PDA

View Full Version : Monster Walleye at Pembina river?

Thundercatcher
07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Today I was fishing at Pembina river provincial park? The water is high a muddy, so I was using a white jig. On the second cast I hookes something big. I was fighting it for 15-30 minutes and then it snapped off the line. Both of us were catching stuff but seemed impossible to real in. Were we just catching on logs or something? What ever it was they would try to swim up stream then I gave them some line and they would go down stream!

pickrel pat
07-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Today I was fishing at Pembina river provincial park? The water is high a muddy, so I was using a white jig. On the second cast I hookes something big. I was fighting it for 15-30 minutes and then it snapped off the line. Both of us were catching stuff but seemed impossible to real in. Were we just catching on logs or something? What ever it was they would try to swim up stream then I gave them some line and they would go down stream!when you pulled hard it looked like your line was going upstream? when you relaxed your line went downstream? sounds like a snag in heavy current. but after 15-30 minutes you think you would know......?

Granrey
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
when you pulled hard it looked like your line was going upstream? when you relaxed your line went downstream? sounds like a snag in heavy current. but after 15-30 minutes you think you would know......?

man, don't damage the tale dude. LOL

Thundercatcher
07-11-2011, 08:33 PM
yeah it was wierd , I never really fishing much in rivers . When I would stop reeling and just hold still, I could feel yanking on the line.

pickrel pat
07-11-2011, 08:34 PM
man, don't damage the tale dude. LOLhe asked a question, i gave him what i think may be the answer. lol.

pickrel pat
07-11-2011, 08:36 PM
yeah it was wierd , I never really fishing much in rivers . When I would stop reeling and just hold still, I could feel yanking on the line.

you may have even got snagged with a fish on the line.... ive done that a few times in rivers. and yes... even after your snagged, sometimes you can still feel the fish.

Granrey
07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
you may have even got snagged with a fish on the line.... ive done that a few times in rivers. and yes... even after your snagged, sometimes you can still feel the fish.

Dude, you are evil. LOL

Thundercatcher
07-11-2011, 09:08 PM
me and my brother kept getting hits like that. So maybe it was snagged. Do strong currents make it that hard to reel one in?

pickrel pat
07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
me and my brother kept getting hits like that. So maybe it was snagged. Do strong currents make it that hard to reel one in?i dont know.

Granrey
07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
i dont know.

lol

BGSH
07-11-2011, 10:30 PM

its common sense man, you would know if you hook a log or fish :)

Thundercatcher
07-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah it was strange, when I open up my bail the line would keep pulling out until I was almost out of line

buckmaster
07-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah it was strange, when I open up my bail the line would keep pulling out until I was almost out of line

Are you camping at pembina? I will be there tomorrow till friday camping.

Thundercatcher
07-11-2011, 11:51 PM
No just went for the day, going to camp there at the end of the month, what are the best camping spots there?

WayneChristie
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM

honestly, it sounds like you were snagged on the bottom in a heavy current.

Lefty-Canuck
07-12-2011, 07:43 AM

....thats because your hook was snagged....the "belly" of the line was catching the current causing it to pull off your reel, with an open bail in a current this is sure to happen.

LC

bigfishen
07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
....thats because your hook was snagged....the "belly" of the line was catching the current causing it to pull off your reel, with an open bail in a current this is sure to happen.

LC

Or maybe a fish bit onto the "belly" of the line and swam with it for a while in its mouth before it spit it out

outdoors forever
07-12-2011, 05:45 PM
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/outdoorsforever/popcorn.gif

TyreeUM
07-12-2011, 06:07 PM
the only fish I know of that will act that way is a large ray...and I don't know how many of those are swimming around in that area, so I would say a snag.

drifter
07-12-2011, 06:14 PM
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/outdoorsforever/popcorn.gif

That's Awesome.
Best one I've seen. Thanks