PDA

View Full Version : buying a new rod... advice

emigh64
07-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey,

My buddy snapped my old rod last time we went out fishing but slamming it in a car door. It was the one my grandpa got me when I was just a kid and now I need a new one... I do lots of fishing and hunting but when I walked into wholesale I realised I had no clue what kind of rod I want. and while im at it im gonna buy a new reel as well. So I am looking for input on what the best set up is, Id like to keep the rod a reel combo for under 250. I do both shore casting and boating (in the boat i like to jig and troll and stuff. I fish pike and walleye mostly but id like to get more into trout and stuff too. i know i want a spinner but i have no clue what kind. the fumous (i think thats how you spell it) was really nice when I went in and I am pretty sure I like a medium-light rod but my old one was a medium and i want to make sure it will still gold up to the big pike a pull in.

thanks

Braun
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Fenwick HMG. A great rod and not terribly priced. it has great feel for jigging and has the back bone to win the fight. Also has the best handle on the market IMO. very comfortable when dry or wet and does not take away from the sensitivity. also very reasonably priced for the quality of rod. reccomend a 6'6 for you.

In terms of reels, Personally I paired my fenwick with a quantum catalyst. the catalyst is a great reel with a really smooth reel and drag system personally i love quantum reels. never have failed me

. I originally got my fenwick to use as a multipurpose rod -> jigging, river fishing, and have even used it for bottom bouncing. performed well in all situations. Now I have 6 rodsfor various applications but the fenwick is still my goto rod.

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
met Dace today at WSS...he showed me a rack of premium rods that were highly discounted on the rack furthest from the front door
some great deals on G Loomis rods in the front racks too.

I even picked up a ugly stick....but Dace started to laugh and ran away....guess i embarrassed him..i gave the rod a shake and had to wait 15 minutes before it stopped flopping around so i could rerack it

Cal
07-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I've got nice rods and I've got cheap rods but my Ugly Stick lite gets more use than any of them. I have a Daiwa BG 15 reel on it which is about as close to bomb proof as they get, not as nice to fish with as most of my other rigs but its built to last.

maclennanchris
07-05-2011, 05:34 PM
FENWICK, ST CROIX, G. LOOMIS are all nice rods. Been loving my Quantum Energy as of late.....

Gust
07-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Fenwick HMG. A great rod and not terribly priced. it has great feel for jigging and has the back bone to win the fight. Also has the best handle on the market IMO. very comfortable when dry or wet and does not take away from the sensitivity. also very reasonably priced for the quality of rod. reccomend a 6'6 for you.

In terms of reels, Personally I paired my fenwick with a quantum catalyst. the catalyst is a great reel with a really smooth reel and drag system personally i love quantum reels. never have failed me

. I originally got my fenwick to use as a multipurpose rod -> jigging, river fishing, and have even used it for bottom bouncing. performed well in all situations. Now I have 6 rodsfor various applications but the fenwick is still my goto rod.

Uhm, brauno? There is one "C" in recommend and two "M's".

Can't say it any other way but he does have a really nice Fenwick. I saw a rod on the WSS sales shelf that almost made me weep, can't remember the name but wowzers, medium/light/heavy action. Check out the sales shelf there.

tacklerunner
07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Try not to get into brand as much as feel. There have been so many posts on this topic and everyone has a different opinion. More money doesn't always mean better. Whatever feels best in your hands and has a nice balance is the BEST.

My multi purpose rod is green and was $40, the reel is silver and was $40, 1 spool is spooled with 10 lb green braid $15, the other spool also has green braid but 20 lb test $15. And I like it even if Chubb thinks I'm nutz!!! Last time I went out and fished with 4 other hardcore forum members we all had different set ups and I can attest, we all nearly did equally poorly as the other. :)

Gust
07-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Try not to get into brand as much as feel. There have been so many posts on this topic and everyone has a different opinion. More money doesn't always mean better. Whatever feels best in your hands and has a nice balance is the BEST.

My multi purpose rod is green and was $40, the reel is silver and was $40, 1 spool is spooled with 10 lb green braid $15, the other spool also has green braid but 20 lb test $15. And I like it even if Chubb thinks I'm nutz!!! Last time I went out and fished with 4 other hardcore forum members we all had different set ups and I can attest, we all nearly did equally poorly as the other. :)

bingo,,,,X1000
and hahaha

my graphite is an earlier make, brand rubbed off, love to know what it is but cost me $10 used,,, it's a crap shoot. My favorite rod is 40+years old and fibreglass and re-eyed and re-handled and too much fun to talk about.

Mitchell 300 reel

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 05:59 PM

lol....i dont think anyone is nutz....i fish with what feels better in my hand. It all personal preference.
Can a rod make a bad fisherman a great fisherman...naah
Can a great fisherman catch fish with any equipment....yaa most times

Fished with Duster this past week.....i doubt his whole outfit costs more than the Suffix on my 300 buck outfit......he kicked my butt all winter and the butt kicking continues into the summer. He landed 20 jumbo perch before i even hooked up

just fish people

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
that being said....i still believe in the advantages of specific equipment....long rods for long casts.....rods that are spined for acurate spot casting...rods with parabolic tips for casting tender live baits.....live blanks from tip to butt for rigging and trolling cranks.
It all personal choice.
I golf too...but my clubs cost less than 1 john daley wood

NSRfishing
07-05-2011, 06:19 PM
i like my rapala r-type rod 6'7 extra fast action medium heavy power great river rod

camshaft
07-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Well since you said your budget is $250ish for a rod/reel, hopefully people wont be suggesting uglysticks and the like. Not that Im bashing them, but come on, he has some money to spend, so he shud be able to get a decent high end set up.

For me, the big criteria now a days is warranty. I prefer the high end Shimano products purely due to their lifetime warranty. For $250 you should be able to find a Shimano Stradic Reel (not the CI4 unfortunately), and a Compre Rod.

You mentioned that you will be catching pike/eyes and trolling. You probably wont want a med/light rod for that. Your arms and wrists will hate you. A 7ft med action rod will cover the majority of fishing you will probably be doing.

At that price range, it opens up a world of opportunity for a good combo. I have been unlucky with the Quantum PT series reels and have cracked the ceramic drags a few times. Because of that, I stay away from their reels. Their rods are very good though.

Fenwick, Shimano, St Croix, even BPS all have great rods in the $100 price range. You may or may not catch more fish with a higher end rod and reel, but I guarentee you will enjoy your fishing experience more :)

Another thing to consider is the drag ratings of reel. A higher end reel will get you in that 15-20lbs of drag, which is very good.

emigh64
07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
thanks,

I think me and my buddy are going to head up to bass pro on saterday for the bigger selection and such. its nice because since he broke it hes gna help pay thats why i have such a big budget. ill probably end up going with a 7' fenwick of some sorts but still no idea for a reel. i know what i probably wont buy.

thanks again

EZM
07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
For $250 you could buy 2 decent set ups. I am partial to Shimano rods/reels but have Abu's, Quantums and almost every brand made probably. There is some difference in cost and quality but the cheaper and mid market stuff is really closing the gap on performance on the "really good $$$$ stuff".

My $90 set up is not clearly desernable (not much different) from my $500 set up to be quite honest. The only difference is there is no sticky food and crap on my $500 set up because the kids don't get to use it !!! lol.

I'd get a light action (for perch, trout, etc...) and a meduim light for everything else except lakers and stergeon.

FishGuy07
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Well since you said your budget is $250ish for a rod/reel, hopefully people wont be suggesting uglysticks and the like. Not that Im bashing them, but come on, he has some money to spend, so he shud be able to get a decent high end set up.

For me, the big criteria now a days is warranty. I prefer the high end Shimano products purely due to their lifetime warranty. For $250 you should be able to find a Shimano Stradic Reel (not the CI4 unfortunately), and a Compre Rod.

You mentioned that you will be catching pike/eyes and trolling. You probably wont want a med/light rod for that. Your arms and wrists will hate you. A 7ft med action rod will cover the majority of fishing you will probably be doing.

At that price range, it opens up a world of opportunity for a good combo. I have been unlucky with the Quantum PT series reels and have cracked the ceramic drags a few times. Because of that, I stay away from their reels. Their rods are very good though.

Fenwick, Shimano, St Croix, even BPS all have great rods in the $100 price range. You may or may not catch more fish with a higher end rod and reel, but I guarentee you will enjoy your fishing experience more :)

Another thing to consider is the drag ratings of reel. A higher end reel will get you in that 15-20lbs of drag, which is very good.

Great advice! How about something more specific: a St. Croix Triumph 2-piece medium action spinning rod (Wholesale Sports Calgary) and a Shimano Stradic 2500 FI reel (on sale, WSS again, only 2 left) :)

Braun
07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Uhm, brauno? There is one "C" in recommend and two "M's".

soory. I was in a hurrey and didn't not have time to take a carefull look at my gramer

Speckle55
07-06-2011, 10:30 AM
if i were you i would get a medium action Graphite Rod in the 100$ range and a reel open face in the same range.. i have 3 that i use all the time and are tied up ready to go at the lake.. i use Lightning Rods by Berkley and differnt reels all work good and i try to keep clean and new line as needed.. ps i am a little bias as Berkley had a promotion in the 80's and gave me $1000 for using their rod and another grand for using thier line in catching a WR Rocky Mountain Whitefish IGFA .. as you use your new rod you will love the Graphites as the fight they give are Awesome.. remember it is you the angler that makes the fishing great .. your equipment does not have to be the best.. food for thought:thinking-006: . David

fluxcore
07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Ive owned expensive rods but I always come back to my cheap shimano FX its tough and Ive pulled in some big pike with it. I found a few more online for $15 a rod:) and picked up a few, Im still on my first one going on 5 years!!!!!!!!! love it.

chubbdarter
07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
Ive owned expensive rods but I always come back to my cheap shimano FX its tough and Ive pulled in some big pike with it. I found a few more online for $15 a rod:) and picked up a few, Im still on my first one going on 5 years!!!!!!!!! love it.

watch for sales...ive seen them in garbage cans on sale for 9.99

fluxcore
07-06-2011, 08:40 PM
watch for sales...ive seen them in garbage cans on sale for 9.99

Will do:) those Rods look great in my brand new Lund rebel boat or even in the new truck that toes it:acigar:
I spend money where money is due, did I mention it wears a $250 quantum energy E100SPTS, Its a great rod thats why I fish with it regardless of the price tag.........really I could care less. Stay tuned for pics of the lakers it brings in.