PDA

View Full Version : Racehorse/Dutch creek

Magnet
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Racehorse and Dutch creeks are they low? Are they clear? How is the Oldman? high, clear, muddy, low? Let me know thad be great

onthefly
07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
I fished Racehorse and Oldman yesterday. Racehorse is high and murky, Oldman is clear and high. I found the fishing quite slow for this time of year, talking to other anglers they were saying the same thing... Maybe I just always expect to catch fish at every corner on cutty streams. The water temp is very cold for this time of year also and might be a bigger factor then water vis and flow. With lots of nice weather in the forecast I expect things could turn around soon.

highwood
07-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Be sure to bring your nymphing gear if you are flyfishing as the water temps are still quite low. This will be more productive than drys at the moment.....but with warmer temperatures expected things should be changing soon...

bessiedog
07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Vicary was a little slow and off color. All fish were on dries.

The gap was blowy but worth it. Its much clearer.. the water temp is very cold and thats putting the fish off a bit.

I'm heading back up there ASAP though..... willowflies!! Latest I've ever seen them... nuff said!

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Hey all...

Heading to this area for the first time and not sure what to use...Really, the only trout that I have fished for were rainbow usually in stocked ponds. I do not flyfish yet so any spin casting ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have searched other threads and seems most info is for flyfishing

Thank you in advance:)

MoFugger21
09-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Any of the more popular spinners will work - Blue Fox, Mepps, Panther Martin, etc. I personally prefer Blue Fox #1 to #3 spinners in gold or silver or copper.

Fish all the water - flat runs, fast current, deep pools, cut banks, over hanging logs, etc. Cast across the river, or at a 45(ish) angle, slowly retrieve and let the current do it's work. In the deeper water, I usually let the spinner sink for a few seconds, and then start to retrieve. Sometimes the flash of the spinner sinking will get the attention of the deeper fish.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Any of the more popular spinners will work - Blue Fox, Mepps, Panther Martin, etc. I personally prefer Blue Fox #1 to #3 spinners in gold or silver or copper.

Fish all the water - flat runs, fast current, deep pools, cut banks, over hanging logs, etc. Cast across the river, or at a 45(ish) angle, slowly retrieve and let the current do it's work. In the deeper water, I usually let the spinner sink for a few seconds, and then start to retrieve. Sometimes the flash of the spinner sinking will get the attention of the deeper fish.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Thanks Mo...:)

This is exactly the info I am looking for

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 09:05 AM
What would I use for Whitefish?

Thanks again:)

MoFugger21
09-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I've never hooked up a RMW, let alone targeted them... So I can't be much help there. I know both my dad and brother have caught them using Blue Fox spinners, but I think that's mostly right place, right time... Maybe BeeGuy will chime in. I think he's targeted them with spin cast gear before.

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks again...I will let you know how we do and hopefully post some pics..

Cutthroat and RMW are still on my bucket list and hopefully I can cross them off this weekend:sHa_shakeshout:

MoFugger21
09-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Good luck! Also, polarized glasses are almost a must!!

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Good luck! Also, polarized glasses are almost a must!!

Why is that? I have prescription glasses so not sure I can wear them over top

Pike fisher
09-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Buy polarized prescription glasses. I have them and I love them for all summer and winter outdoor activities.

fishstix
09-12-2013, 10:35 AM
You can get polarized otg's . I find the polarized glasses a must. You can see so much more with them. Makes spotting and targeting fish easier.

MoFugger21
09-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Why is that? I have prescription glasses so not sure I can wear them over top

You can get polarized otg's . I find the polarized glasses a must. You can see so much more with them. Makes spotting and targeting fish easier.

This. They take most of the glare off of the water and it's WAY easier to follow your spinner through the current, spot the fish, and see how they react to your spinner. For me anyways, it adds to the excitement as well, when you can see the fish come out from it's hiding spot and eye up your hook. There's many times I never would've known a fish was around without having polarized glasses.

You certainly don't NEED them, but they definitely help. And in your situation(having prescriptions), I think you should be able to get clip-on's, or even get prescription polarized glasses (though that may get pricey, I dunno...).

Argentus
09-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I have prescription glasses, and buy spring-loaded clip-on polarized sunglasses that fit over them at Wal Mart for about $15 (in the jewelery section, for some reason). They work great, and the price is pretty reasonable.

Whitefish tend to hold pretty close to the bottom, so fish deeper than for cutthroats. Their mouths are also pretty small, so too big a hook will prevent some strikes. I'd say try a #1 or #2 Panther Martin or equivalent. You might also try micro jigs. They seem to like red things, in my experience.

It's also quite easy to fish flies with a spinning rod, especially in a small stream like Racehorse. Just get a bobber of some kind (casting bubbles are best, but even a small red&white will work. Put the bobber about 1 1/2 the water depth from the end of the line and tie on a small nymph (underwater fly). Add some split shot if the water's fast. Lob cast upstream and let it drift down through the pool.

***End of relevant part of the post.***

Also,

Polarized glasses work because their molecules (or a coating's molecules) are oriented into a bunch of parallel lines (that is, polarized). At a microscopic level, they are like a bunch of little bars. Light waves travelling parallel to the bars can get through the gaps between them, while those perpendicular to the bars are blocked.

It's kind of like walking on a Texas gate. If you walk with your feet perpendicular to the bars (along the road), they can't fall through, but if you walk parallel to the bars (across the road), they can fall through.

When glare off the water comes at lots of crazy angles, the polarized glasses only let part of it filter through to your eyes. To extend my example, imagine a mosh pit on a Texas gate. Only some feet will fall through.

Polarized glasses don't just help you see fish through the water, they help you see your line against the water (easier to tie knots), prevent snowblindness (this feature only available in winter), and make the sky a really cool shade of blue.

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the info guys....I am going shopping tonight...LOL

I definately want to make this trip the most enjoyable I can:)

I have always been a pike, walleye etc. fisherman but I have always wanted to get out west and learn the river, creeks for trout varieties...even though I am not yet into flyfishing....:)

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I have prescription glasses, and buy spring-loaded clip-on polarized sunglasses that fit over them at Wal Mart for about $15 (in the jewelery section, for some reason). They work great, and the price is pretty reasonable.

Whitefish tend to hold pretty close to the bottom, so fish deeper than for cutthroats. Their mouths are also pretty small, so too big a hook will prevent some strikes. I'd say try a #1 or #2 Panther Martin or equivalent. You might also try micro jigs. They seem to like red things, in my experience.

It's also quite easy to fish flies with a spinning rod, especially in a small stream like Racehorse. Just get a bobber of some kind (casting bubbles are best, but even a small red&white will work. Put the bobber about 1 1/2 the water depth from the end of the line and tie on a small nymph (underwater fly). Add some split shot if the water's fast. Lob cast upstream and let it drift down through the pool.

***End of relevant part of the post.***

Also,

Polarized glasses work because their molecules (or a coating's molecules) are oriented into a bunch of parallel lines (that is, polarized). At a microscopic level, they are like a bunch of little bars. Light waves travelling parallel to the bars can get through the gaps between them, while those perpendicular to the bars are blocked.

It's kind of like walking on a Texas gate. If you walk with your feet perpendicular to the bars (along the road), they can't fall through, but if you walk parallel to the bars (across the road), they can fall through.

When glare off the water comes at lots of crazy angles, the polarized glasses only let part of it filter through to your eyes. To extend my example, imagine a mosh pit on a Texas gate. Only some feet will fall through.

Polarized glasses don't just help you see fish through the water, they help you see your line against the water (easier to tie knots), prevent snowblindness (this feature only available in winter), and make the sky a really cool shade of blue.

ok...Here I go again... I know there are so many types of flies out there...

I know of wet and dry flies....What is the difference?

What type should I look for? I only want to get a few for now till I master this...LOL

I think all my other questions were answered:)

Argentus
09-12-2013, 02:54 PM
There are so many ways to answer that question.

For your impending trip, I'd suggest keeping it really simple, so I'll try to avoid fly-fishing words.

A nymph is a kind of wet fly that represents an immature water insect, which is what whitefish eat most. They look more "buggy" than traditional wet flies, which represent drowned adult insects instead.

Look for flies called Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Copper John, or Pheasant Tail, in size 14 or 16. There are thousands of different nymph patterns, but these are so common you should even find them at Wally World (in a blister pack).

If you're used to pike and walleye lures, your first reaction will be "holy crap, those are small!" They are. You should be able to tie a size 14 fly to 6-lb line. If your line is much heavier, it may not fit through the eye of the hook, in which case you'll need to get fancy with smaller line as a leader.

Hopefully that answers your qustion without causing too many new ones.

MoFugger21
09-12-2013, 03:50 PM
... You should be able to tie a size 14 fly to 6-lb line. If your line is much heavier...

This reminded me of something kevinhits... You shouldn't/won't need line heavier than 6lb mono. Anything over that is overkill for the small streams.

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 05:21 PM
There are so many ways to answer that question.

For your impending trip, I'd suggest keeping it really simple, so I'll try to avoid fly-fishing words.

A nymph is a kind of wet fly that represents an immature water insect, which is what whitefish eat most. They look more "buggy" than traditional wet flies, which represent drowned adult insects instead.

Look for flies called Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Copper John, or Pheasant Tail, in size 14 or 16. There are thousands of different nymph patterns, but these are so common you should even find them at Wally World (in a blister pack).

If you're used to pike and walleye lures, your first reaction will be "holy crap, those are small!" They are. You should be able to tie a size 14 fly to 6-lb line. If your line is much heavier, it may not fit through the eye of the hook, in which case you'll need to get fancy with smaller line as a leader.

Hopefully that answers your qustion without causing too many new ones.
Excellent...
Thanks....I understand that lingo so it will get me going this weekend.:)

kevinhits
09-12-2013, 05:22 PM
This reminded me of something kevinhits... You shouldn't/won't need line heavier than 6lb mono. Anything over that is overkill for the small streams.

Thanks again:)