PDA

View Full Version : Where would I find good Walleye Fishing in Southern Alberta?

coearle
07-04-2011, 08:06 PM
So - as the title says, where would I go? It's one species that I have never actively targeted, and have caught 1 in my entire life - by accident!

Any help would be great! I might even try this weekend - and it will be from shore. I'm thinking within an hour or hour and a half from Medicine Hat.

If so - would I use a Jackfish Rig and minnows, a Jig with a minnow (does color matter? Size?)?

Any help or suggestions would be great - just can't seem to hook up into these guys. Not looking to keep - I am pretty much strictly catch and release.

Thanks again!

Gust
07-04-2011, 08:28 PM
So - as the title says, where would I go? It's one species that I have never actively targeted, and have caught 1 in my entire life - by accident!

Any help would be great! I might even try this weekend - and it will be from shore. I'm thinking within an hour or hour and a half from Medicine Hat.

If so - would I use a Jackfish Rig and minnows, a Jig with a minnow (does color matter? Size?)?

Any help or suggestions would be great - just can't seem to hook up into these guys. Not looking to keep - I am pretty much strictly catch and release.

Thanks again!

one of chubs first posts gives pretty much every detail you're looking for at travers,,, gimme a sec and i'll find the thread.

npauls
07-04-2011, 08:38 PM
You could try 40 mile res. or sherburn/grassy lake. Both lakes have quite a few perch and walleyes.

Try minnows, worms, or leeches on a jig, slip bobber, or pickerel rig and you should be able to get into a few from shore.

billie
07-04-2011, 09:42 PM
one of chubs first posts gives pretty much every detail you're looking for at travers,,, gimme a sec and i'll find the thread.

Regrettably, I think you'll find it has been deleted. Don't know why for sure but maybe Chubb can let you know. Try a PM.

Gust
07-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Regrettably, I think you'll find it has been deleted. Don't know why for sure but maybe Chubb can let you know. Try a PM.

just back threaded 180 pages and you are right, but got to remember some great older threads

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 12:49 PM

it was taking up valuble file space....so was deleted.

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Thanks again!

shore fishing does make the solution tougher

The spillway at travers is known by alot of walleye fisherman as a go to spot for walleyes. If the water is moving its tough not to catch a walleye. The majority of the eyes there are cigars and dont make the legal length though.
The LBPP also has shore fishing and a good population of walleyes residing in the channel all year.
Because of where you live though i would recomeend the Grand Forks at Grassy lake.....take your pickerel rig and some worms and minnows and you will be in prime big eye territory.
Or pack a extra sammich and hit the canal at Keho.
Or the inlet at newell
Or pack two extra sammichs and hit PCR....from what i understand its almost a sure thing there...ive never been though. Reports all indicate its a hot spot.
There is alot more options but ive listed the best shore spots i know.
p.s. really consider the Grand Forks option

coearle
07-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the information - I think I might try the Forks! Never been there, so it could be interesting!

Braun
07-05-2011, 01:45 PM
it was taking up valuble file space....so was deleted.

i saved a copy of it in my email for next ice season........:sHa_shakeshout:

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 01:49 PM
i saved a copy of it in my email for next ice season........:sHa_shakeshout:

hhahhaaha...now your wasting file space on your computer

krachynski
07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Or pack two extra sammichs and hit PCR....from what i understand its almost a sure thing there...ive never been though. Reports all indicate its a hot spot.

Yeah, it is pretty much a hot spot. I was there just over a week ago and even with little gear, I pulled in six over a couple of hours. The folks with the bait (pickerel rigs with minnows mostly) were letting something go with pretty much every cast.

Gust
07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Go just downstream of the Bassano dam,,, why do I keep forgetting this place that has produced the largest fish of the most assorted species? My first whopper trout was from here 8lbs red/white LT and then a guy beside me then caught a 14 pounder on a fly (1979, mind you, but hola!!!!). Go to Lower Bow/Bassano

FISHnRIG
07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Hey,
Most of the time I fish for walleyes when I can get out. From shore I find I catch the most and biggest from Crawling Valley. Cant keeep any but thats fine with me. I worked around there laast year and me and a buddy pulled out a average of 10 per hour. well over 200 last year. Plus the ratio of wallleye - pike for me is 15 - 1.

But Travers and Chin can be good walleye fishing too.

BGSH
07-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Im gonna guess the s.s.r or the milk river