PDA

View Full Version : Snap Swivels?

trapshooter
07-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Do you guys use snap swivels when fishing with spinners and cranks? Do they lower the success rate or does it make no differance? Thanks

chubbdarter
07-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Do you guys use snap swivels when fishing with spinners and cranks? Do they lower the success rate or does it make no differance? Thanks

I use Crank snaps, easier than a rapala knot with my poor eyes and the action in even better imo.

Just dont use cheap termnal gear...especially those cheap brass swivels

NSRfishing
07-18-2011, 12:23 AM
i use them because i change lures all the time i dont think it effect my catch rate

krachynski
07-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Like NSRfishing, that's the first thing I put on any line because I know I'll be changing lures regularly. Never once thought about whether it would affect my catch rate, mostly because I'm chucking gear that more than distracts from a little snap swivel.

Dust1n
07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
crankbait swivals are awsome. i use them to change lures faster then tying knots. IMO it dont effect the catch rates mabe for trout but thats it

Rick.
07-18-2011, 01:04 PM
I have to ask, what is a crankbait swivel? How are they different than a snap swivel? Rick.

chubbdarter
07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I have to ask, what is a crankbait swivel? How are they different than a snap swivel? Rick.

actually not a swivel......its a fast snap

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/catalog.aspx?catid=lindyfishingcrankbaits

jeprli
07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Duo lock snaps, without the swivel, easy to change lures and knot holds much better than tying directly to crankbait.

BTW I never understood why people tie their line to the split ring on crankbaits????? Any bigger or stronger running fish is going to break it easily. I'm even more amazed when i see fishing celebrities and tv shows who advertise it as a correct way of attaching lures to the line. Wonder why?:thinking-006:

Some of my favorite lock snaps come from Owner, fastech, and berkley, mustad. Try and avoid buying the cheapest, because that's what you'll get.

#00 size duo lock is good for trout as well as those tiny clips some people use for streamers.

If you can get a hold of some dentist wire, round nose pliers and some spare time you could make snaps that will be of excellent quality and outlast anything available at local stores.

Braun
07-18-2011, 01:47 PM
The nice thing about the fast snaps is that if you do want to use one with a swivel, you can undo the back side of the fast snap and throw a quality swivel on there. Rather than carrying swivels, snaps, and snaps with swivels.

NSRfishing
07-18-2011, 02:39 PM
i carry side cutters most time i just cut the swivel off

Braun
07-18-2011, 02:41 PM
i carry side cutters most time i just cut the swivel off

why not just buy the snaps without the swivel?

NSRfishing
07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
canadian tire and walmart only carry snap swivels fishing hole to far to walk for snaps and i dont drive yet lol

chubbdarter
07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Duo lock snaps, without the swivel, easy to change lures and knot holds much better than tying directly to crankbait.

BTW I never understood why people tie their line to the split ring on crankbaits????? Any bigger or stronger running fish is going to break it easily. I'm even more amazed when i see fishing celebrities and tv shows who advertise it as a correct way of attaching lures to the line. Wonder why?:thinking-006:

Some of my favorite lock snaps come from Owner, fastech, and berkley, mustad. Try and avoid buying the cheapest, because that's what you'll get.

#00 size duo lock is good for trout as well as those tiny clips some people use for streamers.

If you can get a hold of some dentist wire, round nose pliers and some spare time you could make snaps that will be of excellent quality and outlast anything available at local stores.

Alot of cranks do run better off a splitring. always tie in at the single wire point of the splitring with a improve clinch knot when using the split ring