PDA

View Full Version : I wanna take my 7 year old canoeing. Suggestions??

Trey
07-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I got my little girl for the summer and I wanna take her out in my canoe, but I don't know where to go. I'm in Calgary and willing to drive. Anybody know of a good place?

Kokanee9
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Why not just go down the river here in town?

I can give you a hand on any evening from about 4 in the aft onwards. Im not far from the river, leave your stuff here and drop off your vehicle at the end. I can then help getting your canoe to the water. Float down to your vehicle.

An alternative could be riverbend pond.

commieboy
07-17-2011, 12:14 AM
I got my little girl for the summer and I wanna take her out in my canoe, but I don't know where to go. I'm in Calgary and willing to drive. Anybody know of a good place?

You could do Glenmore Reservoir.... nice place on a calm day.

If you want a bit more scenery, try Grotto Mountain Pond near Canmore, or Sibbald Lake/Sibbald Meadows Pond. Mount Lorette Ponds has a dock and it's really pretty out there.

Dewitt's is small and a bit stinky, but close to town (Airdrie).

Allen Bill pond is near Elbow Falls and close to that is Mclean pond and Forget-Me-Not pond. Forget-Me-Not is super clear and very picturesque, but always really windy.

Maybe Carnurn Park?

Most of these are very small little ponds, but still room enough for canoeing without interfering with the fisherman (except some of the really cranky, territorial ones might tell you off).

I hope the two of you have some fun out there!

Jimboy
07-17-2011, 03:52 AM
taking a 7 year old in a canoe , make sure she can swim:thinking-006:

Kokanee9
07-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Commieboy had it right in his post. I put down riverbend pond and I meant to put down Carburn Park as an alternative.

bloopbloob
07-17-2011, 09:39 AM
I second glenmore reservoir! Right in town. I'd say perfect for your needs. No powerboats there to cause unexpected waves, never too far from shore, good fishing, plus a dedicated rescue boat that cruises out there all day if anything goes wrong ( Calgary weather).

I'd also like to add I'd never take a 7yr old down the Bow, It'd probably be fine, but why take that risk... I'd stick to non-flowing waters

jungleboy
07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
taking a 7 year old in a canoe , make sure she can swim:thinking-006:

took my son down the NSR from Nordegg to Rocky moutain house from the time he was 8 yrs old .That was our family vacation every yr for many years. Get good quality safety gear and and a stable canoe ( we had Colemans ) and have fun.

Cal
07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Why not just go down the river here in town?

I can give you a hand on any evening from about 4 in the aft onwards. Im not far from the river, leave your stuff here and drop off your vehicle at the end. I can then help getting your canoe to the water. Float down to your vehicle.

An alternative could be riverbend pond.

I like this idea best, despite what some people think rivers are often far safer than lakes. The wind doesnt kick up big waves and even if its against you the current will help out. Just stay out of the sweepers and you guys should have a ball, on a river it is pretty easy to stick close to shore if your daughter is not a strong swimmer.

I take my 18 month daughter out on Lesser Slave Lake in a canoe on a regular basis, just use caution and comon sense and there is little risk.

ironbadger
07-17-2011, 08:16 PM
I also think its a great idea. I have been taking my boys out since they were younger than that as well.
I would recommend you look into Bow Waters Canoe club in Calgary. Good people with lots of good, local and timely advice. They have short courses as well and many canoes available. I am a big fan.
The bow is a nice trip in the canoe if you are a confident canoeist. There are some swift spots and the occasional strainer/sweeper to contend with but if you can read a river it is easy to navigate.
The flatwater spots mentioned above are great as well. If you are not a very confident canoeist I would stay with that and the kids will have a ball.
I would recommend putting in on the south side of the reservoir though (by the sailing school). The winds on the northwest shore by the canoe club can be a bummer sometimes. Also be careful as you get close to Weaselhead-- the water is very shallow and weedy.
Let me know if you want a some company.