PDA

View Full Version : Lund 1725 Explorer VS Crestliner 1700 Superhawk

Remi3006
07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Looking at buying a new boat. 75% fishing 25% fun...

Whats your thoughts?

Overdrawn
07-19-2011, 10:46 PM

Whats your thoughts?

Its all fun. Go with the Lund the hull is braced much better than a Crestliner. And Lund warrenty is best in the bussness. I had Crestlner and the transom crack out on me and they wouldn't cover it under warrenty. My Dad has a Lund that is 12 years old and when he has issues with it they have never once argued with him on warrenty. Just look at the weight of the hull that will tell you how much materail is in it. And Lund has there famous ride. My Crestliner's Hull flexed somthing feirce. But it was a 18' Tiller control with a 90 Suzuki 4strk. Built very light. Actualy it was dangerous. All the wieght was at the back and none at the front. But that was my fault not Crestliners. The salesman warned me about putting that motor on it. For the simple reason the boat was designed to have consoles and the weight was to be mid point when running on the water and not at the rear. The boat would actually hop right out of the water with no warning. Turned me ghost white a couple times. It was only rated Max Hp of 80 with a 90hp on it. I pushed it passed it limits. and it failed. Crestliner claimed I hit an underwater obstruction and said that the boats transom would take the hp if that matters. In the end it wasn't braced well enough from factory.

freeones
07-20-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't know about the ride in the Lund, but from experience I can tell you that the Crestliner is going to be rough, and WET.

Overdrawn
07-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I thought Lund braggs about there ride. Sylvan makes a real nice 17' boat. I think I would choose it over a Lund or a Crestliner. If I was going to spend that much on a boat.

gramps73
07-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I am not sure about any body else but i would go with the Crestliner hands down..You are going to find pros and cons in both boats but IMO the Crestliner handles well in big water and with the 17 degree hull you will not find a smoother ride...
Keep in mind they are both built in the same plant...

Teamprotz
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Compare prices , both are good , but one will be more ! You decide which. I'm a glass fan.

freeones
07-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I am not sure about any body else but i would go with the Crestliner hands down..You are going to find pros and cons in both boats but IMO the Crestliner handles well in big water and with the 17 degree hull you will not find a smoother ride...
Keep in mind they are both built in the same plant...

Owned by the same parent company yes, but built in the same plant? Are you sure about that?

The Superhawk with the increased deadrise should be a better ride than the 1700 Fishhawk I have experience in. I really didn't like fishing in that boat.

chubbdarter
07-20-2011, 03:00 PM
I much prefer the performance of a Lund over a Crestliner for control in high winds when fishing. IMO nothing squats in the water like a Lund, for a tinner it just holds its line better.

jeffrey929
07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Probably can't go wrong with either other than the price... I own a 1700 Superhawk and have loved it from day 1.... But I am sure i would feel the same way if i owned a Lund...

Remi3006
07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks guys!

Overdrawn
07-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys!

Enjoy there all good, with exception to Legend stay far away from them.

Grand Slam
07-20-2011, 10:48 PM
If you don't mind me asking what's wrong with Legend boats?

nicemustang
07-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Another vote for crestliner.

JimmerAB
07-20-2011, 11:51 PM
I own a 1700 Superhawk that I bought new in 2000. I still love it as much as the day I drove it home from the dealership. But I have also spent a lot of tournament days fishing out of a Lund, and like jeffrey929, am sure I would love owning a Lund just as much as my Crestliner. I really don't see a lot of down side in either choice Remi!

Jim

Tuco
07-21-2011, 12:28 AM

Whats your thoughts?

Because you want mainly fishing with some fun I would say the Crestliner is the better bet for you....

We bought a 1700 Superhawk two years ago and really love it. I did a lot of research on boats (about 6 months worth) before I bought one and every blog, site, form ect... said Lund or Crestliner. Two things made me chose Crestliner:

1. Welded haul vs riveted - I found that if you ask someone who own's a Lund they will tell you riveted is best and if you ask a Crestliner owner they would say welded. I asked a boat builder out of Vancouver and they said welded will hold up the best over time. Crestliner has a life time warranty on hull.

2. Price for what you get - I had a deposit on a Lund then found my Crestliner. The lund was about 2K more expensive and only had a 90 merc where the Crestliner had a 115 merc. The seats were better in the crestliner and the crestliner had more other options for thing to do besides fishing....tow hooks, front cooler, front seating (I am like you 75% fishing 25% other).

The Lund is an outstanding boat, however so is the Crestliner and you get more for your $.

Jiffy10
07-21-2011, 07:51 AM
They're all good boats !!! no offense to anyone on the forum but
if these boats weren't tried and true then they wouldnt be selling them.
There isnt anyone that's had enough time in the water on all the models
to tell you any issues worth worrying about. That being said.... everyone
has a story and an opinion. Warrentys are all generally the same within
a few details here and there. Rivited Vs Welded. If it doesnt leak then
it really doesnt matter. Most of us will never have an issue with the Hull.
Legend has the thickest in the industry and that might be good if you hit
a rock at 40 mph but you got all kind of issues if that happens.
Here' the bottom line. If your like most of us in Alberta. You hit the
water about 6 to 10 times on average in a year. You can fish out of
any boat with success depending on 100 different issues. One of them
is usually not what brand of boat your in. Most of us, including myself dont
like the water to rough and would rather stay home if there are whitecaps.
So ... dont over analyse things to much. There are alot of good used
boats available with very little hours on them. The warrentys are
transferable and if you hunt around.... there are good deals out there.
Look where the boats are ! Manitoba / Ont. where they are plentyfull.
It took me 2 yrs. and I finally found one with 31 hrs on it in Ontario.
Paid $8,000 less than a new one and I'm happy with it.
So ... happy hunting.

Good luck with your purchase .... new or used......
See you on the water....