PDA

View Full Version : Vetch Creek

Raptor
07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Has anyone fished down in the Vetch Creek area this year or creek and streams around RMH? Heading out for a week Monday and looking to do some fishing and any help would be appreciated.

Raptor
07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Comon guys. Someone has to have fished the creeks etc. out by Rocky.

packhuntr
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
been about 7 or 8 years since ive fished her. Tighten your laces and giver, youll find em sooner or later I would think.

jebber6
07-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Lots of little brookies (less than eight inches) in there and the odd brown. Access is easy as the road follows a lot of it.

GaryF
07-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Just spent a week up there, nothing rising yet, and everything is pretty brown and high. Gave up and went to the lakes around there instead. Going to go back in mid august, hopefully things have picked up around there.

Rancher_49
07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
When I was a kid about 45 years ago we called this creek "Jim Creek". Why I don't know. But in those days one had to hike to it and once or twice we took a friend of my dad's landrover and winched to get there. We set up a tent & camped.
In those days we ate all we caught and the brookies were pretty big. Anything
under 14" we turned loose, that is of course if it would survive. We caught a few around 4 lbs. But in those days it didn't matter where we went the stream fishing was out of this world. I usec to ride my horse into the water at some creeks till it was up to his chest and fish out of the saddle.
Now I have only a few honey holes that I fly fish but I can't eat them anymore
and I love pan fried trout.
In this day and age it doesn't matter where you go there is an oil road right to the creek banks and on the weekend there is 40-50 travel trailers.
I sure miss the old days. If you catrch anything over 8" I would be surprised but have fun anyway.

ol'fox
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
I too grew up hunting and fishing that country,X2 on " missing the old days"

buddybuckhunter
07-19-2011, 09:15 PM
used to fish it years ago, was pretty good but with the heavy rains today and yesterday the creeks around rocky will be dirty and no good fishing, i wouldnt waste my time.

Raptor
07-30-2011, 08:34 PM
In this day and age it doesn't matter where you go there is an oil road right to the creek banks and on the weekend there is 40-50 travel trailers.
I sure miss the old days. If you catrch anything over 8" I would be surprised but have fun anyway.[/QUOTE]

Yep you are correct. Just got back and was very disappointed in the Vetch Creek. Not even a bite. Nothing against quads, but they have the stream criss crossed and so chewed up, I can't blame the fishh for leaving.
9 years ago, it was great in there. Came across empty campsights where garbage was just left. :angry3: Had to do some cleaning. Picked up 39 beer cans, paper plates, a couple of broken lanterns, etc. Where is the respect for the land gone? I won't go back there.

So I went to Shundra with my son, and had a great time. Never caught anything that was legal, but had a great time and every hole had fish in it, although some of the Brookies were very small. Most were around the 7 - 9 inch mark. I've been stream fishing for over 45 years and every time I go, whether you catch a keeper or not, its just the fun of walking through the streams and crawling over the log jams. Nothing like it.:acigar: