PDA

View Full Version : The Crow or the livingstone??

diamonddave
07-12-2011, 10:19 AM
So Mommabear and I are taking a little vacation this weekend and we decided to head down south. I am not familair with the area at all, but I am wondering which would be the better place to go to get in a little flyfishing and tent camping.
I have directions to get to the livingstone and I know how to get to the crowsnest, just not sure which to pick.
We would like to get in some days on the river, but im not sure where to go on either one.
Would the livingstone be better for finding a spot to camp and walk and wade, or would it be easier to find a provincial campground down at the crowsnest? Is it hard to access the crow or can i guy find some back roads to take us away from the mass of people?
Lots of questions sorry, but I appreciate the advice in advance.

highwood
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Both are great rivers with terrific access. However, on the weekend, both will also be extremely busy and the chance of finding a piece of water completely to yourself is slim to none. If you are looking for some solitude, perhaps try fishing some of the tributaries. As for fishing, the Crow is in good shape. Water levels are a little up but wading is now more managable and water clarity is good. I suspect the Livingstone will be in decent shape by the weekend too, however I'm sure it will be a zoo out there. Random camping along the Livingstone is abundant so perhaps that might be your best bet.

diamonddave
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks highwood, That was why I was kinda leaning to the livingstone for the random camping. We are planning on fishing Thursday and Friday before the masses show up, then heading into the pass for the Thunder in the Mountains show.

MoFugger21
07-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Like Highwood said, there are lots of random camping areas along the Livingstone (between the Livingstone Falls campground and Oldman campground on the east side of the trunk road- side the river is on obviously, haha). The pull-off-the-road-and-park-camping can get a little ridiculous during the weekend, as everyone has the same idea, but there are tons of nice spots in there, especially if you're not trying to pull a trailer down some of the trails.

On a side note... I'll be out there with my wife, meeting up with parents right in the Livingstone campground, and can't wait! I haven't had the time the past few years to get out there much after spending almost 2 weeks out there every summer for the better part of 16 years when I was younger!! Hope the weather holds!!! :)

Good luck out there, and have fun!!

tacklerunner
07-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Since you're tent camping and not pulling a trailer, if you stay on the Livingstone, you can head south on the trunk road and fish the Crowsnest as well for a day, morning or evening. It's less than an hour south.

Daceminnow
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks highwood, That was why I was kinda leaning to the livingstone for the random camping. We are planning on fishing Thursday and Friday before the masses show up, then heading into the pass for the Thunder in the Mountains show.

i know of more than one group of guys that have the exact same plans Dave. she's gonna be busier than a normal week-end with the extra excitement happening in the pass. have fun.

Dace

diamonddave
07-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Perfect, thanks for the info guys! We are in a blue mini van loaded right to the roof! We will be turing and exploring for a few days so if we don't get too lost it should be great!

Off in the Bushes
07-14-2011, 06:58 AM
It is going to be Thunde in the Valley this weekend inthe CNP and camping is going to be a premium if you don't like crowds go elsewhere as it is going to be a zoo down there.