PDA

View Full Version : The one that got away .

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-13-2011, 01:56 AM
It was a non windy , mosquito filled evening , except the thermocell worked well , wet july evening and well the Video tell you the rest . Also Jay = Geezle .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV8i29yWypg

This is the First Sturgeon weve caught on film , I need to start carrying Video camera . Hell I didnt even have my own rod . Everything is in other Vehicle .

Hope yall enjoy .

Lefty-Canuck
07-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Thats a bummer guys....any guesses as to how big? Did you get a decent look at the fish? I am pretty sure Geezle would have been using a decent rig and poundage of line for those bad boys.....next time you need to bring a "sturgeon wrassler" with you so he can jump in the river and carry it out!LOL

LC

Geezle
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Thats a bummer guys....any guesses as to how big? Did you get a decent look at the fish? I am pretty sure Geezle would have been using a decent rig and poundage of line for those bad boys.....next time you need to bring a "sturgeon wrassler" with you so he can jump in the river and carry it out!LOL

LC

I should have chased the bugger downstream, but I knew that there's nowhere to land it down that way, so once he took off downstream I tried to winch it back, but the 30lb Big Game my snell was tied with snapped.

Might have to switch over to something heavier and start using crimp sleeves...anything much over 30lbs is a PITA to tie :o

Mr.goldeye
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM

LC

Yeah someone did not pick out their rapala extreme net man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBCKUNo1Amc

buckbrushoutdoors
07-13-2011, 10:42 AM
IMO mono is junk in the river! Switch over berkely power pro 40# and you will never lose a fish again. I've seen this stuff wrapped around motors, trees and what ever else you can get snagged on a boat and still no snapped line.

07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
IMO mono is junk in the river! Switch over berkely power pro 40# and you will never lose a fish again. I've seen this stuff wrapped around motors, trees and what ever else you can get snagged on a boat and still no snapped line.

We have do use Power pro or similar braided line the issue we have both been having at the end of the video where I put Sturgeon 2 - BBJ and Jay 0 is we both have caught good sized sturgeon and the snell is snapping that were tying . Ive made braided line snells but you dont get the flutter action you do of the mono and fluro . Someone else suggested Spiderwire fluorocarbon as it comes in heavy stuff but fairly thin diameter so you can still tie it , im gonna pick up a couple spools and test it out . But we can proudly say we finally got one on film , gonna start Hauling the handi cam out with us .

I cant speak for Geezle but here is what im running on my reels .

8 ft berkley musky stick , Quantum Iron baitcaster , 110 lb tuff line

10 ft cabelas Cat fish rod , Okuma concevtor 30 d model , 80 or 100 lb Suffix 832 .

10 ft cabelas cat fish rod , Shamino Corvalious , 100 lb power pro .

10 ft Cabelas catfish rod , abu garcia ambassitor , 100 lb power pro .

Fishfinder
07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
My vote goes to Suffix 832 when sturg fishing the river this year. So far so good. No line lost....yet. No sturg caught bigger than 56" caught on it yet though as well. I use 30#. Works for me.
Unfortunately unable to watch your video here in camp.
Cheers n GL gentlemen!:)

07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Have any of you guys use the Trigger X nightcrawllers , Im thinkin that there would the cats ass for catching them , I just watched a video of Al Linder did caught 50 % more then live night crawlers .

buckbrushoutdoors
07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Are they real or plastic? Never heard of them

bobalong
07-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I have used the Trigger X, they work well, about the same as the gulp ones

WayneChristie
07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
has anyone ever caught sturgeon on the imitation worms? wow is that 7 bucks for 1 worm? Ive been using suffix for a month now and am impressed with it, using 30 pound on my spinning reel. I have no worries about landing a bigger fish with it at all. Looks like Geezer got a rematch from the pic you sent me, way to go Jay!

Geezle
07-13-2011, 10:18 PM
has anyone ever caught sturgeon on the imitation worms? wow is that 7 bucks for 1 worm? Ive been using suffix for a month now and am impressed with it, using 30 pound on my spinning reel. I have no worries about landing a bigger fish with it at all. Looks like Geezer got a rematch from the pic you sent me, way to go Jay!

Thanks Wayne! Yes I did get my rematch. I don't think it was the same fish, but I won't complain too much! :budo:

BBJ's got all the pics and vid so I'm hoping he'll have that together and up in a bit :cool:

Alberta Bigbore
07-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Congrats again on that fish Jay... BBJ cracks me up when he gets a hold of a cell phone

Geezle
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Congrats again on that fish Jay... BBJ cracks me up when he gets a hold of a cell phone

Thanks man :cool:

BBJ cracks everybody up when he gets a hold of a cell phone! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

ghostguy6
07-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Congradulations again Jay, She was a beauty!

After some of BBJ's comments at the river I think we should change his name to BBW......:sHa_sarcasticlol: