PDA

View Full Version : Cold lake- walleye

walleye man
07-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Hoping to go up to cold lake this summer, just wondering if anybodies been up there for the walleye, and if they are biting.

Geezle
07-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Going up there in just over a week, and I'm curious about the walleye there as well :)

walleyeca
07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
One year I was there fishing and I Saw and witnessed our great walleye legend BOB IZUMI struggling to catch walleye for 2 consecutive days! Until he finally figured it out with a bit of help from myself and a buddy that have been on that Jumbo walleye program for years now! It is a very precise method to catch these stizozedium Vitrium! but it can be done but has to be shown and not read how to!!! I love the fact that I can go out there and catch consecutive 6-9lb eyes with the occasional 10-12lb So my hint to you is learn your graph and get some down riggers because you will not believe where they are sitting!!!! Am I right WALLEYECRANKER??? LOL(the other half of the 50 plus hour walleye study!)

The Hero
07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
One year I was there fishing and I Saw and witnessed our great walleye legend BOB IZUMI struggling to catch walleye for 2 consecutive days! Until he finally figured it out with a bit of help from myself and a buddy that have been on that Jumbo walleye program for years now! It is a very precise method to catch these stizozedium Vitrium! but it can be done but has to be shown and not read how to!!! I love the fact that I can go out there and catch consecutive 6-9lb eyes with the occasional 10-12lb So my hint to you is learn your graph and get some down riggers because you will not believe where they are sitting!!!! Am I right WALLEYECRANKER??? LOL(the other half of the 50 plus hour walleye study!)

HAHA wow im guessing this didnt help answer any questions you had hey Walleye Man...

I wish we could all be as good as you bud... teach the great Bob Izumi how to catch walleye...

Hero

Dust1n
07-08-2011, 10:55 AM

haha i wish i was half the fisherman you are :)
but where are they sitting?
edit: sorry the picture mabe awnsered my question thanks

rammer
07-08-2011, 10:56 AM

haha gotta love the guys that spend their days patting themselves on the back

Dust1n
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
if you are catching walleye in 225FOW how do you realse them?sorry cant realy picture lakers in that deep either as the baitfish dont even go close to there

Stewie
07-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Fisherman of the Year. Thought Bob was going to take it for sure but after finding out the you had to show him how to fish. That changes everything

Well done

mikeo2
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
if you are catching walleye in 225FOW how do you realse them?sorry cant realy picture lakers in that deep either as the baitfish dont even go close to there

He didnt say the walleye were down 225 feet, for some reason people just refuse to believe that walleye out here will suspend in the water column, Ive used downriggers in our lake at home for walleye, you wouldnt believe the looks I got, but I was the only one consistently catching walleye, haha.

Lefty-Canuck
07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
He didnt say the walleye were down 225 feet, for some reason people just refuse to believe that walleye out here will suspend in the water column, Ive used downriggers in our lake at home for walleye, you wouldnt believe the looks I got, but I was the only one consistently catching walleye, haha.

X2

He never said he was bouncing off bottom....what do you need a depth finder for if you are just going to fish off bottom anywyas? Just open the bail and wait till it stops....reel in a bit and fish...if you want to fish off of bottom...:)

LC

Dust1n
07-08-2011, 11:50 AM

he didnt say that but have a look at the picture.nvm

Hunter Trav
07-08-2011, 12:06 PM
he didnt say that but have a look at the picture.nvm

Yes the pic shows him sitting over 225 FOW, so? Who's to say those wallys aren't sitting at 40 FOW?? I want a pic of the line counter on the reel...

highwood
07-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Anyone ever seen the Seinfeld episode about excessive exclamation points?......sorry, no hijack intended

NSRfishing
07-08-2011, 03:09 PM
i thought he have to poke the air bladder anything deeper than 25 of water or good chance fish will die thought i read this somewhere could be wrong

walleyeca
07-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I was merely trying to open up some insight as to where the walleyes could have been found! I Actually did give Bob Izumi some tips on how to catch the walleyes that day! My fishing partner will testify to that! But why is that evrytime I try and help guys out on here, up pops these jealous no minds??? just because Im not Tom Cruise who got inverted with a russian MIG fighter plane and flipped him the bird! Doesnt mean I dont like to study my walleye fishing so I can go out and catch little darts and damaged and starved fish that our goverment slowly produces in all my old trophy lakes!! Im sorry im good at walleye fishing, Im also sorry that your so good at bashing others! Why not take that energy and go and do some actual fishing? Im just sayin

walleyeca
07-08-2011, 06:11 PM
HAHA wow im guessing this didnt help answer any questions you had hey Walleye Man...

I wish we could all be as good as you bud... teach the great Bob Izumi how to catch walleye...

Hero

I have actually met Bob a couple of times and hes a great guy with an awesome personality this leads me to think hes a normal fisherman just goin out and doin his thing! He just happens to have a tv show!

NSRfishing
07-08-2011, 06:15 PM
nice walleye caught one about that size in the nsr Wednesday night with a one inch piece of worm last cast of day last piece of worm. How much do you think that walleye weighs?

walleyeca
07-08-2011, 06:43 PM
nice walleye caught one about that size in the nsr Wednesday night with a one inch piece of worm last cast of day last piece of worm. How much do you think that walleye weighs?

If i remember correctly she was 29 inches and weighed 9.4lbs

NSRfishing
07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
If i remember correctly she was 29 inches and weighed 9.4lbs

ok thanks my walleye wasnt that big 6 or 7 pound

Dust1n
07-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I was merely trying to open up some insight as to where the walleyes could have been found! I Actually did give Bob Izumi some tips on how to catch the walleyes that day! My fishing partner will testify to that! But why is that evrytime I try and help guys out on here, up pops these jealous no minds??? just because Im not Tom Cruise who got inverted with a russian MIG fighter plane and flipped him the bird! Doesnt mean I dont like to study my walleye fishing so I can go out and catch little darts and damaged and starved fish that our goverment slowly produces in all my old trophy lakes!! Im sorry im good at walleye fishing, Im also sorry that your so good at bashing others! Why not take that energy and go and do some actual fishing? Im just sayin

there was no sarcasm for my post...:snapoutofit:
but that would be great in your portfoleo about how you taught bob izumi haha.
and if you can catch that big of walleye anytime that takes skills man.
good job :)

pickrel pat
07-08-2011, 09:41 PM
big deep water = large suspended walleye. small shallow water = bottom and suspended walleye.

walleye man
07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys for all the great discussion, but im still curious if the walleye are still biting, and if the three keep limit is a little bit generous.

justinO
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I hope its not generous lol Would love to see a slot limit on all fish in that lake.

And From what I understand catching deep walley if you release them fast allowing them to get back down to the right depth asap they are fine. They also make a releasing tool with a weight to get them back down fast. The Problem comes from being brought up to fast and then staying in a live well or held to long at the surface. This is my understanding anyways.

CNR
07-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Whats the deepest depth you have caught suspended walleye? And is there any tricks in deciphering between suspended lakers and eyes?

The Spank
08-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Ok I am going to resurrect this old thread as it answered a question I posed in another thread about if walleye are found suspended in Cold Lake given its size, depth and type of feed base that large walleye like to forage on. Let's get this ball rolling. Would really be interested in finding out if some of the techniques and baits we used on the Great Lakes and larger inland lakes like Nip****ing would work on Cold Lake. Techniques such as pulling crawler harnesses behind dipsy's or night fishing in fall trolling big deep diving crankbaits?

Walleye101
08-05-2017, 02:52 PM
I catch them in the transition zones from rocks to sand, cabbage weeds to sand, and above the thermoclines in the summer. You'll need a good sonar though. They are very difficult to locate but when you find them call the wife and tell her to heat up the deep fryer:)

The Spank
08-05-2017, 02:57 PM
I catch them in the transition zones from rocks to sand, cabbage weeds to sand, and above the thermoclines in the summer. You'll need a good sonar though. They are very difficult to locate but when you find them call the wife and tell her to heat up the deep fryer:)

Sounds good!! I know from past experience suspended walleye will be above the thermocline. Below it is trout preferred temperature! I am planning on changing my fishfinder to a Humminbird Helix 7 finder/chartplotter as it has the capability to talk to my minn-kota ipilot.

super mario
08-05-2017, 06:01 PM

x2

The Spank
08-05-2017, 06:14 PM
x2

nice walleye!!

T-Bone
08-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Fish them in the Great lakes..

3blade
08-05-2017, 10:30 PM
I wouldnt eat those though. Just like the big pike that are suspended, those walleye are chasing whitefish/tulibee and will be soft, oily and fishy tasting. Ate a 7 lb walleye once, never again. Approx 4 lbs is the biggest id keep. Bigger are fun to catch but go straight back.

TylerThomson
08-05-2017, 10:34 PM
I wouldnt eat those though. Just like the big pike that are suspended, those walleye are chasing whitefish/tulibee and will be soft, oily and fishy tasting. Ate a 7 lb walleye once, never again. Approx 4 lbs is the biggest id keep. Bigger are fun to catch but go straight back.

I just ate an 8.5 lb walleye out of cold lake and it was delicious. Just as good as a 3 lb.

3blade
08-05-2017, 10:42 PM
I just ate an 8.5 lb walleye out of cold lake and it was delicious. Just as good as a 3 lb.

Was it a big water suspended fish or a near-shore bottom hugging fish? If it was eating a varied diet of perch, bugs, minnows and leaches, it may be good. But the one I caught while jigging for lakers was as bad as week-old cat food.

But then, I suppose it depends on ones tastes. Some people think tuna tastes good. Congrats on the catch and glad you enjoyed it.

TylerThomson
08-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Near shore when I caught it. But I doubt it lives its entire life there. I'd imagine its diet is as varied as any other fish in the lake. Walleye will move from shallow flats to suspended water and even up into the river. Who knows though but I love the fish out of that lake because of how cold the water is year round.

Also how can you not like tuna? Tuna sashimi or however you spell it is frigging delicious. Same with fresh bbq seared. If all you've ever ate of that fish came out of a can than you're missing out.

Also if you ever catch a fish and its soft when you fillet it put it in the fridge over night in a bowl of water and a pinch of salt and it will firm right up. Great for frying.

58thecat
08-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys for all the great discussion, but im still curious if the walleye are still biting, and if the three keep limit is a little bit generous.

They are biting, suspended as indicated, believe the fish liar on the boat, get down to where they are or the fish are...might be eyes there...tight lines.

Walleyemagnet
08-06-2017, 11:06 AM
haha gotta love the guys that spend their days patting themselves on the back

No need to bash Trevor, you guys. This guy knows how to fish; it's his job actually. The guy has been a tournament walleye fisherman for many many years, won angler of the year two years in a row, also the only guy to win first place at Pinehurst twice. I have fished a few tournaments with this guy; even won Pinehurst with him back in '15. This guy has a passion for fishing unlike anyone I've ever known. Believe me, you go fishing with this guy for even one day and you'll be a better fisherman! He told me the story about Bob Izumi and he's not patting himself on the back. Bob was there to film a show on the elusive Cold Lake walleyes and he was having a hard time locating them. Trevor just showed him where to catch them.

Mackinaw
08-06-2017, 11:07 PM
No need to bash Trevor, you guys. This guy knows how to fish; it's his job actually. The guy has been a tournament walleye fisherman for many many years, won angler of the year two years in a row, also the only guy to win first place at Pinehurst twice. I have fished a few tournaments with this guy; even won Pinehurst with him back in '15. This guy has a passion for fishing unlike anyone I've ever known. Believe me, you go fishing with this guy for even one day and you'll be a better fisherman! He told me the story about Bob Izumi and he's not patting himself on the back. Bob was there to film a show on the elusive Cold Lake walleyes and he was having a hard time locating them. Trevor just showed him where to catch them.

you do realize that statment was from 2011:scared0018:

mack

The Spank
08-07-2017, 08:33 AM
you do realize that statment was from 2011:scared0018:

mack

As I posted earlier this is a very old thread I revived hoping to get some discussion going on targeting suspended walleye in Cold Lake. Hopefully the members posting will be more into the technical end of the thread than calling out other members?

Mackinaw
08-07-2017, 11:26 PM
As I posted earlier this is a very old thread I revived hoping to get some discussion going on targeting suspended walleye in Cold Lake. Hopefully the members posting will be more into the technical end of the thread than calling out other members?

what and miss out on all the camaraderie...:)

mack

EZM
08-08-2017, 12:53 PM
I'd prefer the average Joe to keep on keepin' on with targeting his walleye on Cold lake like he would any other prairie lake. I mean you will catch walleye .... right?

I like the 3 walleye limit for those guys who work hard, put their time in, figure out how to catch them out in the open water and tune it in so they can enjoy a limit of nice big fat walleyes.

We should delete this thread ..... lol