PDA

View Full Version : Brookies

sureshot
07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
I am new to fly fishing and I am heading out to chickakoo tonight I was wondering what flies work the best any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Speckle55
07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
are you floating or trolling or shore fishing?:thinking-006:

Scotty P.
07-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I can't help you with what flies to use but someone on here did tell me that Brookies are big minnow preditors and I have found this to be true myself. I'm not too familiar with Fly Fishing but if you have or they make minnow patters, I would definately give them a try. Hope this helps somewhat.

Dust1n
07-06-2011, 10:12 AM
I am new to fly fishing and I am heading out to chickakoo tonight I was wondering what flies work the best any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

black orange flies! micky fins work great in that combination and repond aggresivly to 2 hard strips. Always start with dries at chickacoo the fish arnt too big and more then likly there fish rising.

fishinggeek
07-06-2011, 10:13 AM
iv been out there 4 times this year. just use a long casting bobber and a small hook with a 1 inch piece of worm on 2-4lb test. ill catch 20+ each time out in a 2hr period.

Willowtrail
07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Hey Andy, I was there last Tuesday and was only able to get rainbows. I was using a bead headed nymph (gold bead and some red on the body) with floating line. I'm new getting into fly fishing as well. Caught my first rainbow on a fly there last week and yesterday I got into walleye and a couple small pike. It was pretty awesome. We'll have to hit a lake together someday soon.

338Bluff
07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Carry Special, Dr. Spratley, Double Shrimp.

Fish full sink line with agressive strip.

maclennanchris
07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
was out there today and had a hard time with all the trees. think i might bring the boat out there on sunday and give it a shot

sureshot
07-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey Andy, I was there last Tuesday and was only able to get rainbows. I was using a bead headed nymph (gold bead and some red on the body) with floating line. I'm new getting into fly fishing as well. Caught my first rainbow on a fly there last week and yesterday I got into walleye and a couple small pike. It was pretty awesome. We'll have to hit a lake together someday soon.

That sounds like a an I even have a boat now.

Andy

densa44
07-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Alberta has some of the best trout streams on the planet. As far as brook trout are concerned they will take a fly on the surface very readily, if you know what a coachman is or a elk hair caddis, you'll catch some. Careful with the cast and the wading, casting distance is NOT the key careful presentation is. Cast to the rising fish if possible.