PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning rusty lures?

Geezle
07-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Is there a way to clean lures that have started to rust? Buffing wheel on a dremel maybe?

What about preventing rust after cleaning?

Guitarplayingfish
07-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I would suggest trying to get the rust off like you would anything else... SOS pads, the blue things should clear that up. As for preventing rust... Wipe your lures down dry after you use them haha. Good luck!

Albertafisher
07-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I would say prevent rust by either purchasing stainless steel hooks LOL or just drying them off after each use.

chubbdarter
07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Gee.....im not much of a spoon or spinner fisherman but have a buddy who drops those silica things from food packages in his tackle box and his spoons rarely rust

npauls
07-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Like Chub said.

Either silica packs or desiccant will do the trick.

Geezle
07-12-2011, 03:49 PM
I would say prevent rust by either purchasing stainless steel hooks LOL or just drying them off after each use.

Not so much the hooks, but some of the lures themselves. Drying them off after each use is a bit too much of a hassle. On most days everything will dry on its own, but if you're fishing on a rainy day, watch out!

Particularly my tray of little trout stuff has started to rust. Was out doing some trouting in the rain and the box got closed up with water in it. I don't mind replacing hooks - it's something I like to do anyway, but I'd like to save the lures themselves.

I like the desiccant idea. I saw some for taking the moisture out of compressed air for painting at Princess Auto once many moons ago, but haven't seen it since. Any idea where such a product could be obtained?

ÜberFly
07-12-2011, 03:52 PM
What about "CLR"? Just a suggestion, I don't know if it would work?!

P

chubbdarter
07-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Not so much the hooks, but some of the lures themselves. Drying them off after each use is a bit too much of a hassle. On most days everything will dry on its own, but if you're fishing on a rainy day, watch out!

Particularly my tray of little trout stuff has started to rust. Was out doing some trouting in the rain and the box got closed up with water in it. I don't mind replacing hooks - it's something I like to do anyway, but I'd like to save the lures themselves.

I like the desiccant idea. I saw some for taking the moisture out of compressed air for painting at Princess Auto once many moons ago, but haven't seen it since. Any idea where such a product could be obtained?

Geez
i never put back a lure ive just used back in my tackle box....it goes in the breathable front pouch of the tray bag.....most front pouches are hook proof..
I deal with the organizing after the trip

mikeym
07-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Princess Auto still sells them in the air products section. picked some up a month or two ago.

if not there then you can try Acklands on 118th ave or some of the auto body supply places like AMP on 124th st north of the Yellowhead.

rgds
Mike

Kokanee9
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Jay, I sent a link in regards to this.

npauls
07-12-2011, 04:08 PM
You can usually buy the desiccant at window shops. They use it in the metal framing of sealed unit to keep the moisture out of the middle of your sealed double or triple units. You could also try some shoe shops for the silica packs. Just ask if they have any or could gather any up for you. When I worked at sportchek they would just chuck the ones that fell out of the boxes or were taken out while trying shoes on into a box and set them aside.

chubbdarter
07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
or go and buy some asian crackers......then you have munchies and shiney hooks

Deep
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Yep, best bet is to keep moisture level down- like letting the tackle box air dry after a rainy trip. Dessicants work well also. I just finished polishing the spinner blades with a brass brush on the "Dremel", that worked great.

Geezle
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Dericious!

Geezle
07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Yep, best bet is to keep moisture level down- like letting the tackle box air dry after a rainy trip. Dessicants work well also. I just finished polishing the spinner blades with a brass brush on the "Dremel", that worked great.

I was thinking more the buffing pads over the brass brush...nothing I have is too terribly rusty, but I want to take care of it before they get any worse.

bloopbloob
07-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Just don't let anyone see you eating them at the lake, or they will think you're poacher, with shiny hooks :scared0018:

horsetrader
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
If you troll faster it will wear the rust off.......I have a magnet strip that I hang lures on until dry

ghostguy6
07-12-2011, 05:59 PM
You can buy some small re-useable desicant packs at Shipper's Supply or possibly WSS.

How you clean them would depend on how deep the rust actually is. Most likely some 2000 grit paper then a quick polish with some wax will work. Your always welcome to use my buffing wheel and some fine emery compound if you want a mirror finish. If the rust is to the point were it is scalely then youll need to remove it completely and repaint or polish.

densa44
07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
If you find some that a previous fisherman has lost and they are rusty, I'd change the split ring and the hook then buff up the lure, it will have many good years left!

freeones
07-13-2011, 08:01 AM
Look for a product called "naval jelly", it's designed specifically to remove rust on tools and other metals and it works really well. That should get all your metal lures cleaned up like new.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Give them a WD-40 bath then wipe off with a rag , if its tough to get off use SOS pad with wd-40 and soaking them will prevent rust the next time .When I use to do alot of pike fishing I use to do that every year or so wd-40 bath for 8 hrs .

bubba 96
07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Give them a WD-40 bath then wipe off with a rag , if its tough to get off use SOS pad with wd-40 and soaking them will prevent rust the next time .When I use to do alot of pike fishing I use to do that every year or so wd-40 bath for 8 hrs .

And I've heard from some old school fisherman that its also a good fish attractant .Just don't think Id give it a whirl tho..