PDA

View Full Version : 1 Man Pontoon Boat's ??

Springer
07-23-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey i am looking for recomendations for a 1 man Pontoon Boat. I borrowed one a week ago now i just have to have one. They are so convenient for size to pack with all the other camping gear.
It would be nice to know what size,brand etc is the best bang for the Buck.
What do you look for in extra's ...electric motor etc.

Thanks.

kinwahkly
07-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Ive got a Scadden float , pontoon great unit.

Springer
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Who sells this line of Scadden?

pickrel pat
07-23-2011, 10:46 AM
i have a creek company. great unit. google it and check them out.

lifesaflyin
07-23-2011, 11:45 AM
canadain tire had a sale on for an 8 foot for 249.99 this week.

Springer
07-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks Pat & Lifesaflyn ...I will do some surfing today and check out Cambodian Tire after work tonight.

MK2750
07-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Check out the ones at Costco Red Deer. For a hundred more it looks like twice the boat.

Just bought the young fellow a Fish Cat Streamer. Add another two hundred but it is the best of the bunch IMHO. Available at BP.

I have a Water Skeeter and it too is nice but I have no idea where to get one.

WayneChristie
07-24-2011, 07:38 AM
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10350153&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|111|22211&N=4010198&Mo=32&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22211&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=

I believe waterskeeter went out of business a while ago.

vinny
07-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Can't beat the warranty with the Outcast boats. I have a 9' and I love it. The Scadden are awesome but more money I think.

Springer
07-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks for your help everyone. I went by Canadian tire and the sale was off and the Pontoon not quite what i want but still probably a lot of fun for the $$.
I may send the Bride by Costco today to have a look.
Bass Pro wednesday and maybe Wholesale but i never saw many on their website.

Does anyone own a 2 person or used one before?
The Scadden line is quite various and more money , would sure be nice to try some before i make up my mind.

Wayne Christie i have read some reviews on Water Skeeter and the warranty work appears to be shoddy from what some have written in reviews.

What extras should i buy or have on the Pontoon, rod holder etc...what about an electric motor,does anybody have a need for one..

Bowfloat
07-24-2011, 08:50 AM
The first question you should ask yourself is where do you intend to use it?

1 size will fit almost every person but not every lake or river.
A 8' will work fantastic on small ponds and lakes but even though you could successfully float the Bow with it, doesn't make it a river boat.
You can use a car inner tube to float the Bow and chances are will hold air better in ruff conditions than your Crappy Tire or Water Skeetter which has filled Chapter 11.
You get what you pay for.

If this will be a Bow River pontoon get a 9 foot or better. The optimum is a 11 foot which will track with little effort and have less side to side spin. Plus you can add goodies like a stand up casting deck and remote controlled Minn Kota.

Bottom line is where will you use it and how long do you want it to last.

Rent or borrow different sized pontoons and once you have that narrowed down buy the best the market has to offer. There are pontoons that come with a 10 year warrantee so if you look after them there is no reason you could not pass it down when you are old and grey.

You will notice most of the pontoons you see for sale are 8 footers.

Springer
07-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks Bowfloat. yes i would like to float the Bow, The Red Deer, lakes etc. My Wife thinks i should get the 2 man. I am leaning that way now to. I agree you get what you pay for, If her and i are going to Enjoy a new toy like this i dont mind paying the extra and having it for many years.

Who would rent these?? I will now focus on the 9- 11'. any suggestions on Dealers ? I imagine Calgary will have various places to check..

the casting deck...is it really stable enough?? 10 yr warrantee is awesome.

Thanks ...

mayuan
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks Bowfloat. yes i would like to float the Bow, The Red Deer, lakes etc. My Wife thinks i should get the 2 man. I am leaning that way now to. I agree you get what you pay for, If her and i are going to Enjoy a new toy like this i dont mind paying the extra and having it for many years.

Who would rent these?? I will now focus on the 9- 11'. any suggestions on Dealers ? I imagine Calgary will have various places to check..

Thanks ...

I put in a vote for the Dave Scadden line of pontoons. I currently have the outlaw X5(casting deck is awsome) and picked up the renegade for the father-in-law. The specs are all double that of any other brand. The units are bladderless so you don't have to worry about them fracturing in the winter storage. The units come with a life-time warranty!

I don't really know the forum rules on promoting shops, but PM me and I will tell you who to contact. If it is fine with the admin's they can PM me and I will post the contact info here.

billie
07-24-2011, 10:57 AM
You may have already considered inflatables but I was looking for a 2 man pontoon and the prices climbed pretty drastically from 1 man units. As luck would have it, a friend took me out in his inflatable and the pontoon idea went out the window.

I don't know what a pontoon can do that my boat will not, but truth be told, I haven't used one. It's handles 1, 2 or 3 people easily, standing is comfortable and confident, handles an outboard if you wish, and you stay completely dry when the water is cold.

I added some lateral braces, added backed seats and scotty mounts for rod holders, cup holders, GPS and fish finder. It collapses down to fit in a small trunk if needed.

Good luck in your search.

g1987man
07-24-2011, 12:06 PM
i got dave scadden 2 person. it has bladders. the rear deck is more than capable to hold 4 stroke 5 hp motor and minkota right beside it. as for splashes.... i used a tarp and build myself a splash guard. boat is really stable.
15 years warranty =))

lugeboy
07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Try kijiji there were lots when I was looking and you get the better qualitys with a cheaper price, but definetly look for one with a spot to put an electric motor well worth it

Springer
07-24-2011, 02:37 PM
You may have already considered inflatables but I was looking for a 2 man pontoon and the prices climbed pretty drastically from 1 man units. As luck would have it, a friend took me out in his inflatable and the pontoon idea went out the window.

I don't know what a pontoon can do that my boat will not, but truth be told, I haven't used one. It's handles 1, 2 or 3 people easily, standing is comfortable and confident, handles an outboard if you wish, and you stay completely dry when the water is cold.

I added some lateral braces, added backed seats and scotty mounts for rod holders, cup holders, GPS and fish finder. It collapses down to fit in a small trunk if needed.

Good luck in your search.

Are you saying your boat folds down and fits in your trunk??

I have thought of the Boat idea . Right now the Travel trailer gets pulled behind the Truck, the truck has a Quad in the back occasionally which leaves us no room for a Boat ,these deflate and can go in the trailer, However a rack above truck would hold a boat...

I checked Kijiji Red Deer, I may have to search Calgary and Edmonton..

billie
07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Are you saying your boat folds down and fits in your trunk??

Yup. The floor is 5 pieces that measure about 4'x2'x10" packed up and the boat ends up as a duffel bag about 4'x2'x2'. It comes with the bags. My modifications are on top of that but still easily handled.

Mine is a 12.5' at 160lbs total (IIRC). It can be put together and inflated in about 25-35 minutes depending on beverage intake:). Shipped to my door for just under $1300 (Seamax) but it was an end of season deal.

Bowfloat
07-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Thanks ...

2 man pontoons are a great boat but before you lay down a couple grand I would try one out to see if it will suit you and your wifes needs/want's in a boat.

There is a place in Calgary that does rent different models of pontoons.

32-40win
07-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I've had Outcast and Waterskeeter. Forget Waterskeeter. Outcast has good bladders, good service also. First one needed a bladder after a trip to Vcr island.
Forgot to let some air out before going over to Bamfield from Elk lk. on a hot day. Had it back in two wks, at that time was 65.00 there and back incl the bladder (2001). The discovery series IR9 Outcast will carry up to 450lbs.
If I get to looking at another one , I will take a hard look at the new Scadden line, not cheap, but a lot of good features, and a good name as far as I have heard.