PDA

View Full Version : need boat help/advice

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
here's the story I know very little about boats except they float,usually have engines and are v shaped most of the time, I have never owned a boat and have only been on a few friends boats over the years, now my wife wants to get a boat for fishing/water sports as she did it with her dad growing up,I am more interested in the water sports aspect of it than fishing and she is the opposite, through talking to a few friends who have a little more knowledge than me I have learned a few little things but as seriously lacking as far as knowing what I am talking about.

I was thinking something used maybe 10-20 years old,16-18 feet long with a 90 horse motor or more,a walk through window would be nice and an outboard,am I on the right track or totally wrong?

TyreeUM
07-08-2011, 04:04 PM
I think there are several companies that make boats that are sort of hybrid to cater to fishing and water sports (fish and ski). I am not a huge wakeboarder but my wife's family is and they would refuse to buy a boat for water sports that isn't a full inboard - but they also don't fish a whole lot either. I have seen quite a few people skiing and wake boarding behind crestliners that also have bow mount trolling motors, so maybe that is a good option.

SonnyJ
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
kijiji is your friend lol

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I think there are several companies that make boats that are sort of hybrid to cater to fishing and water sports (fish and ski). I am not a huge wakeboarder but my wife's family is and they would refuse to buy a boat for water sports that isn't a full inboard - but they also don't fish a whole lot either. I have seen quite a few people skiing and wake boarding behind crestliners that also have bow mount trolling motors, so maybe that is a good option.

yeah we definantely want to get one that is multi purpose for a few reason's, first so we can both be happy with it. second the boat will probably get more use that way so get more of our money's worth out of it. I don't want or need a big powerhouse I am thinking 90 horse to probably 120 would be fine enough, my vehicle is rated to tow 3500 pounds so I don't want a really big boat that will stretch the limits either, the small stuff is what I don't have a clue about like live wells/trolling motors or if you need one/what's better 2 or 4 stroke etc, the basics are not too bad to understand it's all the options and if you need them or not, also what's involved with this new boaters safety thing how hard is that to obtain?

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
kijiji is your friend lol

I have been looking through kijiji and there is a good selection of boats to look at, but it's hard to understand when you don't know what you are looking for or at.

WalleyeDeitz
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a 17' Lund Pro Sport which is geared mostly for fishing but has a snap in ski pole. So far it has served my family well for fishing and tubing. That said I have a 115 Merc 4 stroke on it and have had it loaded with 8 kids and an adult and kid on a tube and had a difficult time getting on plain. Could be an improper prop pitch but thought I would suggest that a 90 might be a bit too small if you have a big family in the boat and your trying to pull bubba the fat guy up on one ski.

Also, 2 strokes will pull someone up out of the water and get the boat on plain alot faster than a 4 stroke...I think everyone will agree on that. if the 90hp is a 2 stroke you will most likely be fine. The trade off is your fuel consumption.

Good luck on your search.

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a 17' Lund Pro Sport which is geared mostly for fishing but has a snap in ski pole. So far it has served my family well for fishing and tubing. That said I have a 115 Merc 4 stroke on it and have had it loaded with 8 kids and an adult and kid on a tube and had a difficult time getting on plain. Could be an improper prop pitch but thought I would suggest that a 90 might be a bit too small if you have a big family in the boat and your trying to pull bubba the fat guy up on one ski.

Also, 2 strokes will pull someone up out of the water and get the boat on plain alot faster than a 4 stroke...I think everyone will agree on that. if the 90hp is a 2 stroke you will most likely be fine. The trade off is your fuel consumption.

Good luck on your search.

don't have a big family just me and the wife for now but kids in the not to distant future:scared0018: ,I have a few nieces and cousins with kids etc that would be good to go though,just looking for a decent all round boat that hopefully doesn't need a whole lot of work,im ok with somethings and know quads/dirtbikes inside out as well as working on my own vehicles for years, but I don't know anything about boats,I could rewire and fix trailers no problem though lol, it is something I would like to get into though been in alberta for 13 years and never fished here ever, I consider myself much more of a hunter than fishermen but I like fishing enough,and my wife loves it, and it would be a good way to get out of the house:sHa_shakeshout:

WalleyeDeitz
07-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I think I have a great solution.......I will trade you my wife for yours. :)
A wife that loves fishing is hard to find...make sure you dont release her.

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I think I have a great solution.......I will trade you my wife for yours. :)
A wife that loves fishing is hard to find...make sure you dont release her.

she likes it more than me, her dad took her all the time as a kid and she has been talking about fishing alot lately, me im much more into hunting than fishing but I do like fishing just not as much, all of my fishing has been on the eastcoast and the best fishing is from the dock in my opinion, but if she wants to buy a boat and get back into it im not going to argue with her:love0025: she puts up with me hunting and refuses to go too much walking she says:angry3:.

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
also what's involved with this boat safety thing?

SonnyJ
07-08-2011, 04:46 PM
also what's involved with this boat safety thing?

It's BS if you ask me but you have to have your boating card.

It's easy to get tho.

www.boaterexam.com

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 04:55 PM
It's BS if you ask me but you have to have your boating card.

It's easy to get tho.

www.boaterexam.com

$50?

SonnyJ
07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
$50?

yup.....or pay $250 fine.

Like I said it's just a BS tax grab.:mad0030:

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 05:05 PM
yup.....or pay $250 fine.

Like I said it's just a BS tax grab.:mad0030:

if they want you to have it it should be free for at least a grace period:argue2:

is it good forever or do you have the renew it?

SonnyJ
07-08-2011, 05:28 PM
forever I think....I hope..lol

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
forever I think....I hope..lol

don't worry they will change it, no money in forever:thinking-006:

harrydude
07-08-2011, 06:40 PM
untill you loose your card and have to pay to get another

and eastcost were are you located???

whats your budjet?

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 07:51 PM
untill you loose your card and have to pay to get another

and eastcost were are you located???

whats your budjet?

located in edmonton and I would like to stay around 5 grand.

billie
07-08-2011, 08:36 PM
A bit of relative info for your search. Outboards from 70 HP and up respond very well to different props. Lower pitch prop; sharp response, reduced top speed: higher pitch; duller response, increased top speed (sort of).

2 stroke is snappier, doesn't like to idle.
4 stroke will be more steady, stronger low end, slower to speed, idle all day.

Good power guide: 100HP for 16', add 15HP/ft. (Carry 2 prop pitches 17"-19")

Older outboards (1995?)are rated at the power head rather than the prop, reduce by 15% for equal.

Change prop for specific duty (ski and fish).

Shape and interior to your preference:). Very few boats will do both ski and fish equally well but there are a lot of great boats to do both reasonably well.

Good luck.

eastcoast
07-08-2011, 11:58 PM
thanks for the advice guys much appreciated:love0025:

going to look at 2 different boats tommorow one a 16.5 footer 90 horse 2 stroke,one an 18 footer,85 horse 2 stroke and waiting on a few e mails on others.

HunterDave
07-09-2011, 01:11 AM
PM sent.