PDA

View Full Version : Newest hobby

Freedom55
07-12-2011, 07:54 AM
I took up a new hobby this week that is consuming every spare minute of my time.

I met a bunch of fishermen last week who all tie their own crawler harnesses. They had trays of beads and colorado blades and spin & glows and the like, plus foam covered "wheels" on which to store their creations.

I was lucky enough to have enough store-bought rigs to get me through the weekend but I found myself trying to rescue rigs from the pike that would not stay off the hook. Time consuming and ready to break anyway due to the toothiness of the jacks.

I went on a mission in Calgary and found the right place to purchase all the components I need to tie my own and save a few dollars along the way. Thanks to a certain Fishin" Hole employee who showed me the displays and told me of the right ways and colors plus a few other tips. I am on my way to abandoning forever the $3.50 store bought junk in favor of the buck-a-unit snelled leaders and blades that will definitely help to put more walleye in the boat.

Now I am looking to learn a new knot. A type of snell that is doubled on the shank plus double hooked that I cannot find on the interweb but was shown a time or two lately. Plenty of time to practice around here!

Free