PDA

View Full Version : Post your favourite story about kids fishing

dwo
07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Everyone must have a few favourite stories about kids and fishing. post your favourite story here. I will start with mine.

Our family moved to the interior of BC in ’96 with three young boys (aged 5, 8 and 11). One of our favourite family activities was fishing (yes, I am fortunate to have a wife who enjoys fishing). We did not have a fishing boat at the time so we went to lakes where we could rent a boat. One of our earliest trips was to Mile High Resort on Face Lake (between Kamloops and Logan Lake). This is a great lake for kids as there are generally lots of small trout eager to take a fly. We all loaded into a 14’ fishing boat and set up each of the boys with a spinning rod to troll flies. Not long after we set out our youngest son got a bite. To my surprise he had let out at least 150’ of line. We could see a little 4-5” trout splashing around on the surface a long way behind the boat. Our son was very excited. Right away I knew he would want to keep the fish so as he was reeling it in, I started talking about throwing it back. He was agreeable at first, but, once I had the fish in hand he changed his mind and wanted to keep it. I explained that if we threw it back, it would grow and be much bigger next year and he could catch it again. He agreed, on one condition, he wanted to be the one to throw it back. I didn’t have a problem with that so I had him wet his hand and then handed him the fish. Without hesitation, he took the fish and immediately wound up like Nolan Ryan (who threw 100 mph fastballs for many years), and threw the fish as far as he possibly could. My wife and I looked at each other and both had to hide our faces as we were laughing so hard we could have fallen out of the boat. Our son was very pleased with himself so I waited until the next fish was caught to explain how to release a fish. We no longer ‘throw ‘em back’ but we do practice ‘catch and release’

ptemomo
07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Long weekend we went fishing to Slave Lake. Walleye was biting like crazy and it was great. My 10 year old got quite exited and managed to throw is rod in the water while casting. He got pretty upset but luckily i had my spare one in the boat so he could keep going. After a couple hours we decide to leave. As i was pulling the anchor i see his fishing line stuck to it. So we each grab a side and start pulling it in. After a while i can see the rod starting to come out of the water. I thought we were quite lucky. But imagine my surprise when my son starts yelling he had a fish on his side. I didnt believe him at first.... But there it was, a 54 cm Walleye! I dont know how long he was hooked on it for, but we was still in good shape.

I wouldn't had believe it if i hadn't see it for myself!

tacklerunner
07-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Two years ago on a super hot, 36 degree summer day on flat glass water my nephew got his first fish. Was really too hot to fish but we got out to the middle of the lake in about 1000' of water, yes one thousand, and threw out a couple lines and started trolling. B's dad set up his little 4 foot blue kid's rod with a plastic reel, tied on the most beat up, rusty hooked lure we had and would let all the line out behind the boat and let B reel it in.

Rod:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_1014.jpg

Lure:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/IMG_1015.jpg

Well after about the third time, B started having trouble reeling in and wouldn't you know it there was a rainbow jumping 100 feet back of the boat on his line. After that, the process repeated itself and he kept getting fish. We couldn't get a sniff on our other lines. After a few fish the reel had succumbed to its demise and now the rod, reel and Kamlooper spoon hang on the wall of fame.

This is B at 3 years old with his first fish... almost a 2 pound rainbow trout.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/july09011.jpg

outdoors forever
07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Great story, tacklerunner!

Just a funny my 7 year old said on our first outing in the boat this summer for walleye. After casting and reeling for quite a while, Emily said her arms were tired, and maybe she might just try "jiggling" for walleye!

Jiggling - lol! Me and the wife had a good laugh! :)

DEF
07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
A few years back two families were at Kananaskis Mozart on the mountain. There were four kids under the age of 12 having a picnic along side a pond near the village. Small brook trout were rising and got us thinking. A plan was put into action. They didnt have any gear so started scavenging the area. Soon they had found monofilament, a hook and one of the last grasshoppers of the season. They stretched line across the pond with the grasshopper dangling above the water. Soon an opportunist little brookie ate the hopper and the rest is history. The kids were pretty proud of themselves.

Daceminnow
07-08-2011, 09:03 PM
there's been many, many good days on the water with kids. whether it's one of my own, nieces, nephews, or family friends. don't matter. there's nothing better than introducing kids to this great pastime. one of the most recent that comes to mind is the nice brown JR caught this spring on his birthday. it was his first fish out of the bow, and it was a dandy. fishing and kids makes for some good growing up. period.

Dace

Junior's Brown.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_1666.jpg

badger
07-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Was shore fishing with a buddy at Lake Bonavista in the ‘80’s. The lake was just stocked with decent size trout and the fish were taking marshmallows or cheese. A father with 3 year old son and 4 year old daughter were next to us and he had to leave to take the son to the bathroom a short ways away. The little girl caught a fish while he was gone, a nice trout at about 16”. She didn’t know how to reel it in so she backed up until the fish was beached, so I unhooked the fish, bonked it and put onto their empty stringer. Rebaited the rod and cast it out for her to hold onto again. The father comes back and the daughter is very excited, tells him she got a big one. He doesn’t believe it so she holds up the stringer and says “See!” By this time the father is really confused, starts looking around. My buddy and I kept quiet, and then the little girl tells him that someone helped her and he is quite amused, although he may have missed his daughter’s first fish.

Lefty-Canuck
07-08-2011, 11:05 PM
One of my buddies growing up got his fist fishing rod, tackle box and his Dad went out and bought a tonne of spoons for him. From what I understand the spoons were all decent makes and not "El Cheapo". So young Joey decides in order to catch a fish he needs to use the flashy colors.....so he decides to attach ALL of his spoons together .....he sets up for the cast and before his Dad can stop him casts the whole lot into the lake as they snap his line from weighing too much.....proably the fastest money his old man ever lost....

LC

Flyfisher87
07-09-2011, 07:49 AM
there's been many, many good days on the water with kids. whether it's one of my own, nieces, nephews, or family friends. don't matter. there's nothing better than introducing kids to this great pastime. one of the most recent that comes to mind is the nice brown JR caught this spring on his birthday. it was his first fish out of the bow, and it was a dandy. fishing and kids makes for some good growing up. period.

Dace

Junior's Brown.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/daceminnow/IMG_1666.jpg

I agree Dace. Although my wife and I don't have kids of our own, I am chomping at the bit to get the go ahead from my sister to take my 4yr old nephew and 3yr old niece fishing. I remember the thrill of my first fish and I want to see the looks on their faces when they do the same.

528guy
07-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Last year on the Bow where Fish Creek enters it my 6 year old, using a cheapo Batman rod and a little rubber fish (not a gulp or other scented, don`t worry) throws his first cast about 12 feet up and 3 feet out into the little pool at his feet, starts to reel it in and says `dad i got one.` So I says no, it`s just a snag on the bottom, and then this 19 inch bow comes leaping out of the water, holy crap! My son tries to give me the rod but I tell him it is his fight, keep the tip up and bring that bad boy in. He lands it, I pick it up and measure it, he looks at it for a few seconds and says `dad we should put it back now.` I still get the tingly proud feeling when I think about that day and just yesterday he reminded me that his fish was 19 inches and the one I caught last Sunday was only 17 inches. Wouldn`t trade that experience for anything.

FishingMOM
07-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Last year on the Bow where Fish Creek enters it my 6 year old, using a cheapo Batman rod and a little rubber fish (not a gulp or other scented, don`t worry) throws his first cast about 12 feet up and 3 feet out into the little pool at his feet, starts to reel it in and says `dad i got one.`
That is too cute.
The little fish is a casting practice weight for kids.
many times when kids are learning they will try it out in their yards first. It is supposed to help and excite them when they reel in that thing.

Willowtrail
07-09-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't have kids of my own but took 2 of my neices out this year. They are 7 and 5. It was their 2nd time out but first time catching fish. I let them get the camera and do a little videoing.

Here's a link to a funny few minutes, Enjoy.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/videos/channels/members/my-nieces-first-fish-ever-landed-107151.aspx

HunterDave
07-09-2011, 03:14 PM
In Ontario, on my way to/from work I used to drive past a creek coming out of Corry Lake that I put my minnow trap into to catch my bait for the evening pickerel fishing (or were they walleye?). After supper one night my 4 year old daughter asked me to take her fishing while I emptied the trap. She had plenty of action but she was having a hard time hooking a little rock bass that was stealing her bait so I hooked the fish for her and then handed her the rod. As I handed her the rod, a big ol' muskie came out of nowhere and grabbed onto the rock bass. :confused0068: It all happened in a split second and I had to grab the back of her shirt or she was going for a swim. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I don't know if it was fear or the fisher in her but she didn't let go of that kid's rod. With the muskie barrel rolling about 4 feet in front of her I didn't think that it would last very long but I'll bet that it was a good 10 seconds until the line finally let go. I could have waded into the creek and grabbed the muskie but I was having too much fun watching her battle the fish. :lol: It was +20 lbs and probably as long as my daughter was tall.

What a great fish story for us to tell Mom when we got home! :)

Paule
07-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Just last weekend we were in Lake of the Woods. Had my daughter(8) and son(5), along with my wife and mother. Kids were catching plenty of walleye, sauger and perch. Boredom and heat set in so a little swim was in order. Off we went, little guy didnt last long, so back to the boat he went. After about 5 mintutes i was tuckered and swam back to the boat. Being a little bit of a prankster, swam under water for about 20 metres and when I popped up to scare my little guy. We'll lets just say he knows how to balance himself on the back of the boat when he needs to relieve himself.
Square in the forehead, his stream hit. Much to my, mothers, wifes and sons pleasure. Totally accidental yet seemed totally planned. Funny nonetheless!

FishingMOM
07-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Just completed an evening of introducing 5 kids and 2 adults to fishing.

We hit chestermere as it is nice and close.
No fish caught, but we did get to learn about smelts and worms and hooks and bobbers and casting.
Chased away some seagulls.

My favourite part was a little boy who wandered over and joined our group and he tried to walk off my expensive rod and reel.
We compromised and instead he got a scooby doo rod and reel.
His father was so funny, he was sure his little one (3ish) was telling stories about the lady giving him the stuff.
I also gave my niece her own little box and rod, since her brother already had his own rod and reel.

Nothing like watching them all learning to cast and touch bait, and put on bait.

:sHa_shakeshout:

(if I find rods and reels cheap at yardsales I grab them for days like today)

chubbdarter
07-09-2011, 11:30 PM
Just completed an evening of introducing 5 kids and 2 adults to fishing.

We hit chestermere as it is nice and close.
No fish caught, but we did get to learn about smelts and worms and hooks and bobbers and casting.
Chased away some seagulls.

My favourite part was a little boy who wandered over and joined our group and he tried to walk off my expensive rod and reel.
We compromised and instead he got a scooby doo rod and reel.
His father was so funny, he was sure his little one (3ish) was telling stories about the lady giving him the stuff.
I also gave my niece her own little box and rod, since her brother already had his own rod and reel.

Nothing like watching them all learning to cast and touch bait, and put on bait.

:sHa_shakeshout:

(if I find rods and reels cheap at yardsales I grab them for days like today)

I always miss out. Where you fishing next?

good work fishmom, does wonders to promote the sport

FishingMOM
07-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I always miss out. Where you fishing next?

good work fishmom, does wonders to promote the sport

Might go out somewhere tomorrow
Love promoting the sport.
Before the dad left with his son I reminded him he needs to get a WIN card and his license. He said he gave up fishing years ago, but given his sons excitement tonight he guessed he might have to get back at it.

So Matt where ever you are in south calgary...... I say welcome back!

duffy4
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/Picture001.jpg

Now when we go out he likes to borrow my "fenwick" and teach me how to take trout on a fly.

dwo
07-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Terrific reading!

Rumtan
07-11-2011, 10:43 AM
As some of you may know, every year we take the kids of the Make-A-Wish fishing for the day, last year a really nice kid finally caught his first fish after 4 years of trying. He has downsyndrome and was over the moon with his catch. I told him "Today you are a fisherman" and he ran and told everyone out there that "Today I am a fisherman". So many great kids catch thier first fish there, last year the 3 biggest fish were caught with skoobie doo rods and dora the expolorer kids rod. The kids day is this coming Saturday so I am hoping for many more stories to come.

Guitarplayingfish
07-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Everyone must have a few favourite stories about kids and fishing. post your favourite story here. I will start with mine.

Our family moved to the interior of BC in ’96 with three young boys (aged 5, 8 and 11). One of our favourite family activities was fishing (yes, I am fortunate to have a wife who enjoys fishing). We did not have a fishing boat at the time so we went to lakes where we could rent a boat. One of our earliest trips was to Mile High Resort on Face Lake (between Kamloops and Logan Lake). This is a great lake for kids as there are generally lots of small trout eager to take a fly. We all loaded into a 14’ fishing boat and set up each of the boys with a spinning rod to troll flies. Not long after we set out our youngest son got a bite. To my surprise he had let out at least 150’ of line. We could see a little 4-5” trout splashing around on the surface a long way behind the boat. Our son was very excited. Right away I knew he would want to keep the fish so as he was reeling it in, I started talking about throwing it back. He was agreeable at first, but, once I had the fish in hand he changed his mind and wanted to keep it. I explained that if we threw it back, it would grow and be much bigger next year and he could catch it again. He agreed, on one condition, he wanted to be the one to throw it back. I didn’t have a problem with that so I had him wet his hand and then handed him the fish. Without hesitation, he took the fish and immediately wound up like Nolan Ryan (who threw 100 mph fastballs for many years), and threw the fish as far as he possibly could. My wife and I looked at each other and both had to hide our faces as we were laughing so hard we could have fallen out of the boat. Our son was very pleased with himself so I waited until the next fish was caught to explain how to release a fish. We no longer ‘throw ‘em back’ but we do practice ‘catch and release’

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

krachynski
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I got a chance to introduce one of my nieces (12) to fishing at Park Lake. We managed to only catch one little pike the entire weekend, but that catch was eye opening to see reactions. Niece and my son (10) we're just heading back to the beach to play when I reeled the pike in. As soon as they saw it on my hook, they grabbed for their rods and tried a bit more. My niece is going to be going out a lot with me this summer; after an empty weekend at the lake, she begged me to take her to Kinsmen Lake in Strathmore as soon as we got home and was determined to fish "until [she] catches a fish or it gets dark."

Going to look for a few good spots reasonably close to Strathmore during the week and plan to take her down to PCR on the weekend. She's already trying to figure out how much gear is going to cost her.

FishingMOM
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
as I posted on promoting the sports we love.

anna and bobcha
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd373/jennifer_marie7/Summer%202011/2289.jpg

Stinky with his trout. He is going to bbq it tonight.
Little guy swallowed the hook.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd373/jennifer_marie7/Summer%202011/2325.jpg

Jake and his first fish ever.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd373/jennifer_marie7/Summer%202011/2347.jpg

Jake kissing his fish
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd373/jennifer_marie7/Summer%202011/2352.jpg

Anton Chigurh
07-11-2011, 02:09 PM
As a child, the few times we made it out fishing, we never caught a thing.

Incredible memories to me...to have come out of it with no measurable success whatsoever, but to have had the time of my life.

To me (and I suspect a few of you too) there are few other "goal oriented" activities that can compare with regards to this.

Later on in life, we went fishing (me and my Dad) for the first time in probably 20 years. And for the first time, while together, we hooked a couple pike and let my 18 year old younger brother reel them both in (his first fish). Life sure is funny sometimes.

dwo
07-16-2011, 03:20 PM
there's got to be more stories out there. Let's keep it going!

slough shark
07-16-2011, 06:34 PM
I am a leader of a youth group at church and I bring a number of boys out for an ice fishing trip every year. A few years ago I was out there and had 4 or 5 boys with me and we were out fishing for pike. It got a little cool and a few of the boys decided to go into 1 of the portable shacks that I had out there and jig a little for pike. The shack that they went in was a little older and smaller 4x5 feet floor and 4 feet high and the door was a little loose so they tied it shut. Well they were jigging away and I started bbq'ing up some lunch when all of a sudden I heard some yelling in the shack "pull it up, pull it up" followed shortly by a bunch of flapping and then some more yelling "open the door, Quick!) I just fell over laughing as the two lads in the shack were hurriedly trying to open the door as they had caught a 12 pound pike (it was their first fish) They eventually got the door open and both boys and the pike came flying out of the shack. It was one of the funnier things I have seen out ice fishing and at the end of the day the 2 boys were proud as punch with that pike.

lineman4 life
07-16-2011, 07:23 PM
My son is ecstatic every time he reels in his hook. "Look Daddy, I caught my worm!"