PDA

View Full Version : Rock lake Trolling Fly

opto55
07-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I need help on what flies to use, leader length and trolling speed for Rock lake on the Aug. long weekend? All suggestions welcome.

Dust1n
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I need help on what flies to use, leader length and trolling speed for Rock lake on the Aug. long weekend? All suggestions welcome.

i havent fished it myself. but the flies you can go wrong on is a BH pheasent tail nymph,Leech and a Adams. with these patterns you can fish to rising fish,or subserface fish.
double scuds work too and do not troll fast. troll about as fast as you would see a leech swim

huntin'fool
07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
which rock lake?

opto55
07-25-2011, 08:26 AM
North of Hinton , need suggestions.

pipco
07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
We had some success with larger ( #6-8) bead head crystal buggers and woolly buggers. Black, olive green and maroon worked the best for us on a sink tip line. Slooooow trolling speed ( we were rowing) to keep the fly down.There can also be caddis hatches on the lake and if you happen to be at the right place at the right time you'll see them rising. Throw on a stimulator or an EHC and floating line.
Check your regs, be patient, have fun and be safe.

Trout Addict
07-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I fished it last year and I trolled a black leech on a full sink line with about a 8 foot leader. I would suggest a thicker flourocarbon or steel leader as their are some big dirty pike in there as well the lakers. If you have a fish finder it's bonus as there are a lot of empty spaces with no structure or weeds in that lake. Once you find the shoals I just kept trolling back and forth and nailed beautiful 20' lakers all day! I believe it was about 15-20' of water i was in.
Great lake, enjoy the wind!

outwalking
07-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Jealous! We were there this past weekend and only fished about an hour and a half.

I have no specific fishing advice for you, but..the launch at Windy Bay is sort of messed up, it looks like the last cement block that makes up the ramp has been tossed up onto it. We backed in right beside it and it was pretty shallow. It was also very, very windy.

The road going in was pretty good too, but beware of a big rut in the road closer to the campground, it's marked with some orange ribbon in the shrubs beside the road...we hit it pretty hard ("I wonder why they put these ribbons in the trees?") and snapped a ratchet strap and broke all the eggs in the cooler, lol.

A grader also went through on Sunday (yesterday) and tossed up a bunch of huge rocks, don't hit those either, thank goodness we have full skid plates on the truck...!

They're also doing a bunch of road work on Hwy 40, and it's a 50 kph zone alot of the way.

Nothing to do with flyfishing, I know :)

Have fun! Don't forget the life jackets, that water is absolutely numbing.

Ah, double jealous. Pictures are mandatory!!

Albertafisher
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
You need 14 foot leader at least (use flouro because there are pike too). Try trolling larger streamers at a deeper depth, within 30-40 feet of shore. Good luck!

opto55
07-26-2011, 08:37 AM
bump

greylynx
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM
A size 6 to 8 3x long wooly bugger.

There is huge stick caddis hatch in the area at this time of the year.

Also the little pale morning duns hatch at this time of year in that area.

NSRfishing
07-26-2011, 04:30 PM
i remember reading about allot of snags just under the surface of this lake be carefull i think it is the same rock lake

mosbos
07-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Did well on a couple of outings last year trolling deer hair gomphus bugs and Umqua gummy minnows on an intermediate sink line. Was using a pontoon boat and was rowing at a very slow troll. Stuck to the edges of the weedlines and had a great time. nothing big but lots of action.

-CLM-
08-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey Shooters Optometrist,

How did you make out at Rock Lake this past weekend. I was out there as well for 4 days. Fishing was great! Nothing big but lots of fish. Once the wind died down after 9:00pm the dry fly fishing was amazing!

Cant wait to go back!

opto55
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
We caught 4 in 4 hours, all lakers, best success black and olive. I love the lake but when the wind comes it is hard to fish and control the boat. I will go back but will be there before 8:00am and fish till noon. Tons of fish on the sounder especially along the edge of weed beds. Any other suggestions for flies to use?

tacklerunner
08-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Bunny leeches, Doc Spratley for trolling. When it's windy, you can practically drift. It will be enough speed to give your fly a slow swiming action. Usually I go no more than speed 1 or 2 if against the wind with a 30 - 50 lb thrust electric motor.

By far the best fly line is a clear or clear camo full intermediate sink. I use Cortland Precision Sub Surface WF Stillwater Clear Camo which sinks 1.25 - 1.75 inches per second. That way you can stay in the top 5 FOW if you want or add a bit of shot to get down further and have control of the water column you want to be in.

opto55
08-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I need some new fly line anyways so will pick some up and give it a try. Thank you for the tips on line and patterns.

Nickote316
08-04-2011, 01:14 PM
You going to be there this weekend? I'll be out there on my 10 foot inflatable...hopefully the wind will be nice lol

opto55
08-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Not this weedend, I have to work. My next trip will be in late august.

tacklerunner
08-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Forgot to add a Carey's Special as another fly to try

greylynx
08-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Right on tackle runner.

A Carey special with an orange body starts to works good for the rest of the season. The guys fishing Pierre Greys are starting to use them now.