PDA

View Full Version : Someone teach me how to catch walleyes?

gitrdun
07-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi folks, I don't ever hardly post in the fishing forum. But, I need a bit of help here. I have recently passed my boater exam and have my temporary license :sHa_shakeshout: I will be taking a little break from work and will be camped out at Pine Coulee Reservoir, for the week of July 25th. I'll have my tri-hull with a 55HP Johnson Sea horse, the boat is yellow. I have a fish finder that I purchased from Udo at Flys Etc. in High River. My 5th wheel will be there and you can recognize my Toyota FJ (sandy color) and my white Silverado diesel. Me, I'm the garden gnome with bow legs. To tell you the truth, I don't know much about fishing. I've seen 4 year olds catch more fish than I from the dock :scared: If any of you fine folks are out there, I'd sure appreciate some pointers on hooking some fish. Maybe we can search the lake together and find some fish. I promise to not post pictures of fish that someone caught in Wisconsin.....:thinking-006:

Pudelpointer
07-24-2011, 02:57 PM
From what I hear and read about PCR, sound's like you will have a tougher time NOT catching a walleye (or a hundred).

Not sure what you are using, or what the regs are there, but minnows, worms, jigs, spinners, plastic baits, etc. all work for walleye. Try stuff till you find what is working.

"I promise to not post pictures of fish that someone caught in Wisconsin....."

LOL, I just read the end of your post.

lugeboy
07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
No no try posting a nice salmon you got at pine coulee we all catch the same one. No wait that was on the bow......

Anyway a fish finder is useless at PCR because it the screen will be blacked right out with all the fish. LOL
Pretty much anything goes there, At Udo's he has some squirmmies that are bleck and speckiled with a shaker in them they come with 2 hooks and 5 bait I think, I put a piece of minnow on the hook and with in 5 minutes we have something. There are Burbot, pike and walleye there My oldest caught a pike and walleye on a pickeral rig before and I have heard a few stories of walleye being on the hook with a pike trying to eat the walleye on the hook. Oh if you are near the dock and catch a chair let me know, last year we were on the dock fishing and my buddy stood up and the chair went in so he put his hook in to see if he could get it and we ended up with someones elses chair from the bottom so we knew we wern't the first to loose one.

Good luck but I don't think your gonna need it. Keep near the bridge and in the alcoves north of the bridge near the north end thats where we seem to get the best luck.

Also make sure you watch out for the bum who cant afford a car to drive out to PCR and try to steal your change and end up with your Bigmac.

Kim473
07-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I have never been there but a pink jig head tiped with a leech or gulp alive leech bouncing off the bottom usualy works for me. I sometimes switch to a rapala deep diver fat chad in chartruce color trolling at about 2 mph, dives to about 14 fow at that speed. At this time of year they should be 14 to 25 fow depends on the lake. A depth or fish finder is a must. After you catch one note the depth your at. When I troll I dont just go in a staight line along the shore but zig zag to dif depths, most times a fish will take the hook when you turn as the hook slows or speeds up. When jigging try anchoring and wind drifting with the hook just bouncing of the bottom. Slow Wind drifting is usualy best I found when jigging.

Dr. Phil A
07-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Go to the Extra Foods or whatever they go by now in High River or what ever is closest to you.

Go the frozen fish section of the store and grab the biggest bag of frozen smelts you can find. Keep them frozen. You have just saved a weeks wages on bait. :sHa_shakeshout: Cut them in thirds when you are using them.

A single weight on the bottom of the line and just a schnell hook about 8-12 inches above that. Put a smelt on it and over the side it goes. Just jig a bit and you should have fish. Kids can be doing it off the dock while you and the Mrs kick back with a beverage at the campsite.

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi folks, I don't ever hardly post in the fishing forum. But, I need a bit of help here. I have recently passed my boater exam and have my temporary license :sHa_shakeshout: I will be taking a little break from work and will be camped out at Pine Coulee Reservoir, for the week of July 25th. I'll have my tri-hull with a 55HP Johnson Sea horse, the boat is yellow. I have a fish finder that I purchased from Udo at Flys Etc. in High River. My 5th wheel will be there and you can recognize my Toyota FJ (sandy color) and my white Silverado diesel. Me, I'm the garden gnome with bow legs. To tell you the truth, I don't know much about fishing. I've seen 4 year olds catch more fish than I from the dock :scared: If any of you fine folks are out there, I'd sure appreciate some pointers on hooking some fish. Maybe we can search the lake together and find some fish. I promise to not post pictures of fish that someone caught in Wisconsin.....:thinking-006:

My gawd NO ONE would do such a thing!!!!.....good luck on your fishing trip, have fun.

we just got back from eye fishing.....cranks behind a bouncer, never used stick of bait. Fishing was very good

oilngas
07-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Just back from Pine Coulee the grandkids, son in law and I caught a lot of 15" walleye, fished for three hours and I would hate to guess at the numbers. from the boat launch just cross the lake straight east and a maybe 200 -300 m North. There is a small cove there. we were about 15 m from shore, use the sounder and find 14' under the boat, and 10' off the bow and 18' off the stern. I anchored head and tail to stay in the 14' range mid boat. Small 3/16 oz. yellow feather jig c/w a threaded on minnow and if you have to wait a minute your bait is gone. two grandsons (4 and 6) and son in law and self often had two or three on at once.

Biggest catch of the day was 35#'s!!!!!

the Brit puppy (1 year) had her nose in the bait cup, after I discouraged her several times ( minnows were being ate by smallish Walleygators at a prodigus rate and she does need eat the bait) she waited until i put down the slip bobber line to help Grandson. You guessed it she got into the minnow on the slip bobber set up and the 1/0 Gammy, lucky it was just through her upper lip. A little yelping and blood etc. all was Ok. Oh yeah she left the minnows alone after that!!!!!

Cal
07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Trolling crankbaits is about as simple as it gets and I probably catch about 50% of my walleye that way. Storm Hot'n Tots are my top producing crank. I usualy alternate between trolling crankbaits into the wind and drifting jigs with the wind. Depending on how the fish respond I may adjust this strategy, for example if I'm picking up more fish on the jigs than on the crankbaits I will try trolling a bottom bouncer and live bait instead.

Start with the crankbaits, alternate with jigs, switch to somthing more complicated if needed, my walleye strategy in a nutshell.

Digger1
07-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I picked up a pack of "Slurpies" rubber curlytail jigs from Udo. Was going to go down and try them today with the kids, but ended up sick for the weekend :sign0161: Good luck, enjoy the week

HunterDave
07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
If you are on a lake don't anchor your boat and just drift in about 15-20 feet of water. Put on a jig with a minnow and drop it to the bottom. Sometimes walleye hit your bait very light and you will only feel a bit of resistance on the line when you jig up. When you feel that.......WACK......set the hook! Drift around bouncing that jig off of the bottom til you catch a fish. Remember the spot and keep drifting through it or anchor right there. Walleyes school so where you find one you'll likely find others. If you get bored of that you can always cast out from the boat with the same rig, let it sink to the bottom and jig/reel your line back in.

Sometimes one colour of jig head will work better one day over the other so you can play with that a bit. Walleye seem to like my jigs with a white eyeball and a black pupil over just the white or black dot ones but that could just be me. GL and have fun! :)

gramps73
07-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I have tried.....

gitrdun
07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I did it!. Caught my first one today. All that I had to do is be within hearing range of a dad teaching his boy. Followed the instructions and got one. Oh yeah! :sHa_shakeshout: Oh, BTW, thanks for all you guy's advice. :) He/she was a MONSTER....I'll post pics as soon as I can find some :thinking-006: just yanking your chains of course.

chubbdarter
07-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I did it!. Caught my first one today. All that I had to do is be within hearing range of a dad teaching his boy. Followed the instructions and got one. Oh yeah! :sHa_shakeshout: Oh, BTW, thanks for all you guy's advice. :) He/she was a MONSTER....I'll post pics as soon as I can find some :thinking-006: just yanking your chains of course.

did you see the hamburglar van?

congrats on the fish

HunterDave
07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
CONGRATS!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

I have a nice photo from Wisconsin. :evilgrin: