PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for pike and walleye

biggamehunter
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey I'm going to be trolling for pike and walleye at sylvan lake soon and I don't really know what to use. Should I go with a shallow x rap or should we use shallow shad raps? Or should I go with some soft plastics? -the storm kickin perch. Maybe use a red devil or a 5 of diamonds? All info will be greatly appreciated. I was reading geezels thread about trolling and thinking that if I am trolling in 10 to 15 feet of water I should be going 2km-3km with about 60 feet of line out. Is that about right? Thanks guyz and gals

338Bluff
07-11-2011, 01:25 PM
I usually use big silver spoons 5-7 " long. Canoes, Wablers, or the biggest Red and White Len Tomsens you can find.

Forage Base is Whitefish so I would think White, Chrome, Blue or Silver are good starting colors

Raps will work okay as well

For Walleye I would use a bottom bouncer, spinner, and minnow. I like Pink, Green, or Silver.

outfishmyhusband
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Cant go wrong with a soft Storm perch,it would appeal to both walleye and pike at the same time.They are slightly weighted in the front so they are heavy enough to get down nicely while trolling yet not so heavy that you will be snagging the bottom even in 10- 15 feet of water.

Hooker
07-11-2011, 02:21 PM
All the lures suggested here will work well. Presentation of those lures can make the difference between success and a very slow day. If you have a depth finder stick to the 10 foot plus water right now. That's where the big ones are starting to move out to. Make sure your trolling speed matches your lure's action. Check it out in the water beside the boat when it is up to trolling speed. I usually troll between 2 - 3 mph (3 - 5 km). Larger lures often require a faster speed to give them the action they were designed for. Keep your lure off to the side of the boat. The boat's passage often spooks the fish under it to either side. About every 30 seconds pull your rod tip forward and then drop it back. That causes the lure to flutter down in the water as a wounded fish would. This action attracts both Walleye and Pike and make them more likely to strike it when it is on the downward flutter. Other than that it's just a matter of finding good structure on the bottom where they like to hide out. Hope that wasn't too boring. Good luck.

pickrel pat
07-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I usually use big silver spoons 5-7 " long. Canoes, Wablers, or the biggest Red and White Len Tomsens you can find.

Forage Base is Whitefish so I would think White, Chrome, Blue or Silver are good starting colors

Raps will work okay as well

For Walleye I would use a bottom bouncer, spinner, and minnow. I like Pink, Green, or Silver.x2.... troll what you want for a possibility of pike or a walleye, or bottom bounce for walleye with the odd pike thrown in.

Jiffy10
07-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm under the impression that pike will hit on anything. I like the spoons
for trolling. If you have 12 ft of water... use a brand name spoon. They
will sink and trail nicely for you. If your 8 ft and under and there is lots
of lakes around like that..... use the cheap , no name spoons. They dont
sink as much and the weed monsters wont get you. Bright orange gold kind
of colors usually do the trick. Has an awesome day this spring and caught
24 smaller pike on the same $2.19 spoon. Kinda funny that the heavier spoons got caught up in the weeds. enjoy the summer......

maclennanchris
07-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey I'm going to be trolling for pike and walleye at sylvan lake soon and I don't really know what to use. Should I go with a shallow x rap or should we use shallow shad raps? Or should I go with some soft plastics? -the storm kickin perch. Maybe use a red devil or a 5 of diamonds? All info will be greatly appreciated. I was reading geezels thread about trolling and thinking that if I am trolling in 10 to 15 feet of water I should be going 2km-3km with about 60 feet of line out. Is that about right? Thanks guyz and gals

Hey for pike we have been using the Xrap's, hothead colours......they crush those things when we use em.....let me know how it works

sheepstalker
07-18-2011, 09:04 PM
cant beat the good ol' 5 of diamonds! the bigger the better!!!!