PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limit at Battle Lake

outwalking
07-04-2011, 10:00 PM
It states at the boat launch that there is a maximum speed of 12 kph. Now, is this enforced? And is the speed limit imposed as to not stir up the water, limit water sports, that sort of thing? Or is it because of the deadheads lurking around?

I have no desire to rip around the lake and in general (and safe) circumstances I don't need to get anywhere fast but I'm just curious and would like to know :) There were lots of rowdy long-weekenders that blatantly ignored the rule. Note to self, stay off the lakes on the long weekends. Rules or not, holy man that whole campsite was having a party, no solitude at all on the lake!

Lefty-Canuck
07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
If you want solitude on a long weekend.....stay home and camp in the backyard.

LC :)

Dr. Phil A
07-04-2011, 11:47 PM
SRD has been trying to create a decent walleye fishery there for many years and it was suceeding. THEN some einstein decided to blow the dam on the southend that had been holding all the walleye in the lake. Boom the dam was gone and so were the big walleye. Now all you catch is hammer handles.

For the longest time it was a decent place to go but the last time I was there some woman in a group in the middle of the place kept everyone up with stories of her husband's low count and his inability to make her a mother. I have my theories.

There are getting to be more "cabins" on the lake and with that comes private docks and "toys".

One of the reason's for the speed limit is the 4H camp across the lake and their canoe class. Most evenings during the week the lake is pretty quiet.

There are some pretty serious freshwater clam beds on the east side of the lake as well.

338Bluff
07-05-2011, 06:27 PM
For nearly more than 30 years I do not recall a Dam on Battle Lake.

Still decent fishing in Battle. Don't forget it is C&R though. I actually caught some great walleye on the flyrod in there. One was an honest 26"

If the speed limit was not enforced call the County of Wetaskiwin. I believe they manage the site. Likely the long weekend just overwhelmed what local law enforcement could handle. While the caretaker can ask people nicely it is not fair to ask him to risk life and limb to handle rowdy drunks.

If there are issues though I would contact the County.

Dr. Phil A
07-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Dam was built by some beavers, somewhere near the bridge. It was not huge but it was keeping the walleye population at a decent level and a decent fishery.

My friend and I have caught some decent ones in there as well but they are getting few and far between. I have seen some decent ones caught on the fly just north of the dock.