PDA

View Full Version : GPS for fishing?

BTK
07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Looking to buy a GPS for fishing. What I want is something that I can order and download applications for certain lakes. Anyone point me in the right drection?

35 whelen
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Garmin

Scott N
07-22-2011, 04:56 PM
X2 on Garmin. They have many models that would suite your needs, depending on how much you want to spend.

Flyfisher87
07-23-2011, 12:40 PM
I just bought a new Garmin Dakota last weekend. I absolutely love it!!! Very user friendly. This is the second Garmin I have owned. My etrex legend bit the dust ( I was a little rough on it). You will not be disappointed with a make like Garmin.

AB RANGER 007
07-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Looking to buy a GPS for fishing. What I want is something that I can order and download applications for certain lakes. Anyone point me in the right drection?

Hi. BTK, :thinking-006: The Garmin model 76 CSX would fit you needs, it accepts preprogammed Micro Sd Cards, Canada Inland Lakes, "Alberta" Version $79.95 and all the rest of TOPO MAPS, City, for Garmin MapSource.
And it is Waterproof and Floats. GPS Central in Calgary have them in stock, at $259.95.

Bruce.

briangeorge
07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I don't know the cost as I got it for a gift but it is awesome. It is a Hummingbird Model 788C combination fish finder and GPS. It was a bit of a job to install but it works great. Large color screen which is easy to see on bright sunny days. It has an external GPS antennae that I mounted in front of boat windshield. It works great for way pointing hotspots and also if you are trolling and getting fish you can zoom in and follow back over the same route. Last year I used my Garmin Nuvi 355 and it worked OK but I love this rigging way better. You can research it on Hummingbird Website.
briangeorge

Kim473
07-24-2011, 06:36 AM
I would get a portable like the dakota as you may want to use it ice fishing also.

Flyfisher87
07-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I would get a portable like the dakota as you may want to use it ice fishing also.

As Kim said, the dakota will be great for ice fishing. After I posted on this thread yesterday, I did a little research. I have the dakota 10. There is a dakota 20 as well. The only difference I can tell is the 20 has an SD slot. It will costs a little bit more however.