PDA

View Full Version : Sylvans Gonna Be Bursting With Fish

Dust1n
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Sylvans Gonna Be Bursting With Fish :sHa_shakeshout:
at marina bay iv seen lots of baby pike around 15 of them.(2inchers)
lots of mid sized pike(4-7lbs) and a large pike(22lbs?) sitting by the potoon boat.
a new population of perch arose this year too i seen well over 200 junvanile perch swimming around.(2inches)
plenty of larger whitefish swimming around the cannel in 1-2 feet of water(3lbs)
and the walleye are in all sizes(.5-5lbs)

i cant wait till 5+ years when this lake becomes a true trophy lake with lots of fish to come again.hopefully the hardwater season dont wipe them out :sHa_shakeshout:

bloopbloob
07-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Haha, too funny. Sorry to bring bad news, but seeing a few hundred minnows and fish near a boat dock doesn't mean a trophy fishery is in the future. But hey, I hope you're right.

Dust1n
07-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Haha, too funny. Sorry to bring bad news, but seeing a few hundred minnows and fish near a boat dock doesn't mean a trophy fishery is in the future. But hey, I hope you're right.

sorry could have expanded. there all over usaly by now there all gone.
and its all over the lake, i havent seen that many fish in awhile. i checked both marinas, peir, and birchcliff, sunny side cover filled with lots of fish this year.
i also seen perch something alot of people havent seen in our lake in awhile weather its a good or bad thing donno. and no suckers yet. if it continous this way hopefully we get our fishery back to regualr status!

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
this is prime example of someone who is intimate with the lake...its history and its present state.
I wish biologists would take advantage of the knowledge of some anglers with good data of certain waters.

You keep notes kiddo and watch carefully

pickrel pat
07-05-2011, 06:45 PM
know how many 2 inch fry out of 100,000 make it to maturity?

ORVIS
07-05-2011, 07:12 PM
not good

Bhflyfisher
07-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Its like watching people get all giddy when millions of coho salmon fry are released into rivers by hatcheries. Yay the fishing is going to be great in 2-4 years.

Their results =

a return of 400 fish.

Of course that ocean survival rate,

but when pike fingerlings, walleye fingerlings live in a lake with high count of predatory fish. Bigger fish eat smaller fish. Do the math... Like before some fish make it through. Key word being some

Hopefully you're right dustin, but dont count on it.

chubbdarter
07-05-2011, 08:10 PM
we all know the prey and predator eqaution.
Dustin is very intimate with the lake....he is reporting something he hasnt seen before.
Dustin i hope you keep reporting what you witness....i find cause and result on a all bodies of water interesting.

Could the higher water in the lake allowed for a better spawn?

Kokanee9
07-05-2011, 08:36 PM
It is also a possibility of things being a lot later than normal as well and the minnows and fry have not spread out into other areas yet.

Opinions - yes/no?

pickrel pat
07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
It is also a possibility of things being a lot later than normal as well and the minnows and fry have not spread out into other areas yet.

Opinions - yes/no?i would think a later hatch would be bad for survival rates or not as good. whereas an early spring may give the fry more time to eat in the summers fertility. more time to suck insects off the surface in the shallows etc. before the big ice hit. not sure though.

TyreeUM
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
this is prime example of someone who is intimate with the lake...its history and its present state.
I wish biologists would take advantage of the knowledge of some anglers with good data of certain waters.

You keep notes kiddo and watch carefully

this is a really good point. I am forever in debt to my first boss after moving to saskatchewan. He was a long time fisheries guy from sask and I was a fresh biologist out of college with his first job. He taught me a lot of things but the most important thing I learned from him is how valuable local information can be.
FH7 - one major thing that separates a weekend fisherman from a master angler is being observant in the places you fish, and as Chub has already said - I hope you keep a notebook on this stuff!

Dust1n
07-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Its like watching people get all giddy when millions of coho salmon fry are released into rivers by hatcheries. Yay the fishing is going to be great in 2-4 years.

Their results =

a return of 400 fish.

Of course that ocean survival rate,

but when pike fingerlings, walleye fingerlings live in a lake with high count of predatory fish. Bigger fish eat smaller fish. Do the math... Like before some fish make it through. Key word being some

Hopefully you're right dustin, but dont count on it.

im aware of that if everything wasnt in realistivity our lakes would be over flowing with newly stocked fish.

this is a really good point. I am forever in debt to my first boss after moving to saskatchewan. He was a long time fisheries guy from sask and I was a fresh biologist out of college with his first job. He taught me a lot of things but the most important thing I learned from him is how valuable local information can be.
FH7 - one major thing that separates a weekend fisherman from a master angler is being observant in the places you fish, and as Chub has already said - I hope you keep a notebook on this stuff!

and im goning to start keeping a note book on this stuff thanks
PM sent

TyreeUM
07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
you will be surprised how quickly you will learn new things by just writing down a few quick notes on your day. Many of the pro's got to where they are today by doing this kinda thing, and most of them still do it today.

bigshu
07-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Don't forget those pelicans, how many pounds of fish do they consume in a day?

Pikebreath
07-06-2011, 09:15 AM
High water years generally translate into strong year classes for lake dwelling species as newly flooded areas and vegetation create more spawning habitat, an invertebrate explosion (more food for newly hatched fry) and more cover / water that allow more fry to avoid predation.

Good for you, Fish Hunter, in making your observations, most anglers would never connect the dots.

Gust
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
im aware of that if everything wasnt in realistivity our lakes would be over flowing with newly stocked fish.

and im goning to start keeping a note book on this stuff thanks
PM sent

when you log fishing days, note things like moon cycle that day, interesting weather patterns (i.e., a squall blew in and the fishing was nuts), turbidity, and get yourself a small barometer and note hig/low pressure days.. not necessarily things such as lures or hatch (though this is important too).

buckman
07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
If every spawning fish has two or three survive to maturity the population should be stable in the lake.Remember that any body of water can only suport a certain amount of larger predetory fish.

Deano
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM

How many Pat? And if he saw that many fish, how many do you think he didn't see?

pickrel pat
07-06-2011, 06:31 PM
How many Pat? And if he saw that many fish, how many do you think he didn't see?there are many variables to each lake, but its very low. good thing the mature fish spit out as many eggs as they do! (cant have a specific number deana, that would be impossible.)

Kokanee9
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Dustin, you have no idea how much I hope your correct that Sylvan will be a trophy lake in the future.

Sylvan and Gull are 2 of my favorite lakes. Natural lakes have something that reservoirs just don't have and can't duplicate.

However, take a look at the population explosion at Sylvan in the last 15-20 years. I just don't see it easing up in the future either. It has gone from a summer town to a year round large town. I drove through it last summer and was just shocked at how much it has grown. I used to spend summers there when I was young and the change was unbelievable.

The fishing pressure is going to grow tremendously in the next 10-15 years at Sylvan and I hope that the lake can keep up. One of the things that may help it is something like a catch and release only in the future. Only then can I see the fish being able to keep up with the fishing pressure.

pikester
07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
High water years generally translate into strong year classes for lake dwelling species as newly flooded areas and vegetation create more spawning habitat, an invertebrate explosion (more food for newly hatched fry) and more cover / water that allow more fry to avoid predation.

Good for you, Fish Hunter, in making your observations, most anglers would never connect the dots.

Bingo! You nailed it here, the biggest downfall (of prarie lakes especially) is all the spawning & rearing habitat loss due to low water, filling-in & draining of wetlands, & shore side development.

Dust1n
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Dustin, you have no idea how much I hope your correct that Sylvan will be a trophy lake in the future.

Sylvan and Gull are 2 of my favorite lakes. Natural lakes have something that reservoirs just don't have and can't duplicate.

However, take a look at the population explosion at Sylvan in the last 15-20 years. I just don't see it easing up in the future either. It has gone from a summer town to a year round large town. I drove through it last summer and was just shocked at how much it has grown. I used to spend summers there when I was young and the change was unbelievable.

The fishing pressure is going to grow tremendously in the next 10-15 years at Sylvan and I hope that the lake can keep up. One of the things that may help it is something like a catch and release only in the future. Only then can I see the fish being able to keep up with the fishing pressure.

i hope im right.
it appears not all the ice shacks out on the south side are keeping fish and are practising C&R and how impartant it is.
the 9lb pike i caught at the bay a couple days ago has been caught alot by the anglers i seen untill one kept it (legal) which is ok but that shows alot of people are resisntng the temptation to keep it. BTW the person who kept it is younger then me.
iv fished outside of marina bay and the people who im talking to never seen a single fish to catch.
if it countoues the way it does i dont see why not sylvans fishery returning.