PDA

View Full Version : question answered

WayneChristie
07-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Ive wondered if goldeye and mooneye are in the same place at the same time, went to the Low Bow after work today, and got a nice goldeye followed by 3 mooneyes at the same spot, guess they do. Also, stepped out of the truck, told my lady to watch where she walked since the grass is pretty long, and I took 3 steps and found this pretty critter, coiled in defense, but didnt strike at all, even after I moved her around a bit. They seem to buzz more when they are going away than when you encounter them, forget the stories about them rattling before they strike, havent seen that yet.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/rattler.jpg

for those who dont know the difference between mooneyes and goldeyes,
Goldeye, gold ring all around the pupil.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/goldeye2.jpg

Mooneye just a crescent of gold above the eye, other than that they look pretty much the same. They sure hit a worm hard!

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/mooneye2.jpg

No dinos today, going to do some piking tomorrow, then go dino hunting on Sunday.

gramps73
07-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Where did you find that little guy?
nice fish

Christofficer
07-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Nice fish dude, gotta love those mooneye. I love that name for some reason.

WayneChristie
07-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Where did you find that little guy?
nice fish

snake? I seem to find one every time I hit the river this year, not far from the forks

TyreeUM
07-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Mooneye just a crescent of gold above the eye, other than that they look pretty much the same. They sure hit a worm hard!

the best way to tell the difference is in the location of the dorsal fin...I wouldn't use the crescent as a standard.

man i love your pictures of the snakes...i run into those on the south sask right at the border and have yet to have one strike at me, but I also hardly hear them rattle unless they are trying to get away.

Fishfinder
07-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Nice pics Wayne. U sure seem to stumble upon alot of snakes my friend. Hope your not running around barefoot out there!:eek:
Good luck pike slayin' tomorrow (not that ya need it)! Hope u find some pigs!! Man o man I'm going through SERIOUS fishing withdrawal I tell ya:sad0125:
Cheers!

WayneChristie
07-16-2011, 06:13 AM

the best way to tell the difference is in the location of the dorsal fin...I wouldn't use the crescent as a standard.

man i love your pictures of the snakes...i run into those on the south sask right at the border and have yet to have one strike at me, but I also hardly hear them rattle unless they are trying to get away.

whats the difference in the dorsal? Im rather new to fishing goldeye waters, so Im still learning every trip. only had one rattler strike at me so far, that Ive seen, Im not a huge fan of overgrown paths, but they arent keeping me from my fishing :sHa_shakeshout:

TyreeUM
07-16-2011, 10:17 AM
whats the difference in the dorsal? Im rather new to fishing goldeye waters, so Im still learning every trip. only had one rattler strike at me so far, that Ive seen, Im not a huge fan of overgrown paths, but they arent keeping me from my fishing :sHa_shakeshout:

It's all good, if you look at the dorsal fin of a mooneye and a goldeye, the dorsal of the goldeye always starts at the same point the anal fin starts or further behind. The mooneye always has a dorsal that starts before the starting point of the anal fin. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

I have always wondered how strong their venom is but I know when they bite it is typically a false strike with no venom. Awesome pics though.

WayneChristie
07-16-2011, 08:36 PM
It's all good, if you look at the dorsal fin of a mooneye and a goldeye, the dorsal of the goldeye always starts at the same point the anal fin starts or further behind. The mooneye always has a dorsal that starts before the starting point of the anal fin. Let me know if this doesn't make sense.

I have always wondered how strong their venom is but I know when they bite it is typically a false strike with no venom. Awesome pics though.

I will take your word for the snakes, if you get bit let us know how it turns out :sHa_sarcasticlol: the fins make sense, I dont keep them anyways so the eyes are good enough for me, easy to see, and they both fight the same. kinda sucks on a sturgeon rig, the fight is less than intense, but the bite is pretty awesome for little fish! light gear or a fly rod is the way to go for the eyes, but Id rather have a chance at a 100 pound plus fish, especially since its less than a half hour from home, gotta love it! :sHa_shakeshout:

Dust1n
07-16-2011, 08:42 PM

not likly youd be struck by one of those parie rattlers...diamond backs are pretty scary though.in almost stepped on a rattle down in the usa and didnt eveen rattle or strike. it was a parie rattler

skmastercaster
07-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Is this a decent goldeye?

http://m990.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/juniormudder/image-1.jpg.html?&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2YIiAdW%2BX175c0jXogA 6yBWpsZcn3ZcxEPHmboGw1KXWQA2co8hDDVr5dP%2F5yvsFPV9 I6b4IkRWrABScTLchl1dWjAY7PIib%2FMbOPw%2B8%2F0GuMHt p30dJGtZ98PCnSIuaXqL1KcFIklSOAmwQmgt37oE%3D

NSRfishing
07-24-2011, 02:58 AM

http://m990.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/juniormudder/image-1.jpg.html?&pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2YIiAdW%2BX175c0jXogA 6yBWpsZcn3ZcxEPHmboGw1KXWQA2co8hDDVr5dP%2F5yvsFPV9 I6b4IkRWrABScTLchl1dWjAY7PIib%2FMbOPw%2B8%2F0GuMHt p30dJGtZ98PCnSIuaXqL1KcFIklSOAmwQmgt37oE%3D

looks like a big goldeye very nice

WayneChristie
07-24-2011, 07:34 AM

welcome to the forum, and that is a very decent sized goldeye, they dont get huge but they sure are viscious, got bit while I was unhooking one yesterday and it hurts maybe its a good thing they dont get huge!

WillyOneStyle
07-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I have a friend in Blackfalds who smokes Goldeye in a converted BBQ. it was very good the time I tried it.

skmastercaster
07-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys. One of the locals said it was the biggest he's seen. It was my first goldeye too.

Fishfinder
07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
welcome to the forum, and that is a very decent sized goldeye, they dont get huge but they sure are viscious, got bit while I was unhooking one yesterday and it hurts maybe its a good thing they dont get huge!

Haha, that happened to me last year too. Released her in the water, she swam about 2 feet and while I was rinsing my hand it turned 180 and took a nip at my fingertip lol. They got attitude for sure, hence the great little fight they put up when hooked.

Cheers all!

Fishfinder
07-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys. One of the locals said it was the biggest he's seen. It was my first goldeye too.

No doubt! I've caught a few 17 n 18"ers but none nearly that fat! Awesome first goldy!
Congrats and Welcome to the forum!:wave: