PDA

View Full Version : Flyfish Teachers Wanted

Gust
07-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Ok, so yes I did get a big chunk of mail for the trout spot but only 3 were given the spot,,, the nature of every single letter was gracious and honest and there are a lot of members who don't post on the main threads and there was a common theme throughout all the letters/PM's (and not because I requested it);
so it gave me an idea;
There is the sticky for the ride share at the top of the Fishing board but another one needs to be put up solely catering to newbies to the flyworld who would like to "hook-up" and get some crash tips on casting or working a stream type. It can be intimidating seeing some "pro's" out there and there is that standoffish nature of the flyfolk and we do fish for solitude and yes the learning on your own part is a big part of the game (that never ends) but it's not a ready to go fishing like the other types and recommending youtube vids or trying to articulate feeding line on the forums doesn't always cut it. Also, not everyone have oodles to drop on lessons (adult + child), I'm not trying to undercut the courses offered but want to create a sticky board where seasoned flyfolk can say "I will be here at so and so time and can offer an hour geared towards river reading." or matching hatch to flies on hand or casting with a crosswind, etc.

Any thoughts on how to word it and are there any flyfolk of any range willing to give pointers?

jts1
07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Great idea. I am always willing to help out with what I can. Would be willing to get a guy or two out for a day of learning a few things. Can do lakes or streams. I am not the best in the world but I can sure pass on some good tips and locations.

sureshot
07-06-2011, 11:46 AM
This is an excellent idea. I myself am new to fly fishing and any pointers would help.

Andy

Dust1n
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
im thinking we should do this at the bow river. the big browns for a begginer will definitly up your skills 10 fold. it will give you a real concept of wild trout and wont be too easy but not too hard and lots of big fish for everyone

chubbdarter
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Dace would be a good instructor

Twobits
07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Having just bought my First fly rod this year and being skunked 6 out of my last 7 times out i think going out with someone for tips/advice is a fantastic idea. My casting is good and i can be pretty accurate but my retrieval and fly choices (River and lake) are in need of an overhaul.

Fishing near other fly fishers who are on the fish and your not even getting bites is very frustrating. :sign0176:

Gust
07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Having just bought my First fly rod this year and being skunked 6 out of my last 7 times out i think going out with someone for tips/advice is a fantastic idea. My casting is good and i can be pretty accurate but my retrieval and fly choices (River and lake) are in need of an overhaul.

Fishing near other fly fishers who are on the fish and your not even getting bites is very frustrating. :sign0176:

So we have a candidate,,, any tutors for Twobits to tag along with?

gl2
07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Where are you located?

Twobits
07-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Where are you located?

I live in Red Deer.

Went out tonight to a little trout pond just recently stocked, messed around with different flys and retrievals and actually had some luck. Used up a full tippet before i found a fly they wanted. Nice feeling being able to keep up with the bait fishers.

They were jumping like crazy and alot of little ones clearing the water. Had to make an emergency run into Eckville to buy some skeeter spray before i lost too much blood.

quad_hopper
07-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I would be very interested in lessons/pointers. I bought all the gear last year. I even took the fly fishing boot camp to learn how to cast. I have went out on the bow close to 15 times with no luck. I have tried numerous lakes with no luck. I went and bought the book of hatches when I went to Wholesale to talk to the guys there for some advice and then wouldn't really help and told me to buy the book. So, like I said, I bought it and started reading it. Back out to the river I went, still no luck. I realize it's called fishing and not catching but I'm clearly amateur. My casting is not the best, but I try. I certainly have no idea apparently how to read the river as I'm completely clueless. Any help from anyone would be much appreciated. I keep my gear in the vehicle as I like to go whenever I can. I just don't know what I'm doing at all unfortunately. I do believe a person has to learn on their own and I have been trying and reading everything I can and applying it, however, its not happening. So, at any point, if anyone is willing to help, that would be great. Still waiting for my first fish on a fly rod. Thanks!!

commieboy
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
A great idea, Mahler. In addition to arranging private meetings, maybe you or someone else could organize a group outing. Make it an AOF casting clinic, bbq and shoreline cleanup.

jts1
07-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Where are you located quad?

FishBrain
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
This is a great Idea, a Sticky would be awesome.
I am fairly new to fly fishing, I can cast not to bad, but would take someone up on lessons for using streemers and different flies. Also matching the hatch.

quad_hopper
07-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm located in Calgary.

jts1
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Well let me know when you are free or anyone for that matter. Always willing to take someone out and sling the flyrod. We can hit some local ponds or even go out to the Livingstone and wade for a few miles. My inbox or email is always open for things like that.

Gust
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Well let me know when you are free or anyone for that matter. Always willing to take someone out and sling the flyrod. We can hit some local ponds or even go out to the Livingstone and wade for a few miles. My inbox or email is always open for things like that.

yay it's working but not stickied yet.

I guess another point is,,,, even if you are a just over the bump-novice but a getting a grasp of it, you can be a teacher too,, it's not like you have to be Mike Mailey or Garth Soby or Waychuck (great surname for a flyguy) and besides there's nothing better than discussing flow-type with someone IMO.

chubbdarter
07-07-2011, 02:56 PM
yay it's working but not stickied yet.

I guess another point is,,,, even if you are a just over the bump-novice but a getting a grasp of it, you can be a teacher too,, it's not like you have to be Mike Mailey or Garth Soby or Waychuck (great surname for a flyguy) and besides there's nothing better than discussing flow-type with someone IMO.

wow the bar is set really high

tonyflyfish
07-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I am also out at Twin by RMH this weekend so anyone want to see what not do come on down!
Cathy Flygirl showed me her way of fishing this lake and am glad to pass on the info. She can handle a fly rod better than anyone I have ever seen.
Green jon boat with pedestal seat. Jayco trailer and at least one small dog (don't ask)

T

diamonddave
07-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Were headed to the livingstone next Thursday, if you get bored of twin and want to join....... If its fishable that is.......

drifter
07-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I started fly fishing the spring before last and would be interested in any trip. I havent ventured out to any other rivers other than the Bow. The wife and kids don't like me to go to far by myself.

sureshot
07-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Is there anybody in the spruce grove or edmonton area willing to teach.

Andy

Lefty-Canuck
07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Is there anybody in the spruce grove or edmonton area willing to teach.

Andy

I don't know if I am one for teaching (im inexperienced as well) but I hit the Beaumont pond from time to time I catch fish and get lots of hits....if you want to pop down there some time let me know. I can show you what I do but I might teach you bad habits! lol

LC

npauls
07-08-2011, 12:29 AM
If anyone wants a few tips and tricks down in the south around Lethbridge message me and I will do my best to help out. I am by no means a pro but will try my best to get you into some fish and a bit more confident on techniques.

Gust
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
I just got this letter and suggested it be posted, the fellow is fine with me pasting it here. Even though it has to do with the "Huge Trout" thread, I think it's more fitting to be posted here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I live in Edmonton so I'm not familiar with fishing in the Calgary area, other than the Bow River. I have done about a dozen floats on the Bow in the past 30 years and I hope to do it more often now that I have a drift boat ( I got a great deal on a 4 year old home built boat and trailer for $800). I used to fish the Bow occasionally when we visited my wife's parents in Calgary. I now have a 23 year old son who is getting serious about fly fishing so I hope to do more floats now than in the past.

The reason I am responding to your thread is that my 76 year old father-in-law has never caught a Trout bigger than 10" on a fly rod. He does not swim and has already declined to float the Bow with me as the river scares him. I would love to get him somewhere that he could catch a sizeable trout on a fly rod. It does not have to be the small pond that you mentioned, however, if you are aware of any spots close to Calgary where I could take him I would greatly appreciate the tip.

highwood
07-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I just got this letter and suggested it be posted, the fellow is fine with me pasting it here. Even though it has to do with the "Huge Trout" thread, I think it's more fitting to be posted here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I live in Edmonton so I'm not familiar with fishing in the Calgary area, other than the Bow River. I have done about a dozen floats on the Bow in the past 30 years and I hope to do it more often now that I have a drift boat ( I got a great deal on a 4 year old home built boat and trailer for $800). I used to fish the Bow occasionally when we visited my wife's parents in Calgary. I now have a 23 year old son who is getting serious about fly fishing so I hope to do more floats now than in the past.

The reason I am responding to your thread is that my 76 year old father-in-law has never caught a Trout bigger than 10" on a fly rod. He does not swim and has already declined to float the Bow with me as the river scares him. I would love to get him somewhere that he could catch a sizeable trout on a fly rod. It does not have to be the small pond that you mentioned, however, if you are aware of any spots close to Calgary where I could take him I would greatly appreciate the tip.

See my name....doesn't get much prettier than that with plenty of fish over 10 inches that aren't terribly difficult to catch :)

chinchaga07
07-09-2011, 09:17 AM
This is what this site is about....people helping out people. I have been flyfishing for over 20 years and still learning everytime I go out (which is few and far between these days). I would definitely be up to showing some of my bad habits to other fellow fly fisherman,:cheers:. By no means am I an expert but would be willing to pass on any tips I could. I am in central AB and primarily have fished the creeks in the sundre caroline area as well as the bow.:)

jngjess
07-09-2011, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=chinchaga07;1005588]This is what this site is about....people helping out people. I have been flyfishing for over 20 years and still learning everytime I go out (which is few and far between these days).

I would second this! I see so many helpful posts, and can't wait to land our first fish from all the great advice we've found. We're a looonnggg way from flyfishing, but you people have all helped to encourage us to keep trying at what we're doing!

(insert thank-you smilie here!)

smitty9
07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey everyone:

Despite being only a substitute teacher, I was at a big school (K-9) almost everyday this past year. Hence I got to know the teachers, kids, and admin pretty well.

So I was given permission to run a flyfishing club, and the kids had blast. Long story short, I love to teach kids flyfishing, and I live in Summerside, and there are some trout in there (man-made lake), and tons of perch. Fishing has slowed down lately.

I'd be willing to take some beginners out, however, my July is really busy. But feel free to keep me in mind for August (maybe sometime in July) and for the future.

Cheers,
Mike
(Smitty)

Lefty-Canuck
07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Smitty,

I knew about the trout in Summerside.....were the perch stocked? or did they "walk" into there?.....just curious.

LC

Dust1n
07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
hey GM where is this even going to take place and when? when i get back from my trip i may be able to come

Gust
07-09-2011, 01:06 PM
hey GM where is this even going to take place and when? when i get back from my trip i may be able to come

It's not a specific day and time,, it's more like this,,, some people above have said where they are and can be contacted/pm'd by newbies or vice versa, newbies have posted and you can pm them and say, I will be at this spot on this river at this time wearing a yellow vest and flyfishing with really heavy streamers.

However, commie boy did mention something that could be worked out, an AO member meet on the Bow. A newbie through bad habit through lexus flyfolk meet and greet and flytie bbq.

Another one that would be great, is people in Calgary offering Bow/Highwood/ Sheep day trips to people completely at a loss from Edmonton and further who might want to venture to Calgary but aren't as afforded as others, or they have a boat to float but don't know the launch and pick up points or what to expect on the river or where to shore-it for an hour or two. A tag along for out of towners.

I'd like this thread to remain strictly newbie flyfishing as the other ride-share-buddy-sticky is mostly harware and such.

Heavy K
07-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Any experienced flyfisherfolk interested in a midweek early morning/evening trip to the Bow this week? It sounds as if dries are starting to pick up. I have what I need for equipment. I won't cross your your line or rip your ear off with a wayward cast. I won't put your fish down - at least dleiberately. In fact, I'm pretty content to watch and learn. Or perhaps, those experienced flyfisherfolk have taken a look at the forecasted precipitation for the week and might wisely advise me that a trip to the river would be a waste of time...

Kindly,

HK

AndrewM
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Does any of the experience people fish in the NW? I have tried a bunch of times up by the Bearspaw Dam but haven't had any luck. I am brand new to fly fishing and keep getting temped to toss out a spinner but do not want to give up. Please let me know and I can meet you there sometime!
Cheers,
Andrew

biggyJ
07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I fish in the nw of Calgary but never as far up as bears paw. I have few spots below there that I know hold fish. I could be enticed to meet up and show you some of those spots.

AndrewM
07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I fish in the nw of Calgary but never as far up as bears paw. I have few spots below there that I know hold fish. I could be enticed to meet up and show you some of those spots.

PM sent. Willing to drive anywhere in the city but afterwork fishing with little driving helps.

BGAngler
07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I would definitely love to learn how to flyfish. I'll be grabbing some second hand equipment later this summer and I'll gladly pick up any tips past what I can find on the internet etc. I'll be in touch :D

great forum.

Dust1n
07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
It's not a specific day and time,, it's more like this,,, some people above have said where they are and can be contacted/pm'd by newbies or vice versa, newbies have posted and you can pm them and say, I will be at this spot on this river at this time wearing a yellow vest and flyfishing with really heavy streamers.

However, commie boy did mention something that could be worked out, an AO member meet on the Bow. A newbie through bad habit through lexus flyfolk meet and greet and flytie bbq.

Another one that would be great, is people in Calgary offering Bow/Highwood/ Sheep day trips to people completely at a loss from Edmonton and further who might want to venture to Calgary but aren't as afforded as others, or they have a boat to float but don't know the launch and pick up points or what to expect on the river or where to shore-it for an hour or two. A tag along for out of towners.

I'd like this thread to remain strictly newbie flyfishing as the other ride-share-buddy-sticky is mostly harware and such.

im not by any means pro just starting out. (2years or so).

And im going to the bow tommrow for the stonefly hatch

Gust
07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
im not by any means pro just starting out. (2years or so).

And im going to the bow tommrow for the stonefly hatch

yeah but your 2 years is equal to some who have been flyin for 10,,, everyone is a teacher,,, I think most people are pretty good but don't have the opportunities to try different techniques or steams, lakes, species. I think the key is to not get too wound up about the catching part or just sitting and watching.

Have fun with Dace, but don't say the word "Sausages", honestly, I learned the hard way.

alodar
08-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Im in the edmonton area looking to improve my cast

Eddy62
08-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Where are you located quad?

when i took up fly fishing it was because of you i watched your marvel lake video and was amazed, i took lessons too and am not that good but if you pros get together i would like to come.i got same story as quad lol