PDA

View Full Version : Minnewanka, Two Jack and Johnson

IanL
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Anyone have any idea how these are fishing, and whether it is best using fly or spin / boat or shore?

Any other recommendations for Banff National Park would be appreciated - I was up at Smith Lake and they weren't taking lures at all (compared to previous trips when we've caught decent sized cutthroats)

thanks in advance

Dust1n
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Anyone have any idea how these are fishing, and whether it is best using fly or spin / boat or shore?

Any other recommendations for Banff National Park would be appreciated - I was up at Smith Lake and they weren't taking lures at all (compared to previous trips when we've caught decent sized cutthroats)

thanks in advance

about 2 months ago or so i was at 2 jack and johnson. 2 jack was pretty hard fishing. but if u bring a boat(dingy) your good across the campground area.
use big streamers there in olive blackish.

Johnson is amazing! good brookies fishing and supposilvy massive rainbows. you dont need a watercraft to fish it and i do well from shore. if you see a logjam fish it with a 2-3inch marabu leech. the brookies arnt any bigger then 10inch though and the average size is 7-9inches. they love to eat big stuff there. the dry fly fishing is pretty good too. not many rising but the ones that do are gulable. the lake is realy clear and you can see to the bottom in the middle from shroe. although sightfishing for them is hard.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Banff/IMG_0029.jpg

Fish the lake with leeches, adams. the only patterns you need.on floating line.

PS. theres a creek that runs out of the lake and another creek joins onto that one the trib of the trib has some big fat brookies in there but good luck casting. just under the bridge the logjams always have bigger brookies.

EZM
07-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Minnewanka is tough but can be rewarding. You definitely need a boat (you can rent one at the marina).

Troll to locate (use a downrigger or dipsy with a silver spoon or 4' rapala). Depth will be indicated by the fish you see on the finder.

THEN ...... anchor and jig to finish them. Big Lakers on a 2oz white bucktail off bottom.

Lakers can reach 40lb in there so have a stout rod and good line.

BeeGuy
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Hey, I'm looking to get out on Minnewanka if anyone wants to split a rental sometime.

I've only fished from shore so I can't guide at all, but know how to catch lakers if we can find them.

Just PM me!