PDA

View Full Version : need help - in fernie

MWD 800
07-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any info for the fernie area for fly fishing. I brought a buddy out here for his stag and none of us know the area. Any help no matter how small would be awesome

Joe

tacklerunner
07-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any info for the fernie area for fly fishing. I brought a buddy out here for his stag and none of us know the area. Any help no matter how small would be awesome

Joe

Well I can just say the Elk & tribs are probably my favorite flyfishing destinations ever. Go to the fly shop. Pay for a guide if you have to. You won't regret it and remember it forever

WayneChristie
07-05-2011, 07:31 AM
you could hit Surveyors for bass too

gprime27
07-05-2011, 08:22 AM
I grew up in that area, lived right on the elk river. what do you want to know? PM me

dryflyguy
07-05-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm with tacklerunner, if you're new to the area, get a guide. Go into the Elk River Guiding Company and talk to Paul, he's my uncle. They have a ton of fly fishing knowledge and know the area very well, could probably get a guide to take you on a float or a walk'n'wade.
If you're looking to float the Elk, I would personally recommend either from Sparwood to Garrett's or Garrett's to Hosmer.
For tribs, the Michel is a great creek to walk but it gets alot of traffic.
I'm not sure what kind of condition the Wigwam is in right now, but it is a great trib for big bull trout and lots of cutts, not to mention how beautiful it is.
Good luck

ÜberFly
07-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Remember that along with your reg BC license you will need a classified tag ($20/day) to fish the Elk and all of it's tribs (Michele, etc.)

P

lunker
07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
If You want nonstop action with Bass, go to Baynes Lake about 15 miles south of Elko, Just south of Fernie. Great for fly fishing. 8 to 10 in Largemouth with just about every cast. We caught and released about 60 this last wkend. Can be caught from shore, but a small boat is really needed. (mostly private prop. Electric motors only).