PDA

View Full Version : fishin in cuba

Pilsner Man
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I found out that i will be going to Cuba next Janurary and was hoping to get some ideas of the fishin oportunities down there.

Bobby B.
01-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Four of us fished out of Veradero some years back. Water was rough yet I managed to hook and land a 30-35 lb wahoo, the only fish of the trip. As all fishing boats are govt. boats, there was no bargaining as far as we could tell. We booked through our Air Transat rep. Despite our meager success, Cuba does offer excellent fishing.

Bobby B.

Chet
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I've done a lot of fly fishing down there. What part of Cuba are you planning to go to and what type of fishing are you in to? Cuba is a great place to fish. There is a good reason that Ernest Hemmingway lived there so long.

Chet

Pilsner Man
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Most likely be going to Varadero and i would be most interested in salt water fishing.

Chet
01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I've never fished the Varadero area so I guess I can't help you much there. I'm sure a guy can book on offshore charter out of there with a decent chance for success, but I don't think there is much for inshore or saltwater flats fishing in the area... at least not that I'm aware of. I hope it works out for you.

Make sure you post some pics!

Chet

Dylan
01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
About four years back, my old man and I booked a charter for the half day (afternoon) option. I don't recall the cost but seems to me it was $300 USD or so for the two of us. This was out of Varadero as well.

As it was a half-day only, we didn't get too far off shore, only a couple miles but had decent luck. Between the two of us we caught 5 yellowfin tuna, and I hooked a barracuda. Nothing that we needed to strap into the fighting chair for, but still lots of fun.

This wasn't a gov't boat, it was operated by a father and son, which we set up thru the hotel (Barcelo Solymar). They pick you up in a van from the hotel and take you back at the end of the day. It was a very nice, new clean boat, which they lived on at night. They had beer on the boat for a few bucks a pop, and free chips, light snacks. At the end of the excursion, they offered to cook up one of our fish for us. They keep all the legal fish, and assuming the client doesn't want to eat all their catch, they then sell it to kids on the dock, who in turn sell it to local fishmarkets or restaurants. It's actually a pretty good business cycle they have, helps the community at all levels.

Although we didn't get any neat marlins, swordfish, etc they are around, and if I were to do it again, would likely do the full-day as the deeper and farther out you go, the better your odds at hooking one of those, but that depends on the funds you have at your disposal.

Another note- The marina that we left out of (surprising number of American boats actually from across the strait) also had a fenced off Cuban Navy compound. My dad found out real quick that they aren't fond of people taking photos of their battleships. Careful about that or you may find yourself on the business end of a soviet-era carbine!

Overall though, I loved Cuba and highly recommend it!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, but there's likely no shortage of guys on this board who have been and will offer their two pennies on this thread.