PDA

View Full Version : Castle Area Golden Trout Lakes

Scott N
07-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I seriously thinking about hitting Rainy Ridge or Southforks Lakes this summer because at age 45, my knees won't be taking me for much longer. I've never caught a golden trout and it's one that's on my bucket list.

Has anyone been to both of these lakes in the past? I'm just wondering how the hike difficulty / time compares? I ask because I probably won't be able to do an over-nighter.

From what I know Rainy Ridge usually fishes a little better? Any comments on either lake?

Off in the Bushes
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
I have only been to the Southfork lakes (upper lakes fish better) and there is a trail that you can hike, there is some steap spots but you can do it in a few hours if you are in ok shape. I too have heard that Rainy fishes better, but it is harder to get to as I heard there is no trail. (never been there myself)

chubbdarter
07-06-2011, 02:47 PM
call Vic at the CNA

Scott N
07-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I know more or less where the trailheads to both areas, but I've also heard that Rainy Ridge is harder to find.

I've thought about trying to get some info from Vic, I'll check into that further.

Can anyone else add their experience?

lucky_magic_stick
07-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Scott there's lots of threads on the goldens just do a search here's one that comes to mind http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=81421&highlight=golden+trout hope this helps a little cheers Andy

chubbdarter
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I know more or less where the trailheads to both areas, but I've also heard that Rainy Ridge is harder to find.

I've thought about trying to get some info from Vic, I'll check into that further.

i was there along time ago...its just best you get up to date info....on trail conditions and Grizzley situatons

ivanl
07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

I've been to both. Rainy's an easier hike I believe. Mind you, we had 50 lb packs (too much bacon and beverages) up Barnaby. Got skunked at Barnaby, but I think it was just a bad day. Never fished Rainy, but I'd like to this year.

Would love to hear your results if you make it out.