PDA

View Full Version : Winefred Lake Tips?

Jack Man
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi, I'm going to Winefred Lake in a couple of week and I was wondering what work well in that lake for walleye and pike

Pixel Shooter
07-07-2011, 12:03 PM
really no different than other lakes, red and white or 5 of diamonds, rapalas, plugs, just biggie sized lures. greens and tiger colored worked best for rapalas/ plugs but that was early June. dont cheap out, but a good leader ;)

Jack Man
07-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks! what kind of Rapalas? i have tuns, but i think imma pick up somemore before the trip

jordan6543
07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Was up there a few years back, the red and yellow five of diamonds and fire tiger len thomsons worked well for both walleye and pike. The pike also seemed to like a plain silver len thomson.

There is also a sunken island somewhere in the middle of lake (we couldn't find it) that the people at the lodge know about. If you have a gps (we didn't) i believe they had the coordinates.

Jack Man
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks!

fitzy
07-07-2011, 05:17 PM
I've been to Winnifred every years for almost the last 20 years, The guy that said get a good leader gave you the best advice you can get. I'd recommend 5 diamonds and ratln raps in fire tiger for my 2 go to lures but I've caught them on everything up there. This late in the year I'd stick mostly to deep water like in the narrows on the north end of the lake. That being said I've caught plenty of Walleye in 4' of water late july, so as the saying goes the fish are where you find them.

Good luck, keep us posted with how you made out. It's been a couple years since I've been up, the lake was netted out and the fishing quality suffered severly, I'd like to hear that things have gotten back on track so we can resume our yearly trip.

fishkilla
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Been going for years. Just went in early June. Simple... large spoons. Biggest Len Thompson in Red and White, Black and White, 5 of Diamonds Black and Yellow, and my girlfriend out fished me on ONE lure both days. She caught 40, I caught 30 go figure... She used that large hammered Green Tree Frog pattern Len Thompson, they loved it. Caught huge Walleye and Jack on that lure. I used the various Len Thompsons, large Williams Wabbler Silver and Copper, Walleye and Pike both loved. Troll right of the lodge up to the Grist boat launch and back in S pattern trolls. Troll around Back side of Banana island. Find where the sand meets deeper water in Eagle Bay and troll that depth back and forth. Haven't been in July, they may be deeper but the whole lake is pretty shallow so you'll find them.

ps- The only lake I have ever fished where you use the same rod, same strong line and a good leader for both pike and walleye. Walleye are beasts there.
Good luck!

Rockymtnx
07-08-2011, 01:36 AM
#4 Len Thompsons in the following colors....
This pic was taken on the deck at Winefred Lake Lodge last summer.
Have fun!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n41/rockymtnx/Fishing/P8010219-800.jpg