! :sign0161:

Ever think maybe its not the lake? ive been hearing the same from countless locals about ste anne....how it was hot when it opened but slowed right down now

I was out over the weekend and threw back over 30 fish i could have tagged but didnt want to burn up my tags only to freeze some fish....i eat them fresh or not at all...tagged a couple nice ones to feed us then C&R fished for a few hours.

get back to the launch and have two different groups talking about how slow it was out there. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

muskie032
07-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I think the point that is being made here is that pigeon was a massive producer of bites and that seems to have changed. There are still plenty of fish but not to the extent of the past. Were they biting like past years earlier this sping, doesn't sound like it. That's the only thing that concerns me. So what happened to all the fish?:argue2:

Walleye101
07-05-2011, 03:17 PM
The Walleye fishing was great this weekend!!! Took my 8 year old out in my little 12' aluminum and absolutely hammered them. We found that the magic depth was 13.5 feet! We literally had boats 10 feet from us and could'nt catch a thing. Thankfully I had my trustworthy jig heads and fat minnows with us!!! awesome fishing all weekend! Just no big ones but lots of fun. I must say the walleyes were looking healthy too!

ThunderBolt
07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Where is rock island. I being to Pigeon a couple times and didn't venture out to far. I've looked across the lake and didn't see any islands.......I hope this is not a submerged island, because I would like to know where it is if this is the case. Thanks

buckmaster
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Where is rock island. I being to Pigeon a couple times and didn't venture out to far. I've looked across the lake and didn't see any islands.......I hope this is not a submerged island, because I would like to know where it is if this is the case. Thanks

Yes,its a underwater island.

ThunderBolt
07-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Yes,its a underwater island.
OK so how deep is it from the surface? I launched my boat at the provincal park. So where would I look for it from there?

NSRfishing
07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
OK so how deep is it from the surface? I launched my boat at the provincal park. So where would I look for it from there?

most of the island is under water there is good chunk that sticks out you have to be close to see it will be covered in seagulls

i think if you go right from mullhurst you will find it there is usually a couple boats anchored

ThunderBolt
07-05-2011, 04:51 PM
most of the island is under water there is good chunk that sticks out you have to be close to see it will be covered in seagulls

i think if you go right from mullhurst you will find it there is usually a couple boats anchored
OK I'm pretty sure I can find it. Thanks!

Captain John
07-05-2011, 05:02 PM
What method of fishing is generally most successful for catching eyes at pigeon? Troll a jig with ordinary tail or with minnow bait or just jig from anchored boat or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

ssyd
07-05-2011, 05:07 PM
What method of fishing is generally most successful for catching eyes at pigeon? Troll a jig with ordinary tail or with minnow bait or just jig from anchored boat or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

We had a decent day slow trolling jigheads with spinner blades on them tipped with dew worm.

Lefty-Canuck
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Bottom bouncing spinner rigs always works well there.

LC

NSRfishing
07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
i just let boat drift in the wind dragging a cury tail grub on a jig works great

last year island was great for drifting this year has been slow i was thinking could be the higher water level

Rockymtnx
07-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Well if you lauched at the Provincal Park, you were almost at the most furthest point you could get from it on the lake. Its not far off the northeast shore, half way between Mameo and Mulhurst. Closer to Mameo though.

Most of my walleye fishing on Pigeon has been done with bottom bouncing a jig head with a minnow. I have done some trolling, of some structure, but nothing seems to produce like bottom bouncing.

ThunderBolt
07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Well if you lauched at the Provincal Park, you were almost at the most furthest point you could get from it on the lake. Its not far off the northeast shore, half way between Mameo and Mulhurst. Closer to Mameo though.
Thank you Rockymtnx, this is where I was going to lauch. I was planning on looking at a map that would show those coordinances. Thank you, you have just narrowed it down for me. Thanks again!! I am sure I will find it.

Most of my walleye fishing on Pigeon has been done with bottom bouncing a jig head with a minnow. I have done some trolling, of some structure, but nothing seems to produce like bottom bouncing. yahooooo!

happyfisher
07-05-2011, 11:10 PM
im new here...have tags for pigeon.....i will fish there this saturday...i bought a small 12' boat and it is on the far south shore...(norris beach i think). I dont want any secret spot but what do i use..and is there kinda a decent spot to fish around there? Im more of a fly fisher myself...lol

Thank

Captain John
07-08-2011, 12:26 AM
thx guys I'll try these techniques out next week!

Rockymtnx
07-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Just a update for all of you.
I fished Pigeon for 4 hours this morning and caught 4 walleye. This was the slowest day of fishing I have had on the open water at Pigeon in 12 years.

CBRHUNTER told me though not to complain because a slow day of fishing still beats a day in the office.

0liver
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Guys, in my humble opinion, if there is a sudden decrease in the walleye population, ALL THE POWER TO IT! anybody remember those 200 fish days? yeah me too, but they were all bloody skeletons ! I think you guys need to for sure pack up and leave pidgeon alone for a season or two, then come back and enjoy QUALITY over QUANTITY.

maybe the sudden decrease in bites is because they moved to a new depth? people are mentioning 12-24 fow but what about the pencil weeds? what about the bay itself? your telling me you went out to your fave honey hole in the middle of the lake some where..where you would normally pull up *200* starved stunted walleye and caught little to nothing in a very long period of time, but never tryed moving over to some weeds or a sand bar, maybe even dropping a smelt down into the trench? Try something else then jigs? bait? spoons? spinners?

sounds like people definetly need to either leave or change it up!

NSRfishing
07-08-2011, 03:11 PM
walleye this year i caught have gained some weight bit more chunky

Rockymtnx
07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
your telling me you went out to your fave honey hole in the middle of the lake some where..where you would normally pull up *200* starved stunted walleye and caught little to nothing in a very long period of time, but never tryed moving over to some weeds or a sand bar, maybe even dropping a smelt down into the trench? Try something else then jigs? bait? spoons? spinners?
Who said I didnt move and try changing things up? I have fished the lake 3 times in the past 10 days, and yesterday was just a slow day. I know that lake pretty damn good and know a lot of great places to cast a line. It sure wasnt for a lack of trying yesterday.

walleye this year i caught have gained some weight bit more chunky
X2

-JR-
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Normaly the walleye don't turn on until after July 1 at pigeon .
May be its later this year.
I will be out on the lake July 14 - 17 .
I hope its going to turn around by then !

Bhflyfisher
07-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I always pound them on flies on a fly rod off of one of the points, its a bit tricky trying to hook them at first, but after that i've gone out and had 50 fish days consistently. Before i fly fished i used cranks that were small ish, and perch colours and did VERY well.

Overdrawn
07-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I always had the impression that Piegon Lake is for the unskilled. I think it is boring there. Really a waste of my time. Nothing like it was in the early to mid 90's. F&W sure screwed that lake over. All I know it doesn't take brains to fish it. Just one hint there still there you just have to find them. My buddy was out there and knows how to fish them and had great luck. Just because your spots are hot in the summer or fall doesn't mean there good in the early season.

fish99
07-09-2011, 10:40 AM
the fish are still their ,there as been a large bug hatch and the eyes were feeding heavely on these, you can see the skeletons on the water surface. you have to work harder for the fish. and change your nornal fishing habits.

Lefty-Canuck
07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
I always pound them on flies on a fly rod off of one of the points, its a bit tricky trying to hook them at first, but after that i've gone out and had 50 fish days consistently. Before i fly fished i used cranks that were small ish, and perch colours and did VERY well.

I assume you are fishing from a boat and not fly fishing from shore?

LC