PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Stella

stc77
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Hey all, just wondering if any of you have used or seen this reel. Was at WSS in calgary and they have a few in stock, wondering if these things are worth the price tag? I'm a big shimano fan, and the reel felt amazing. Some buddies of mine had been lookin for these and as far as we could find, WSS is the only place in town that actually has some in stock.

bobalong
07-11-2011, 09:33 AM
If you are looking at higher end I would think that a stradic or a sustain would work fine, for about half the price.

FishGuy07
07-11-2011, 09:33 AM
There was a 4000 size Stella at the Fishing Hole two weeks ago... maybe they sold it. :)

DanaS
07-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I have 2 Shimano Stellas (5000SW, 8000SW). They are fantastic fishing reals. You could debate whether they are worth the money or not. For me, they are an investment for a lifetime and likely my kids/grandkids. They cast super far and have a great drag system. I go to northern BC every year for salmon. Though I still get my ***** handed to me quite often, it is not the real that is failing me anymore. I will likely buy a third (debating 1000 or 2500) within the year for my Alberta fishing.
I also have Shimano: Saragosa, Saros (2), Spheros, Sedona, running from sizes 1000 - 18000. For the money, Shimano is a very good, reliable manufacturer (at least in my experience). Again, you could debate whether the Stella is worth the money. You get almost the same spec with the Sustain at about 1/3 of the price. Its like choosing between Rolls-Royce and a Cadillac.

Pike'n'walleye
07-15-2011, 12:01 AM
The reel is very nice. Super smooth and eeerythin' :sHa_sarcasticlol: And the price - yes it does hurt but you know what? That reel will last you for 30+ years of use. Just like mentioned above, it could be passed through generations. For a student like me, it is hard to afford a reel like that, but it is the quality that you are paying for. The reel is known worldwide. If you look on the shimano website and select Europe or Japan instead of North america, you won't see the Sahara, the Stradic or even a Sustain. However, the Stella is there! The reel was built with great quality and it is recognised all over the globe. When im done school and start making real money I will get one. Buy the reel and admire the quality :)

New Hunter Okotoks
07-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I know I've spent $1000 in worse ways!!!

Items like this are definitely an investment. Yeti coolers for example,(brought up in another thread) The price seems very high until you think about the quality and how they compare to other coolers. I have probably spent well over $500 on coolers over the years. Typically they get lent out and forgotten about. This would not happen with a Yeti! If I had spent the $400 for a Yeti years ago,I would still have it and would have enjoyed using a superior product all this time. The Stella is a similar animal. It could very well last you the rest of your life. If you figure out the math,it might make sense to buy one and own one of the finest reels made. (I might have talked myself into one after typing this!)

jeprli
07-15-2011, 08:36 AM
I'd put my money on Daiwa Certate hyper custom, it will outlast any freshwater stella out there.

European market has same reels we do just under different name. Sustain = twin power.....

FishGuy07
07-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I'd put my money on Daiwa Certate hyper custom, it will outlast any freshwater stella out there.

European market has same reels we do just under different name. Sustain = twin power.....

That (for the Daiwa) might be true... there is only one way to find out :)
The question I always ask myself when wondering if to buy a JDM model reel is: How do I fix it here, in Canada (North America) if something goes wrong? With the Stella this issue doesn't exist.

jeprli
07-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I've sent 3 certate HC reels to europe. Bought them out of US, price was good and quality unmatched. HC is out of production but still attainable.

JDM reels are something else :)

P.S. You can service themmin North America.