PDA

View Full Version : Stonecat

Steven Noel
07-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Has anyone ever caught one in Alberta? As Alberta's only native catfish, found only in the Milk River system, I always thought it would be cool to catch one. The Stonecat is Alberta's only poisonous fish, with spines in the pectoral fins capable of delivering a wasp-like sting. So, anyone have a Stonecat story?

Steven Noel

pickrel pat
07-12-2011, 09:35 PM
im thinking i may put it on my alberta bucket list. gonna do some research and see if they are even in catchable numbers in alberta.

Alberta Bigbore
07-12-2011, 09:41 PM
they are pests, lol. amazing little bastards that can swallow down a baited hook half thier size. I havent caught them here.. but in Manitoba they are everywhere

sheephunter
07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
they are pests, lol. amazing little bastards that can swallow down a baited hook half thier size. I havent caught them here.. but in Manitoba they are everywhere

Think you are refering to bullheads...don't think Manitoba has true stone cats. Very rare here too. Occasionally found in Milk River.

Alberta Bigbore
07-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Think you are refering to bullheads...don't think Manitoba has true stone cats. Very rare here too. Occasionally found in Milk River.

The Manitoba locals call the baby Brown Bullheads Stonecats for some reason. I just go along with it... like Albertans calling walleye .. pickerel. :scared0015: