PDA

View Full Version : nsr today

steveo955
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
fished two spots on the nsr today. by the genesse bridge and by the devon bridge. not even a sucker. wrong spots? doing something wrong? wish i had my fly rod because somrthing was taking stuff of the top water. anyway, im trying to get my sister into some fish(preferably sturgeon) but anything would do out of the river. any tips would be great, baits, type of water to be in(location would be great, but probably pushing it) anything would help. thanks in advance

Thundercatcher
07-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I was at the Devon bridge as well today. No luck at all!

maclennanchris
07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Hermatige dog park is a good spot, or Goldbar is another. P-rig and some dew worms should get you something....good luck

steveo955
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
thanks guys. is this water condition decent to fish for sturgeon, or is it better once it clears up?

troutmountain
07-19-2011, 10:48 PM
between 3 of us we caught 29 sturgeon about a dozon different kind of suckers and 2 goldeye in 8 hours on the nsr yesterday. we fished 3 deep back eddies 9sandy bottom) that had depths of 10-20 feet deep using a slip sinker rig and a gob of worms. dirty water is better than clear. you have to remember that right now the average depth of the river is 6-8 feet and when it is low and clear it is 4-6feet deep so look for areas that have some depth.

Thundercatcher
07-19-2011, 10:52 PM
where abouts? and from shore?

BGSH
07-19-2011, 11:00 PM
29 sturgeon in 8 hours, ya right lol

pickrel pat
07-20-2011, 03:39 AM
between 3 of us we caught 29 sturgeon about a dozon different kind of suckers and 2 goldeye in 8 hours on the nsr yesterday. we fished 3 deep back eddies 9sandy bottom) that had depths of 10-20 feet deep using a slip sinker rig and a gob of worms. dirty water is better than clear. you have to remember that right now the average depth of the river is 6-8 feet and when it is low and clear it is 4-6feet deep so look for areas that have some depth.cool.... didnt know we had 12 differant specie of suckers in the nsr.....i beleive that you beleive you caught 12 types of suckers that day.....:scared0018:

Geezle
07-20-2011, 08:00 AM
fished two spots on the nsr today. by the genesse bridge and by the devon bridge. not even a sucker. wrong spots? doing something wrong? wish i had my fly rod because somrthing was taking stuff of the top water. anyway, im trying to get my sister into some fish(preferably sturgeon) but anything would do out of the river. any tips would be great, baits, type of water to be in(location would be great, but probably pushing it) anything would help. thanks in advance

Could have just been the day you were out...they can't all be winners after all :o

I've never been down to the Genesee Bridge area, but I've come across a few people in my travels who have told me that the area is producing.

I don't know about Devon now...I haven't fished down there for a couple years now, but I do know that there is no point fishing downstream of the bridge (on the boat launch side) unless you go waaaaaay down. By the bridge itself might be okay.

Where I've been fishing, the majority of what's been caught has been suckers - though people say that if you're getting suckers you're in the right area for sturgeon.

If you want to get into walleye/pike you're best off finding somewhere where there's feeder stream coming into the river where there's a little clearer water.

NSRfishing
07-20-2011, 08:06 AM
20 foot is a deep hole for the nsr around edmonton deepest i have found is 12

alot of my favorite holes are filled in after mountain runoff. i have found some new holes only finding suckers some reason dont know where the walleye are

steveo955
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM
what size hooks? we were using 6/0 hooks that i use for salmon fishing in kitimat. 3 way swivel with a 5oz weight and 3 foot leader. seem reasonable?

Geezle
07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
what size hooks? we were using 6/0 hooks that i use for salmon fishing in kitimat. 3 way swivel with a 5oz weight and 3 foot leader. seem reasonable?

I haven't used anything larger than a 1/0 hook at all this season...most have been in the size 1-2 range. With a hook that size you're ruling a lot of fish out that will either just avoid the huge hook, or steal your bait off of it.

troutmountain
07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
here are some of the pictures from the trip.

troutmountain
07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
some more pictures

Lefty-Canuck
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Very cool pics! thanks for sharing. You must be a part of the sturgeon tagging program?

LC

troutmountain
07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
a few more pictures

chubbdarter
07-22-2011, 06:45 PM
innocent question.....are you doing studies on the sturgeon(live well picture)

troutmountain
07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Hats off to Shane Hansen who runs a guided fishing outfit in a little ghost town called Heinsburg. He took the three of us out for 8 hours and within 5 minutes at each location we had a sturgeon. We assisted him in his tagging of them. After about 20 we ran out of tags. We recaptured one that he had tagged about a week prior. All the others had not been tagged. Maybe the population is larger than SRD thinks? Lots of small ones of different sizes showing good recruitment. None of us had ever caught one before. The slip sinker rigs that Shane used were great as all but one sucker was released withoout bleeding. None of the sturgeon bled not even the 2 goldeye bled (and they have small mouths) The Shimano rods that he used were good because you could detect a very light bite but yet had the backbone to yard in the 22 pounder with ease not playing it out. I would recommend Shane Hansen at 17808264261. It was $750+GST, no lunch byobeer but it was well worth the 2.5 hr drive to Heinsburg to learn more about this interesting species and the technique etc. to successfully release all of them. He also has a web site
www.northsaskatchewanriverguide.com.
Thanks again Shane I'll be back next year.

Lefty-Canuck
07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
What were you guys using as bait? worms or minnows? Still have yet to catch my first sturgeon!

LC

chubbdarter
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Hats off to Shane Hansen who runs a guided fishing outfit in a little ghost town called Heinsburg. He took the three of us out for 8 hours and within 5 minutes at each location we had a sturgeon. We assisted him in his tagging of them. After about 20 we ran out of tags. We recaptured one that he had tagged about a week prior. All the others had not been tagged. Maybe the population is larger than SRD thinks? Lots of small ones of different sizes showing good recruitment. None of us had ever caught one before. The slip sinker rigs that Shane used were great as all but one sucker was released withoout bleeding. None of the sturgeon bled not even the 2 goldeye bled (and they have small mouths) The Shimano rods that he used were good because you could detect a very light bite but yet had the backbone to yard in the 22 pounder with ease not playing it out. I would recommend Shane Hansen at 17808264261. It was $750+GST, no lunch byobeer but it was well worth the 2.5 hr drive to Heinsburg to learn more about this interesting species and the technique etc. to successfully release all of them. He also has a web site
www.northsaskatchewanriverguide.com.
Thanks again Shane I'll be back next year.

very cool....great pics thanks for sharing

NSRfishing
07-22-2011, 11:17 PM
New in 2011 North Saskatchewan River Guide has relocated to Heinsburg. The North Saskatchewan River will see changes to fishing regulations in the fall of 2011.

http://www.northsaskatchewanriverguide.com/

interesting

troutmountain
07-23-2011, 09:56 PM
we were using worms