PDA

View Full Version : what are these????

WayneChristie
07-09-2011, 06:34 PM
caught a walleye today, both sides of its tail were covered in these, dont look like leeches to me. does anyone know what they are?
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/first%20sturgeon/DSCF2741.jpg

buckmaster
07-09-2011, 06:37 PM
look like some kind of snails to me.

HunterDave
07-09-2011, 07:08 PM
The closest that I've ever seen to what's in your photos were tumors on the walleye and that was in Ontario. Did it look like those worm like "items" were attached to the fish or growing out of it? Gross lookin' whatever it is. :(

Lefty-Canuck
07-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Looks like some kind of parasite....could be leeches at a young stage in their life cycle....I have seen some odd colored leeches, different than the usual brown/black ones.

LC

pickrel pat
07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
i would say young leeches.

Granrey
07-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I wonder if other fish try to eat them from its tail.

DuckBrat
07-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Probably another invasive species. I would send that to one of the fisheries biologists.

Lefty-Canuck
07-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I wonder if other fish try to eat them from its tail.

I am not sure if we have any fishes that act like a remora in Alberta lakes....I would think the walleye would just eat them when they came to help out....

LC

HunterDave
07-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Probably another invasive species. I would send that to one of the fisheries biologists.

Where are all of the fish board biologists.....lol? I'd send a picture in to SRD just to find out what it was (and let us know), if for nothing else.

I found this on the net:

"The walleye is host to a wide variety of parasites. Some of these include protozoans, trematodes, cestodes, nematodes, acanthocephalans, leeches, molluscs and crustaceans. In certain areas of Saskatchewan and Alberta walleye are infected with a broad tapeworm (Diphyllobothrium latum)."

They look more like a worm (acanthocephalans?) to me than a leech. :confused:

Definitively interesting...........thanks for posting. :)

WayneChristie
07-09-2011, 07:53 PM
they were all wiggling, didnt seem to bother the fish much, just me :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Geezle
07-09-2011, 08:03 PM
They look more like a worm (acanthocephalans?) to me than a leech. :confused:

Definitively interesting...........thanks for posting. :)

True, but they way they're stuck on with one end makes me think "leech"

I'm very curious to find out what it is one way or another.

flygirrl
07-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Its called packing your own lunch...Smart fish LOL

hunted
07-09-2011, 08:21 PM
How did it taste Wayne?

tacklerunner
07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Sea lice

TyreeUM
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
they are fish leaches, piscicola sp.

rsako
07-09-2011, 09:46 PM
caught a walleye today, both sides of its tail were covered in these, dont look like leeches to me. does anyone know what they are?
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/first%20sturgeon/DSCF2741.jpg

Care to share where this fish was caught? how did the rest of the fish health look? Skinny for length this time of year? any other details...

curious...

TyreeUM
07-09-2011, 09:57 PM
it is going to take a heck of a lot more leaches attached to that fish before it really starts having any serious consequences. They typically will stick to the fins of the fish but when there is a bad infestation they will be attached all over the fish - then you need to start worrying.

drhu22
07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
it is going to take a heck of a lot more leaches attached to that fish before it really starts having any serious consequences. They typically will stick to the fins of the fish but when there is a bad infestation they will be attached all over the fish - then you need to start worrying.

I dont have a clue what they are, but if they were leeches why would they attach where there is next to no blood supply? Doesn't make sense to me...

TyreeUM
07-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I dont have a clue what they are, but if they were leeches why would they attach where there is next to no blood supply? Doesn't make sense to me...

Actually, blood is constantly circulating through the fins of fish, and the skin is really thin and no thick scales to try to get past.

drhu22
07-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Excuse me if i am wrong, but i thought that fins were mainly bone/cartilage...no? Anyways im not knowledgeable enough to argue the subject, so i wont.

WayneChristie
07-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Care to share where this fish was caught? how did the rest of the fish health look? Skinny for length this time of year? any other details...

curious...

caught in the lower Bow fish was smaller, but looked rather healthy other than these ugly things. maybe a 13 or 14 inch fish, fought like normal, for a walleye that is

Guitarplayingfish
07-09-2011, 10:33 PM
That looks nasty. I work with a variety of fish biologists... Ill bring this up when I get a chance, Im interested in what it is as well.

pickrel pat
07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
That looks nasty. I work with a variety of fish biologists... Ill bring this up when I get a chance, Im interested in what it is as well.a few posts up. a fish bioligist answered the question. tyree.

chubbdarter
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
ah um......tyreeUM is a fish tech/bio

WayneChristie
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
That looks nasty. I work with a variety of fish biologists... Ill bring this up when I get a chance, Im interested in what it is as well.

please do, I really would like to know, the other fish I caught all looked extremely healthy

FishingMOM
07-09-2011, 11:21 PM
they are fish leaches, piscicola sp.

I believe the expert has spoken!

TyreeUM
07-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Excuse me if i am wrong, but i thought that fins were mainly bone/cartilage...no? Anyways im not knowledgeable enough to argue the subject, so i wont.

No it's ok, when I was finishing my undergrad we did a lab where we scoped a fin of a live fish and you could actually see the blood moving through the fin because the tissue was so thin, it was pretty cool.
Also, think of your human bones - there are blood vessels running through your bones as well.

I believe the expert has spoken!
haha far from an expert...I did and research article on piscicola spp. in 3 lakes here in Saskatchewan last winter but I have no idea what species that is from the picture.

Winch101
07-10-2011, 07:32 AM
I think it was good of tyree not to mention , that it was good that you didnt come in contact , as in flesh to leach....as the protein in leeches can work its way into the dermis and cause a condition known as wrinkly .
Have you noticed wayne that your skin is getting wrinkly.....
DODGER says that will teach you stick to pike , as we all know pike slime an excellent grooming product...

Always glad to help W101

Kim473
07-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Leeches, snails, but look simialar to slugs.

Mr.goldeye
07-10-2011, 11:17 AM
probably lamprey :1041:

Wes_G
07-10-2011, 11:27 PM
I see these on walleyes all the time out in Ontario. but have never seen them here. Havent really noticed any negative effects that they may have though.