PDA

View Full Version : Looking for campground/ fishing area south or west of Calgary

stvnda
07-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey, looking to go camping in southern alberta on our way to kimberly BC and would like advice on campgrounds with good fishing and possibly a place for swimming. I am taking my 8 year old who lives for fishing. We prefer fly fishing but we will have all the gear with us. Looking to stay in a park anywhere down there for a few days this week.

I have never been in that area fishing or camping so some local knowledge to point us in the right direction would be good.

Digger1
07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Our old favorite, Willow Creek park, West of Stavely, stay on the paved road past Pine Coulee Reservoir a couple Km. Cross bridge, turn left. $20/night, nice trees, play/swimming area in the river for the kids. Good walleye in Pine Coulee. Hope to be there next weekend again.

gramps73
07-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Check out Tie Lake...

stvnda
07-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Are pets allowed at Willow Creek? We do have a dog.

Scott N
07-25-2011, 08:15 AM
There are a lot of places.... Beaver Mines Lake, Beauvais Lake, Allision (Chinook) Lake are just a few.

slivers86
07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Chain lakes was nice when I was a kid. Indian Graves I believe has a campsite still, nice and close to chain lakes. South of Longview on HWY 22.

Scott N
07-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Chain lakes was nice when I was a kid. Indian Graves I believe has a campsite still, nice and close to chain lakes. South of Longview on HWY 22.

I think Indian Graves has become "Party Central" for a lot of people. A few years ago on a long weekend people actually brought out a couch and burnt it.

stvnda
07-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks, for the tips, seems like we should have no problem finding a place to fish! We are thinking willow creek is our first choice, mostly because of location. Still don't know if we are allowed to have a dog there, we are unable to get ahold of anyone down there. Second choice is beauvais lake. I am thinking a couple days at each campground would be nice! Would still like to know if we are allowed to have the dog in Willow Creek though.

ORV
07-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Thanks, for the tips, seems like we should have no problem finding a place to fish! We are thinking willow creek is our first choice, mostly because of location. Still don't know if we are allowed to have a dog there, we are unable to get ahold of anyone down there. Second choice is beauvais lake. I am thinking a couple days at each campground would be nice! Would still like to know if we are allowed to have the dog in Willow Creek though.

don,t see why not. there have been dog,s at pretty much every campground
i have camped at. there are dog,s allowed at pine coulee
willow creek is the same m.d.

orv.

Digger1
07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes there are definitely dogs at Willow Creek, on leash. I saw em myself. The MD runs the park now. Phone Office (403) 549-2218 or Darrell De Clercq at (403) 625 – 6239 cell

stvnda
07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Awesome, thanks Digger. I had a phone number from the internet but it is no longer in service.

Getting excited now.

Digger1
07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I think Indian Graves has become "Party Central" for a lot of people. A few years ago on a long weekend people actually brought out a couch and burnt it.

Last time I checked partiers were actually burning vehicles out there! Too bad, awesome location.

Digger1
07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
You're welcome neighbour. I discovered WC when I went there to work on a major reconstruction in 06 after extensive flood damage, 8 foot deep washouts etc, 55 sites destroyed.

stvnda
07-25-2011, 08:25 PM
You're welcome neighbour. I discovered WC when I went there to work on a major reconstruction in 06 after extensive flood damage, 8 foot deep washouts etc, 55 sites destroyed.

No rain expected in the next few days is there!

bigfis
07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Can you reserve sites at willow creek

Digger1
07-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Can you reserve sites at willow creek

I know last year you could only reserve group sites. We were at WC 3 weekends ago, showed up Sat afternoon, and I'd say it was 25% vacant.

vcmm
07-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Indian Graves is nice. They have cracked down on the morons but you might need a reservation?

stvnda
08-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Well, Willow Creek Campground is a hidden secret. Probably the cleanest public area I ever visited. Very nice campground. The fishing in the river is not great, we only got a few 4 inchers! We did fish Pine Coulee Res, but only got some smaller walleye. After a few days we moved further south and fished the Oldman River.... now that is fishing! I got quite a few hits but only managed to get 2 rainbows in, about 30 cm or so. First time out with the flyrod other than some stocked lakes. The oldman was a good rush for me and I got to see how difficult it is to get in bigger fish.

Overall, it was an excellant week out fishing and camping.

slivers86
08-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Well, Willow Creek Campground is a hidden secret. Probably the cleanest public area I ever visited. Very nice campground. The fishing in the river is not great, we only got a few 4 inchers! We did fish Pine Coulee Res, but only got some smaller walleye. After a few days we moved further south and fished the Oldman River.... now that is fishing! I got quite a few hits but only managed to get 2 rainbows in, about 30 cm or so. First time out with the flyrod other than some stocked lakes. The oldman was a good rush for me and I got to see how difficult it is to get in bigger fish.

Overall, it was an excellant week out fishing and camping.

Glad you had fun there. Beautiful country down that far south, wish I could get down there more often!