PDA

View Full Version : Merc 9.8HP water circulation?

CeeZee
07-07-2011, 10:08 PM
So I just got this unit as is, has not ran in many years, stored outside but under a cover. Got the fuel mixed up as everyone suggested and she was runnin on the fifth pull!!!
But after finding that it runs, I stuck it in a tub of water and it won't circulated water, so would it be the water pump? or is there some other trouble shooting i can do?
So i guess its no tryin it out this weekend..............:angry3:

nicemustang
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Ya the impeller probably bad in the pump. If it runs that easily probably pretty strong. But water pumps (specifically the impellers) usally need to be replaced every 3-4 years as they dry out and crack up and go. Do it right away so you don't wreck the housing and need the whole thing. Impeller is super cheap from any merc dealer and not too hard to replace.

By the way....don't ever start it or run it out of water again. Probably a good reason why your pump isn't circulating in the first place LOL!

CeeZee
07-07-2011, 10:22 PM
so i thought the water pump on those 9.8's dont circulate unless it is in gear? but no worries i got a spare impellor with the boat. so on those ones, the pump is on the lower leg right? (sorry if its a stupid question)

Kokanee9
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
After running for as little as 30-45 seconds without being submerged in water, could be enough to wreck the impellor. All the impellor is, is a wheel with rubber paddles that spin around. They make a tight contact inside the metal housing that holds it. With no water the rubber wears out right away by rubbing against the metal.

Whenever the motor is running, it will produce heat, and therefor needs cooling, neutral, forward or reverse.

Yes it is located in the lower leg. You should be able to google a diagram for your motor.

CeeZee
07-07-2011, 10:57 PM
okay............ guilty as charged. lol
thanks for the tips tho guys.

pikergolf
07-08-2011, 12:03 AM
My motor quit pumping once, when I started it nothing? Worked last week, what the hay. Turns out a little spider crawled into the out flow hose and wrapped up some bug in there. Cleaned it out and good to go.

CeeZee
07-08-2011, 07:12 AM
yeah it funny no ones has mention that yet. But that was the first thing i checked, can blow through it like no tomorrow, so hopefully i dont rip it apart for no reason.

iliketrout
07-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Whatever you do, don't shift gears when the lower leg is off. Made that mistake once and it was a pain to get it aligned and back on.

RapStaff
07-08-2011, 08:31 PM
I just replaced the impelled on a 9.8 Merc and a 4.5 Merc.
I can tell you, anything you need to know.
PM me if you need any help.

billie
07-08-2011, 08:49 PM
FYI, Merc's are poor pumpers. DO NOT use ears on the smaller ones. Bucket or barrel only and you must be deep enough, at least the upper cav plate.

My brand new 4 stroke was a surprise but the local mechanic explained it. He also recommended against using MERC's special ears.:sHa_sarcasticlol: at $40 a set.

I think your impeller is shot anyway and replacing it is a good call.

CeeZee
07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
so i changed it, and man i never gifure it would be a 30 min job!!! 4 nuts and she is all done, also i am think the old one is had it, just the little ring left in it lol.
hopefully if it isnt stormin too much or anything, we may take it out for the first time!!!
thanks again fellow outdoorsman, I always appreciated the help I get on here!!!

Big Red 250
07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
It's a good idea to stick it in a barrel of water to make sure it's pumping water instead of taking it all the way to the lake, then finding out somethings wrong. At least you'll know for sure. It's a crappy day out anyways, may as well stay home and drink beer.lol.

RapStaff
07-09-2011, 10:07 PM
When I pulled mine apart there was only one fin ripped off, but it was enough to stop the water flow at low idle and cause the motor to overheat.