PDA

View Full Version : Rigging your own rig?

Thundercatcher
07-10-2011, 10:47 PM
I seem to have success using my own rig than my pickeral rig for Rainbows at Sauer/CHickakoo lake. I tie a weight on the bottom of the line then higher up tie on the hook. What the best knot to tie that hook on. It would be line on line.

WayneChristie
07-10-2011, 10:52 PM
thats what Ive used for years. tie a double overhand loop in your main line, then snell your hook and tie a loop in the end of the snell, then run the hook through the main loop, and back through the snell loop. I usually use one hook, sometimes two. If you are using mono, the line usually breaks below the loop on the main line so you just lose your weight not the hook. most times.

bobalong
07-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I seem to have success using my own rig than my pickeral rig for Rainbows at Sauer/CHickakoo lake. I tie a weight on the bottom of the line then higher up tie on the hook. What the best knot to tie that hook on. It would be line on line.

Line leader connectors from Bear Paw work well for this and can be set at any depth up from the weight. They are available at the local fishing stores
http://www.bearpawtackle.com/index.asp

Dust1n
07-10-2011, 10:55 PM

a j hook with a bober works fine for me. and i can cast it quit aways by having only 4lb on 7;6 rod.

although using a small weight on a 3 way swival works for dropshots in rivers

chubbdarter
07-10-2011, 11:02 PM
i use this knot for droppers
http://www.steelheader.net/knots/dropper_loop.htm

bloopbloob
07-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I also use bear paws. probably not the greatest way to rig it up, but it's very convenient, and haven't failed me so far. I usually use them to rig a fly ahead of a spinner very easily, many other easy ways to use them.

Gust
07-11-2011, 01:12 AM
If I have a snelled hook, I'll cut a length of line we'll say two feet long then I tie my line to the center of the loop in the snell so that the hook sits horizontal, then at the bottom of the snell loop I tie the 2 foot length and then my weight to the bottom. I hope this pic works;
I
I
O---------------j
I
I
I

This helps keep the hook from wrapping around your line and keeps your bait more natural