PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Jackfish

njd03
07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I know the basics of cleaning jack but I still cant & havnt seen it done where Im able to pick up on it. The y-bones really mess me up. I end up completely butchering it or just cook it & pick them out which is a pain.
Ive read & watched utube but its not the same as seeing it done & doin it.
Anyone know of any type of classes or anything that may offer the how to.
I can clean other types but the jack are frustrating me!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

Gus
07-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I know the basics of cleaning jack but I still cant & havnt seen it done where Im able to pick up on it. The y-bones really mess me up. I end up completely butchering it or just cook it & pick them out which is a pain.
Ive read & watched utube but its not the same as seeing it done & doin it.
Anyone know of any type of classes or anything that may offer the how to.
I can clean other types but the jack are frustrating me!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

I know you've said that you've watched videos but check out this link. I've found this is the easiest way to clean them and the video does a good job of explaining it.

http://www.thundermistfishingtips.com/video-how-to-fillet-a-pike-into-boneless-fillets

Lefty-Canuck
07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Easy once you know how...hard to explain on here how to do it though...you have to "feel" for them with your knife and you "fillet" them out...have to start out with a decent fillet knife (or it sure helps). Once you get the main fillet off about in the mid is where the bones lie, you have go down with the knife and fillet towards the backbone and peel it back. Then go in front of the midline Y bones and fillet underneath them.....lift the bones out and voila done.

LC

Moby Dick
07-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks Gus. I enjoyed that lesson!

I know you've said that you've watched videos but check out this link. I've found this is the easiest way to clean them and the video does a good job of explaining it.

http://www.thundermistfishingtips.com/video-how-to-fillet-a-pike-into-boneless-fillets

whitetail Junkie
07-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Very Quick and easy however.....To me it seems that they are wasteing alot of meat that's still on the carcass.

Lefty-Canuck
07-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Very Quick and easy however.....To me it seems that they are wasteing alot of meat that's still on the carcass.

X2

The way I do it (my Dad showed me how not going to take credit) the fillets come out one piece each, no bones, no holes, very little waste......take some practice but it works well.

LC

njd03
07-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanx guys for the help!
Yeah Ive never seen it done like in the video before! Have to try it.

aulrich
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Normally I would agree with the "more waste" statment, but...

I am not convinced any more.

I too, don't keep belly meat, my first cut removes belly meat.

And my rough cuts along the spine carries some waste too, my off side cut always seems iffy.

And depending on how clean the rough cut was the ammount lost to the y bones varries.

The strip left on is something to be concerned about.

But an upside is you only handle a fish once no rough cut then debone.

It's worth a try, I think

ssyd
07-05-2011, 05:14 PM
When I'm describing it to people I'm surprised how many people don't know to take that filet off the back. It's the best one! No effort required!

That video was the one I learned off of too. Very detailed and easy to follow.

Gus
07-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Ya true, I know some guys that can filet those buggers pretty good and get more meat off, but I'm not one one them. I've found that way the easiest way of getting the most meat without butchering it to the point that it looks like canned tuna :-)