PDA

View Full Version : Elk river fly fishing

Cszentes
07-17-2011, 12:13 AM
any one been out to the elk lately? Is the fishing getting good(river coming down?) going for a week and any info would help, hatches etc.....

Kingfisher
07-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Here is a link to a post that I put up about this exact time last year. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=63803&highlight=river

All the rivers, streams and lakes are higher than last season. The high snow pack this year and weather has put everything behind by about 2 to 3 weeks from normal. So the Elk will be higher than normal. But it should be very fishable right now.

As for flies at this time of year I would use a chernoble ant, parachute black ant, green drakes, fire ants, foam body caddis, and elk hair caddis. If your nymphing then I would use a prince nymph, stonefly, and caddis imitations.

A 5wt rod is all you need. But a 6wt will give you some more back bone. If your thinking of targeting the bulls then I would use an 8wt. They can be brutes in that river. If your going after the bulls then use large 3" or 4" barbell eye'd double bunnies or large streamers.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Rob

duffy4
07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Which "elk river" are you talking about?

Cszentes
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
BC around Fernie.

tacklerunner
07-19-2011, 03:52 PM
What Kingfisher Rob said!!! I'll just add the Evil Weavil nymph and the Paradrake version of the green drake.