PDA

View Full Version : Sealing an Aluminum Boat - Need Advice

HunterDave
07-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Last week I got my hands on a decent 14' Sears aluminum boat and I'd like to clean it up and re-seal the seams/rivets before putting it into the water. Could someone let me know what the best sealer to use is? I don't plan on painting it, just cleaning it up with vinegar and water, taking off the old sealer, masking the rows of rivets and re-sealing it.

I had a look at the asphalt based sealer and the spray on wheel well/underbody protector but I'd sooner ask for other people's experience first.

I'm headed to the lake and I'm prepping it this week so thank you in advance for your thoughts & recommendations. :wave:

LacLaBicheNS
07-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I sealed mine with mono exterior caulking. ITs been on for 1.5 months and works good so far. I know its not ideal, but I was caulking a tub and instead of trying to seal 3/4 tube of caulking I used it on my boat

bigdeer91
07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Last week I got my hands on a decent 14' Sears aluminum boat and I'd like to clean it up and re-seal the seams/rivets before putting it into the water. Could someone let me know what the best sealer to use is? I don't plan on painting it, just cleaning it up with vinegar and water, taking off the old sealer, masking the rows of rivets and re-sealing it.

I had a look at the asphalt based sealer and the spray on wheel well/underbody protector but I'd sooner ask for other people's experience first.

I'm headed to the lake and I'm prepping it this week so thank you in advance for your thoughts & recommendations. :wave:

i got my 12 foot aluminum boat done with that spray on truck box liner and it worked very well.

Bound2Fish
07-05-2011, 03:09 PM

You should check out a product called Glovit by Marinetex. It works great, I can attest to that.

Gust
07-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Hey Dave, what year, model and capacity (fingers crossed on older)? Ope, and how much? If you can fill it with water to check for leaks (after your retro-work) that would be great. Is it a cartopper or does it need a trailer? Thanks

lifesaflyin
07-05-2011, 08:28 PM
best stuff is go to Canadian tire in the boating isle and find amazing goop marine. it bonds whatever forever and they mean it.

it dries clear and remains flexible. and I think can even be applied underwater.
that stuff sticks and seals unlike anything I have ever seen. I use it on everything.

harryones
07-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Cablea's sells this stuff. I used it on my aluminum boat 2 yrs ago and never had a problem. Order two as it makes the shipping cost more bearable.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Accessories/Boat-Care-Appearance|/pc/104794380/c/104706180/sc/104227380/Cabelas-Aluminum-Boat-Patch/699968.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboati ng-boating-accessories-boat-care-appearance%2F_%2FN-1100604%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104227380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat1047 94380%253Bcat104706180

Hopefully this link works.

HunterDave
07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Hey Dave, what year, model and capacity (fingers crossed on older)? Ope, and how much? If you can fill it with water to check for leaks (after your retro-work) that would be great. Is it a cartopper or does it need a trailer? Thanks

It's an older one (Sears) and I figure it's got to be +30 years but in good shape. It came with a factory built trailer (Shorelander?) but it's all rusted except for the decals. I'm going to have to sand it right down and re-paint it. I'll probably rewire it as well for the cost of doing it.

I already have a 12' aluminum + trailer that I bought to drag through the bush to get to remote lakes in Ontario but I can't see me doing much of that in Alberta. I was thinking about putting my 9.9 Mariner on the 14' and selling the 12' with the trailer. It'll be a little harder to muscle it around but most of the lakes that I go to have a launch even if it's a make-shift one.

One of the 2 boats/trailers will be for sale eventually but I'd like to try the 14' one out before doing anything.