PDA

View Full Version : Flies for goldeye

YeeHaw
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I am fairly new to fly fishing, and would love to fish goldeye with my flyrod, due to there fight, But the problem is I dont know what would be good for them, or what presentation would be good for them. I was thinking the north side of the Quinell bridge, any ideas or tips?

Lefty-Canuck
07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Floating terrestrials should work...chernobyl anythings...I have heard guys will take a foam earplug, cut it in half lengthwise and put it on a hook....they will take anything....

LC

italk2u
07-19-2011, 09:09 PM
elk hair caddis, stimulators, mayflies..they all work well, but it may be a little early for them as the rivers are high and fast and it seems like evrything has been behind schedule this year.

Dust1n
07-19-2011, 09:15 PM
I am fairly new to fly fishing, and would love to fish goldeye with my flyrod, due to there fight, But the problem is I dont know what would be good for them, or what presentation would be good for them. I was thinking the north side of the Quinell bridge, any ideas or tips?

if your fishing in early morning try a brown drake about 1 inches long(yes they get that big iv seen them). and a golden stone dry as big as your can find them. Black and orange is my favorite colors for them but yellow,red,brown, works too.

Wooly buggers are a sure deal for them. down and across is the way to fish it. letting out one more foot of line every 2-3 swings same goes with a brown SJW.

the slower current is where you wanna be fishing.and along the seems.

jaystev
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Ive caught them a few times downstream of the dawson bridge using streamers , they seem to hang out next to the stronger currant. Definetly fun on an 8 weight.

YeeHaw
07-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Right on guy's, thanks alot for the info. Tight lines to ya.

lyons6
07-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I used pistol petes on the old man river last year and they worked awesome. But by the sounds of things a lot of things do!

Doc
07-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I blogged about about Goldeye on the fly a few years ago. You can check it out here. Goldeye On The Fly Part 2 (http://docshouseofblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/goldeye-on-fly-part-2.html)