PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the wind?

coearle
07-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Curious to see peoples thoughts about fishing in the wind, both boat and shore.

Loki610
07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
shore fish from upwind where possible but if its too bad I find something to do other than fishing!

Stewie
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Cant stand fishing in the wind in a boat... more fun drinking beer in the cabin

lone wolf
07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Depends on wind strength - if you are talking about today in the Hat fishing would be a pain LOL. A gentle to moderate breeze puts a ripple/light chop on the water which improves fishing as fish tend to be less skittish IMHO. Wave action also makes bobber fishing very effective as it adds movement to the bait. Stronger wind makes casting (especially with a fly rod) and bit detection more challenging, and also makes boat control more difficult. Extreme wind will make large water bodies unfishable/dangerous due to wave conditions.

Given my druthers I like a ripple/light chop on the water :sHa_shakeshout:

Braun
07-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Depends on wind strength - if you are talking about today in the Hat fishing would be a pain LOL. A gentle to moderate breeze puts a ripple/light chop on the water which improves fishing as fish tend to be less skittish IMHO. Wave action also makes bobber fishing very effective as it adds movement to the bait. Stronger wind makes casting (especially with a fly rod) and bit detection more challenging, and also makes boat control more difficult. Extreme wind will make large water bodies unfishable/dangerous due to wave conditions.

x2 good post.

Personally the wind ticks me off. If I am shore fishing a river I prefer to have a light breeze over no wind.

shore fishing a lake. well it depends on the lake and how strong of wind. If i am limited access to spots along the shore. i would rather there be no wind because no matter what. the if there is wind and there are only certain access spots to fish, the wind will not be in your favor directional wise. as lone wolf said regarding bobers. the wave3s help with action. so if you can chose the spot along the shore, you can pick the place you fish so the wind actually helps you.

in a boat. in moderation. jigging, a light wind with a light chop or ripple is perfect. If I am trolling harnesses or cranks. I would prefer water like glass. best boat control. and also less chance I will spill my beer when that big bite comes and im fumbling with the boat motor, rod, and beer.

Dust1n
07-08-2011, 02:06 PM

a agree x2.

chubbdarter
07-08-2011, 02:26 PM
1.5 to 2 foot chop is my favorite for trolling cranks for walleye and hair on the Koot....its good fishing but my old body pays a huge price the next day.
The push and stall motion the waves give make lures work much better

Mr.goldeye
07-08-2011, 02:27 PM
light breeze is ok but when the wind gets to bad its hard to fish anything but nymphs , really gets tough to cast floating line

kinwahkly
07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Wind? Its never windy in Alberta!!!!!

Overdrawn
07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't mind the fishing in the wind I can always find a bay to hide in or behind a point. It just the ****'n in it I don't like.

coearle
07-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking about heading out towards Grassy - anybody no how the wind is out that way? Looking at being out for the weekend.

timsesink
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Windy as a wind tunnel down here in Coleman right now!

TyreeUM
07-08-2011, 04:01 PM
I love a summer breeze when fishing for brookies in lakes. They seem to suspend around the thermocline quite a bit so I find the depth the fish are holding and just let the wind push me across to the other side of the lake, then I motor back. If i catch fish on a drift I will keep drifting the same location, if not I move until I find some.

Kokanee9
07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
x2 good post.

If I am trolling harnesses or cranks. I would prefer water like glass. best boat control. and also less chance I will spill my beer when that big bite comes and im fumbling with the boat motor, rod, and beer.

Sorry, You dont need waves to spill your beer, I've seen you do it on shore!

Kokanee9
07-08-2011, 04:13 PM
1.5 to 2 foot chop is my favorite for trolling cranks for walleye and hair on the Koot....its good fishing but my old body pays a huge price the next day.
The push and stall motion the waves give make lures work much better

When your trolling in chop, do you have the rods fixed in holders or in your hand? I can see the holders actually helping what you are talking about in regards to lure action.

blackonblackfx4
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Best Walleye Fishing there is. Use deep divers or bottom bounce nose into the wind always.

chubbdarter
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
When your trolling in chop, do you have the rods fixed in holders or in your hand? I can see the holders actually helping what you are talking about in regards to lure action.

in holders with boards

WayneChristie
07-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Windy as a wind tunnel down here in Coleman right now!

winds strong enough here right now to probably keep your lure a foot above the water!

stvnda
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Interesting points on how wind increases the bait presentation, I see a light wind as being useful in keeping the mosquitos away.

Daceminnow
07-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Curious to see peoples thoughts about fishing in the wind, both boat and shore.

fishing in the wind is good. it may not be the easiest or most relaxing day on the water for the angler due to casting issues, boat control, anchoring ect. all that being said the fish for the most part will be on, and after all that's what we all hope for while we're out there.

Dace

chubbdarter
07-08-2011, 10:18 PM
glass like water is the worst......if boat handling is a issue in 2 footers.....your not set up or in the wrong rig

Gust
07-08-2011, 10:41 PM
I hate walleye fishing, it's an un-preferance but when I was younger we'd wait for those spring days where the waves would smash and disturb the rocky gravelly shorelines, one of my best pike days at Travers was with a head on smashy wave,, casting was a bit tough but it didn't matter, the fish are/were close.

Braun
07-08-2011, 11:05 PM
glass like water is the worst......if boat handling is a issue in 2 footers.....your not set up or in the wrong rig

I only meant in terms of when I am out there more to be out there than catch fish. when i bring the girlfriend it is supposed to be more of a relaxed lackadaisical thing. less about fishing. more about"spending time together" she says. she likes less chop. she lets me go fishing the rest of the year without fuss so when she comes she gets to do it her way. if shes happy, i get to fish more often. if shes not....... then i have other things to be doin around the house

BGSH
07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
hate fishing in the wind, you just cant enjoy it

Lefty-Canuck
07-08-2011, 11:14 PM
One time at Slave Lake there was a nasty wind roll in....we all got off the lake. I took a walk down to the boat launch and noticed a "mud-line" thats what we called it anyways....basically it was where the current from the waves had stirred up the bottom. So for fun I rigged up a lindy rig with a leech and tossed it from the boat launch area past the mudline and brought it in slow retrieve.....and BOOM walleye after walleye were caught right from shore....actually managed to get my legal limit and we had a great shore lunch that day without having to get the boat wet. Wind can be helpful at times....for fly fishing I find it always sucks...

LC

chubbdarter
07-08-2011, 11:17 PM
I only meant in terms of when I am out there more to be out there than catch fish. when i bring the girlfriend it is supposed to be more of a relaxed lackadaisical thing. less about fishing. more about"spending time together" she says. she likes less chop. she lets me go fishing the rest of the year without fuss so when she comes she gets to do it her way. if shes happy, i get to fish more often. if shes not....... then i have other things to be doin around the house

If I am trolling harnesses or cranks. I would prefer water like glass. best boat control.

gotcha....miss understood this statement ^^you posted....old age is a beotch

great white whaler
07-08-2011, 11:22 PM
when the wind is from the east the fishing is the lest,i proved it ,last to days no fish ,,,today wind from the south couldn't keep it out of there mouth.

Gust
07-08-2011, 11:28 PM
when the wind is from the east the fishing is the lest,i proved it ,last to days no fish ,,,today wind from the south couldn't keep it out of there mouth.

You are talking about fishing right?

great white whaler
07-08-2011, 11:31 PM
You are talking about fishing right?her name was mildred,,,the fishing was good to day.:)

Daceminnow
07-08-2011, 11:33 PM
One time at Slave Lake there was a nasty wind roll in....we all got off the lake. I took a walk down to the boat launch and noticed a "mud-line" thats what we called it anyways....basically it was where the current from the waves had stirred up the bottom. So for fun I rigged up a lindy rig with a leech and tossed it from the boat launch area past the mudline and brought it in slow retrieve.....and BOOM walleye after walleye were caught right from shore....actually managed to get my legal limit and we had a great shore lunch that day without having to get the boat wet. Wind can be helpful at times....for fly fishing I find it always sucks...

LC

to cast, for sure. just a little more work though. i've had the same experience you're describing above on a few different mountain lakes more than once this year already. all the fish hang right on that mud line feeding hard.

Dace

Braun
07-09-2011, 12:24 AM
If I am trolling harnesses or cranks. I would prefer water like glass. best boat control.

gotcha....miss understood this statement ^^you posted....old age is a beotch

old age preventing you from reading the rest of the post too??? because i said the boat control was to help me to not spill my beer........

I just like how you come up 7 hours later to make a comment. like you had already posted after me on this thread so clearly read my post before.

got nothing better to do on a friday night than stir up chit chubbs?? you sure seem to do alot of that. I know who you are and have talked to a few guys off the forum about you. your reputation as an amazing fishermen proceeds you. The people I have talked to can tell nothing but amazing things about your fishing knowledge, skill and ability. And I have a ton of respect for that. Trust me. I am sure you will die knowing things that I will never learn before I die. probably alot of things. Any chance I get, I take to absorb fishing knowledge from people like you. that is why this forum is so great.

but what I don't understand is why you play so many games. Is it that entertaining for you to get people going over minuscule chit and just pull people along just for your entertainment? I have witnessed and sadly, fallen for some of your tall claims. Not all are empty. you make sure you follow through in big ways and publicly to make sure you maintain the image of a saint. When really everything you do is calculated. your a chit disturber of the biggest variety. But always try to maintain a good public image.

like i said i respect you tremendously for your fishing knowledge skill and everything fishing related......but in terms of other things. i cant say that you carry that same respect from me.

sorry chubbs

chubbdarter
07-09-2011, 12:34 AM
old age preventing you from reading the rest of the post too??? because i said the boat control was to help me to not spill my beer........

im not interested in any post where drinking beer on a water craft is being posted..thanks..we have differing opinions.

I just merely gave a answer to the op's question....fishing and wind

now it has nothing to do with old age..carry on

Braun
07-09-2011, 12:37 AM
im not interested in any post where drinking beer on a water craft is being posted..thanks..we have differing opinions.

I just merely gave a answer to the op's question....fishing and wind

now it has nothing to do with old age..carry on

ha. this comming from ther person who maybe 10% of his posts are related to the OP comments. 10% is even being generous. common chubbs. you fool some but not me i dont need to go far to find a post miles out of line from you. yet drinking a beer while fishing. come on.

chubbdarter
07-09-2011, 01:00 AM

I just like how you come up 7 hours later to make a comment. like you had already posted after me on this thread so clearly read my post before.

got nothing better to do on a friday night than stir up chit chubbs?? you sure seem to do alot of that. I know who you are and have talked to a few guys off the forum about you. your reputation as an amazing fishermen proceeds you. The people I have talked to can tell nothing but amazing things about your fishing knowledge, skill and ability. And I have a ton of respect for that. Trust me. I am sure you will die knowing things that I will never learn before I die. probably alot of things. Any chance I get, I take to absorb fishing knowledge from people like you. that is why this forum is so great.

but what I don't understand is why you play so many games. Is it that entertaining for you to get people going over minuscule chit and just pull people along just for your entertainment? I have witnessed and sadly, fallen for some of your tall claims. Not all are empty. you make sure you follow through in big ways and publicly to make sure you maintain the image of a saint. When really everything you do is calculated. your a chit disturber of the biggest variety. But always try to maintain a good public image.

like i said i respect you tremendously for your fishing knowledge skill and everything fishing related......but in terms of other things. i cant say that you carry that same respect from me.

sorry chubbs

thank you, have a pleasant evening

ishootbambi
07-09-2011, 08:41 AM
few things in life pi$$ me off more than wind. itll actually put me in a foul mood. i cant count how many times ive had plans ruined due to wind. so many fishing trips cancelled.....

this is what it looks like right now. waiting at a well for things to go. look at the dust flying. i cant keep it outta my truck.....its piling on the dash as fast as i can wipe it off.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/005-1.jpg

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/004-2.jpg

lone wolf
07-09-2011, 08:52 AM
winds strong enough here right now to probably keep your lure a foot above the water!

Yup - but at least it helps keep the skeeters away LOL

horsetrader
07-09-2011, 09:04 AM

sorry chubbs

???????

horsetrader
07-09-2011, 09:14 AM
ha. this comming from ther person who maybe 10% of his posts are related to the OP comments. 10% is even being generous. common chubbs. you fool some but not me i dont need to go far to find a post miles out of line from you. yet drinking a beer while fishing. come on.

Not quite sure what your point is here i can't see the comparison between posting a comment unrelated to OP's post and posting the fact that you are breaking the law.

Dale S
07-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Its no fun fishing in the wind so I stayed home this morning. Now I have to pick up dog poop and cut the stinking grass. I hate those honey do lists.It's calling for the wind to slow down this afternoon. And quit by Sun.

npauls
07-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't mind fishing in the wind.

For walleye fishing you can drift along in a boat and drag jigs, lindys, spinners, or cranks depending on how windy it is. It also gives you a chance to fish mud lines and dead drift slip bobbers through high percentage areas that are in shallow water.

For fly fishing I like a bit of wind so I can dead drift nymphs under an indicator along certain depths giving it a natural presentation.

Glass calm is nice for relaxing but I have alot less action then I do with some wind.