PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Violation

gray
07-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi all. I'm trying to do some research for my dad who is now in some trouble. Hopefully someone can help. My dad, who doesn't speak or understand English, went fishing with a friend who thought he knew the rules (but clearly turns out he didn't).

They were both caught in violation of the regulations and were each issued a ticket. My dad's violation was that he had three lines (illegal to have more than one) and his friend's violation was keeping four fishes (apparently the limit was zero, not sure what type of fish).

Actually the story is that the two guys each had two lines. My dad was sitting by his two lines, and the friend set up one about 10 feet away from my dad, then set up another one even further (and was sitting next to the further one when they were caught). Therefore, my dad was ticketed as having three lines instead of two because my dad was closer to the friend's line (of course he couldn't argue since he didn't speak english, and the friend refused to admit the second rod was his).

So anyway, my dad has a mandatory court appearance coming up in August and I am wondering what I should expect. I am anticipating a fine and possibly his license revoked. Does anyone know how much the fine would be for having too many lines? I heard these fines can go up into the thousands which we really can't afford. Is there any way to get the fine reduced in court? If anyone has any input, that would be great. Thank you.

maclennanchris
07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
ohhh boy....:scared0018:

calgarygringo
07-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe you should try reading him the rules like the rest of have to do so he doesn't get a ticket!!!!!!

stc77
07-24-2011, 09:59 PM
yikes! that sucks man. All i can say is, im sure that the no english arguement will not stand for much in court. They will tell him that whether or not you speak english you should know the regulations for yourself... dont trust what others may tell you. If people have questions, they could always call SRD and get the regs in different languages. I dont care what people tell me, i check the regs first to be sure for myself... Dont wanna get screwed. Tough luck for your dad... guess his friend really wasnt a good friend to go fishing with.. hope it works out alright, but doesnt sound too good. With the amount of poaching that does go on out there, they dont take stuff like that too lightly.

Fishfinder
07-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the forum!:party0051::party0051::party0051::budo:

Daceminnow
07-24-2011, 10:06 PM
they should feel fortunate they didn't get they're vehicles and all their gear confiscated. i hate to say you'll most likely not get a lot of support or "what to expect" help from the folks on this forum. real outdoorsmen and poachers don't play nice together.

Dace

BeeGuy
07-24-2011, 10:07 PM
That sucks.

If your father's english is poor, you can speak on his behalf.

I'm sure if you tell the judge about your financial situation he/she will take that into consideration.

Did he challenge the tickets or was the court appearance indicated as part of the charge?

BeeGuy
07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
...heeeeeeeere we gooooooooo...............

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Call the issuing officer....BE polite and respectful...dont whine with excuses. Ask her/him what your options are on how to handle the matter

slivers86
07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Gray,

Unfortunately, its the responsibility of the fisherman/woman to read the regulations before going out. I'm not trying to be negative, but regardless of language and comprehension issue's, your father applied for the license, in English or French, so he must understand enough. The fine will more than likely stick.

Never been fined, or dealt with any fish & game or environmental issues, but I'm sure something will result if its a manditory court appearance.

AFR019(D) ANGLING WITH MORE THAN ONE LINE IN OPEN WATER -

on the stats from 2007, looks like better than 90% were convicted.

slivers86
07-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Call the issuing officer....BE polite and respectful...dont whine with excuses. Ask her/him what your options are on how to handle the matter

x2 chubb... kindness and being polite go a LONG ways when you see the uniform in court and they agree with you/your lawyer that you tried to find the best way of dealing with it.

HunterDave
07-24-2011, 10:20 PM
So anyway, my dad has a mandatory court appearance coming up in August and I am wondering what I should expect.

If it's a mandatory court appearance I'm thinking that the charge is more serious than other offences thus the punishment will be more severe. If he was just given a ticket for a fine and didn't have to go to court unless he contested the charge (ie plead not guilty) that is something different. Not a good situation to put yourself in that's for sure.

Just curious, what body of water was he on and what type of fish did they have (ie. sturgeon?)? I don't know but that could also be relevant to what kind of sentence/fine he could expect to get.

nicemustang
07-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Ok I'll say it.....glad they were caught. Learning is fun.

BGSH
07-24-2011, 10:35 PM
You should have gave your dad a regs book and asked him where he was going, depending on the fish it could be as much as a 4000$ fine, Always bring the regs with you and use barbless hooks in Alberta, as for your dads friend, hes not much of a friends now is he?

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 10:42 PM
If I could guess at what the fish were...it would be walleye...I would be amazed if someone was shore fishing and caught only 4 sturgeon and that was all they kept...

Hopefully your Dad had a fishing license? he would have needed a WIN card to get that as well.....he would have had to fill out the paperwork which is in english or french??

.....too bad for him he didn't know and follow the rules...this will be a nice expensive lesson I think.

LC

matt04
07-24-2011, 10:43 PM
sounds like a lazy ***** excuse to me

BeeGuy
07-24-2011, 10:47 PM
He's asking for advice, not condemnation.

If it was your father with a similar situation or perhaps a DUI or other, you wouldn't appreciate the bs.

bloopbloob
07-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Ok I'll say it.....glad they were caught. Learning is fun.

+1

Ignorance is not an excuse for not obeying the law. It was his responsibility to know what the rules are before he went fishing. He was poaching, plain and simple. Many try to plead ignorance when they know fully well what they are doing is illegal. And even if they didn't know (quite unlikely), it's still poaching. No sympathy here!

This is what makes so many of us SOOOO mad! :angry3: Glad they got caught.

bigbuck19
07-24-2011, 10:53 PM
You might be able to get a ticket reduction, depends on who issued the ticket... if you go to the court date you could probably request more time to pay the ticket as well. But rules are rules, read the regulations for next time.

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 10:54 PM

If it was your father with a similar situation or perhaps a DUI or other, you wouldn't appreciate the bs.

Well then this is the wrong place to be asking about what a poacher should expect for a punishment....let him find out during his day in court....

I wouldn't come on a public form and tell a story how my Dad broke the law and expect any sympathy or expect people to hold back an opinion....consider your audience before you post is a message I would send...

Beeguy, question...you think someone would actually come on here and ask... "My Dad got a DUI cause he didn't know he wasn't allowed to drink and drive but his friend told him to, what do you think will happen to him?".....give your head shake....

LC

bloopbloob
07-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Well then this is the wrong place to be asking about what a poacher should expect for a punishment....let him find out during his day in court....

I wouldn't come on a public form and tell a story how my Dad broke the law and expect any sympathy or expect people to hold back an opinion....consider your audience before you post is a message I would send...

LC

Couldn't have said it better myself! Excellent response Sir!

stc77
07-24-2011, 10:58 PM

LC

no kidding. No sympathy. You poach, whether it was intentional or not... you should pay the fine. The regs and resources are there for a reason. There is no excuse. People just need to ask and problems like this could be avoided.

Agree with the rest of you, this will be an expensive way to learn to read the regs and know what is and is not allowed.

nicemustang
07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Give advice? I think it's simple advice. Read the regulations. It's the law.

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
haahhahahaahha......i agree with most of you

But there is a hundred poor me threads on this site written by long standing members.....and very few tough guy responses are posted.
This guy is gonna get a beating because he has 1 post.

I dont agree his dad should be excused...the son needs to call the issuing C.O. and not argue just get a detailed report on what his dad did wrong. Then explain it to his pops.
We need people to become educated, because the fines dont repair the damage violators do.

Ask yourself this.....how many of you have reported a wildlife offence properly and it led to a conviction?

Walleye101
07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
This is Canada! All he will get is a slap on the wrist. ME speak no english.

BGAngler
07-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Is there a listing of fines broken down? Barbs, keeping over limit, etc? I'm curious how much a fine would be for keeping a bull.

timsesink
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Englsih or no English in Canada ignorance is no excuse. Your dad messed up and I hope his buddy has the book thrown at him. Lesson learned, pay the fine, move on.

matt04
07-24-2011, 11:24 PM

Not knockin the Ao forum, but this would the the last place I would seek LEGAL ADVICE. I would start with a lawyer.

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 11:30 PM
i hope we dont end up buying him a van

LOL, lets all pitch in and what color.....hmmmm beige is always nice! :)

LC

BGSH
07-24-2011, 11:33 PM
if it was sturgeon it could be 4 fish= over 400 thousand dollers in fines

Badback
07-24-2011, 11:40 PM
This is a set up...Gray has one post (this one) and then uses the "no english" card....

matt04
07-24-2011, 11:42 PM
This is a set up...Gray has one post (this one) and then uses the "no english" card....

like a sting op

buckmaster
07-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Englsih or no English in Canada ignorance is no excuse. Your dad messed up and I hope his buddy has the book thrown at him. Lesson learned, pay the fine, move on.

X2

alacringa
07-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Best advice: man up, and endure the consequences. Whether 2 or 3 rods were his, he had too many lines in the water. If a person doesn't know the regs, they should not be fishing. If they decide to fish in spite of that, they'd better be willing to face the music.
I'd say a mandatory court appearance is a pretty good indication that this is a fairly big deal, though. As others have brought up, some charges include a voluntary payment option, much like a speeding ticket.

slough shark
07-24-2011, 11:45 PM
hey best guide the f&w finally came to your phone calls maybe! no sympathy from me here, you poach you pay. best advice I can give is man up pay the piper and learn so that in the future you follow the rules and have no issues.

ghostguy6
07-24-2011, 11:50 PM
If your seriously looking for advice I would plead guilty and hope the judge takes it easy on you for admitting to the mistakes and not wasting the courts time.

Personally I have no sympathy because you dont speak one of the official langauges. If I were to go to some other country were I didnt speak the language they would not show me any sympathy for breaking the law.

ishootbambi
07-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Ask yourself this.....how many of you have reported a wildlife offence properly and it led to a conviction?

i have....twice. this is the most recent one.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=86214&highlight=court+case

the first time was similar to this....the guy spoke little english and couldnt ID a mule deer even after he killed it!

Christofficer
07-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Don't worry, he'll get off with minimal charges. No speaka englais = do whatever you want. If you're from here or native forget about it, probably get 5 or 6 years in prison and never be able to get a decent job ever again.

Kim473
07-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Go to court with your father and be as respectfull and curtious to the court as possible. The only way to keep the fine as small as possible. Dont get me wrong he will still get a fine the question is just how much? Depends what kind of mood the judge is in. Have you read the regs to your father yet? If not why not?

Sundancefisher
07-25-2011, 07:15 AM
He was obviously guilty as you have stated in your single post. Tell him mto admit guilt...pay the fine..don't repeat history again.

The judge will likely go easy on him. The fact that you did not mention species is intriguing. Please tell us what the fish were.

Simple answer.

slivers86
07-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Is there a listing of fines broken down? Barbs, keeping over limit, etc? I'm curious how much a fine would be for keeping a bull.

I searched high and low, including act's and regulations. no fine schedule. odd? I think its a descretionary fine with minimum's and maximum's based on severity of the offence.

missmyhusband
07-25-2011, 07:29 AM
I searched high and low, including act's and regulations. no fine schedule. odd? I think its a descretionary fine with minimum's and maximum's based on severity of the offence.

Not quite. :

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/sor-98-246/latest/sor-98-246.html

Bottom of the page, Schedule 9

Catching and retaining more than daily quota

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of the quota to a maximum of $1, 000

Exceeding possession limit

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of possession limit to a maximum of $1, 000

Angling with more than one line in open water $50

There are more, and yes, they are terribly low!

Jiffy10
07-25-2011, 07:39 AM
There are two seperate issues here. One is the " 3 " line vs " 2 " line
issue. It would be best if you helped to represent your father on this one.
" 4 " lines.... " 2 " fisherman ..... this one has the best chance of being
explained and knocked down to a simple fine or if the judge is in an
understanding mood. He may drop it.

On the issue of to many fish ! No math to do here. To many fish
are simply to many fish.

I hope things turn out well.

Post the results if you can.......

slivers86
07-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Not quite. :

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of possession limit to a maximum of $1, 000

its like murder... 20 years... get out after 6.5

Kokanee9
07-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi all. I'm trying to do some research for my dad who is now in some trouble. Hopefully someone can help. .................................................. .................................................. .............................. If anyone has any input, that would be great. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

Don't think I need to add much else.

Scott N
07-25-2011, 08:10 AM
I think the minimum fine for most fishing violations is about $200.

mszomola
07-25-2011, 08:45 AM
There is a really handy stand at almost every location where you register for a license with countless copies of the rules and regs. The language barrier shouldn't create ignorance but emphasize urgency to understand before I do... You wouldn't jump in front of a car at an intersection because language stopped you from understanding the signs and signals to look for.

boot
07-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Interesting responses.

On his father's behalf, he admitted the violations and he's accepting the consequences for his mistakes. All he's asking for is some information on what to expect and possibly options to reduce the fines. It's always nice getting a kick in the balls after admitting a mistake.

Gray, read over what Chubbdarter has said and go from there. Look at the ticket and find out who you can call to get more information. Be polite and I'm sure you'll be able to find out enough information (via phone) to know what you're facing. I'm purely guessing at this point, but I imagine there may be fine reductions available based on early payment, ability to pay, number of previous infractions, etc. There might be options to make interim payments as well.

Anyhow, take this is as a learning experience and go over the fishing regulations with your father. Do this annually (new regs every year) and make sure he understands the rules for the areas in which he fishes.

Good luck.

Jayhad
07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
If this was on the Bow in the city on saturday tell you dad thanks for cash..... just another poacher in the long line of RAP call ins i make every day,

iliketrout
07-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing this is spam.

If it's not, I have zero sympathy and I hope they throw the book at him.

Albertafisher
07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
welcome to the forum!:party0051::party0051::party0051::budo:

lol

nichead
07-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Did this violation happen at the narrows in lac St. Anne about 2 weeks ago? If yes then I was there and witnessed the whole thing. 2 guys keeping walleye and using multiple rods, one older guy sitting down with 2-3 rods out, the other guy 10 feet away. Officers came and the younger guy had to translate everything.

Gust
07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Don't bring your dads buddy to court, get tried seperately,, go with him yourself as translator.

Fishfinder
07-25-2011, 02:34 PM
:budo::sign0111::sad0071::Lightning::sSc_hiding:

gray
07-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Thank you for all who provided actual responses. I am not a hunter/fisherman myself so I do not know all the rules and feel it is really unfair to be attacked here. I wasn't looking for sympathy. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of similar encounter so I know what to expect in court (I tried searching and couldn't come up with anything). I could have just asked what is the fine for breaking the rule, but I knew I would get attacked if I asked that. Instead, I decided to give a back of background such as my dad didn't speak English so that you guys would know he didn't knowingly break the rule and is asking for an easy way out.

Anyway, my dad first got his fishing license about fifteen years ago. I was still in elementary (or junior high, I can't remember) but my older brother and my mom read the regulations at the time. When we took family trips, they would always check the catching limits at each lake we visited. My brother and I were both underage at the time and always had three lines or less at a time. I don't think there was a problem there.

As the years went on, my brother and I grew up and became busy with school and work. We stopped going on the family trips and instead my dad found new friends (from work or other friends) to go fishing with. His friends told him the regulations for the new lakes they took him to (and he trusted them) and he knew not to violate them.

As for exceeding the number of lines, the friend told him they were allowed two lines each, but it turns out (as i'm sure the rest of you know), that is he is confusing with the ice fishing rules.

Yes, he violated the regulations. He knows that and I know that.

Did this violation happen at the narrows in lac St. Anne about 2 weeks ago? If yes then I was there and witnessed the whole thing. 2 guys keeping walleye and using multiple rods, one older guy sitting down with 2-3 rods out, the other guy 10 feet away. Officers came and the younger guy had to translate everything.

Possibly. I think my dad mentioned his new fishing spot was close to Devil's Lake (where we have gone a few times as a family). It think it happend the week of July 16/17. My mom left the country on July 12th and he must have gotten himself in trouble that weekend. I've been busy with moving this month and last night was the first time I've been back to visit him since before my mom left. As usual, I asked if he went fishing on Saturday and he quietly told me how he screwed up. He told me how it was unfair that the officer tagged him with the third rod, but other than that he was just really afraid of the huge fine he would have to face. He was even hesitant to ask me to go to court with him (which would be in Stony Plain) as he knows I have a strict work schedule. Of course, I will make sure to go to court with him and will take the suggestion to call the officer beforehand to get an understanding of the charges. Anyway, as soon as I got home last night, I tried to do some research and ended up here with my post. And yes, I work a full time job, so I couldn't check the forum again until I got home from work just now (whoever was trying to accuse me otherwise).

To those of you who disagree with any of this, please just be respectful and ignore this thread. I can tell my dad has been very affected by it and it has had me very stressed out since I found out last night. We are not like some people who haul boats and have fancy trucks so we can't just throw money at the problem like nothing. This is not a joke to us. What happened has happened and yes, lesson learned if my dad can still fish again. I will make sure to keep an eye on him from now on. If you can't be helpful, then don't say anything at all.

gray
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Not quite. :

Thank you. That was what I had been looking for. does anyone know - if there is a prescribed fine, how come my dad still has a mandatory court date?

Nait Hadya
07-25-2011, 06:18 PM
should probably reserve judgement until you know the rest of the story.

baitfisher83
07-25-2011, 06:30 PM
should probably reserve judgement until you know the rest of the story.

The rest of the story???You either follow regulations or you don't.

Braun
07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
The rest of the story???You either follow regulations or you don't.

thats not what hes talking about. he is talking about how both him and his father both acknowledge that it is wrong that the regs wernt fallowed and accept the consequences. the guy was only looking for advice on how to help his father. he wasnt making excuses. alot of the people on this forum have their heads up their asses(the definition of an asshat). ya its wrong. they know its wrong. leave it at that.

Badgoodguy
07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Sure he broke the law but here is just a dumb thought......Depending on what language his dad speaks do they not require an interpeter for his dad in the court and if so perhaps it might even get thrown out Who Knows just a thought.....

hal53
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Sure he broke the law but here is just a dumb thought......Depending on what language his dad speaks do they not require an interpeter for his dad in the court and if so perhaps it might even get thrown out Who Knows just a thought.....
he is allowed an interpreter if he is French and doesn't speak English or vice-versa, one of Canada's official languages, we (taxpayer) must provide that for him....my question is.....sounds like he has been here a long time....why would he not learn to speak and understand one of our languages????.....just wondering...obviously he chose to be here?????????

KegRiver
07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Sorry they had to learn the hard way.

As for all the heros who have no sympathy for those fellows, you ought to try immigrating to a country where the language and customs are different.

I have made enough mistakes in my life to appreciate that sometimes good people make bad choices with no ill intent.

I wonder how many GOOD CANADIANS stood by and watched this situation develop and said nothing.

Wish I had some advice for you gray, but I have no experience with the courts.

BGSH
07-25-2011, 07:37 PM
We could go on all day about fish violations, I bet almost all of you have done something wrong or hurtfall towards fish well fishing, throwing fish, kicking fish ect.... but thank god this man was caught and is going to face the law, its in place for a reason, just hope you didnt keep sturgeon then your an idiiot and are going to face harsh penaltys, when i see people release trout by throwing em in the water or keeping them out of the water for more then 8 seconds taking pictures, its a shame, anyways face the penaltys and now your dad knows for the future to take a regulations book out when fishing, all the best towards the future fishing.

huntsfurfish
07-25-2011, 07:58 PM
quote Braun "the guy was only looking for advice on how to help his father. he wasnt making excuses. alot of the people on this forum have their heads up their asses(the definition of an asshat). ya its wrong. they know its wrong. leave it at that."

Well said.

BGSH
07-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Why are there fishing regulations if not many people follow them anymore?

WayneChristie
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM
...my question is.....sounds like he has been here a long time....why would he not learn to speak and understand one of our languages????.....just wondering...obviously he chose to be here?????????

exactly. 15 years is a long time to be ignorant of the language in a country where you live and work, and if hes been fishing that long and had the regs explained to him, he know very well that you are allowed only one rod in open water, so he has no excuse. I hope he gets the maximum fines allowed, hes had 15 years to figure it out.

Duramaximos
07-25-2011, 09:02 PM
As much as I do feel some sympathy for your father, I would feel cheated as a law abiding outdoorsmen if he gets off with a slap on the wrist.

You say he understands he made a mistake, but a slap on the wrist may not deter him from making the same "mistakes" in the future.

Ken07AOVette
07-25-2011, 09:33 PM
exactly. 15 years is a long time to be ignorant of the language in a country where you live and work, and if hes been fishing that long and had the regs explained to him, he know very well that you are allowed only one rod in open water, so he has no excuse. I hope he gets the maximum fines allowed, hes had 15 years to figure it out.

Exactly.

I am so tired of the crying immigrant game.

chubbdarter
07-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Exactly.

I am so tired of the crying immigrant game.

Im tired of the whole crying game.......if we are buying vans for con artists maybe this guy deserves a break....

iliketrout
07-25-2011, 10:05 PM
So we're defending poachers now? :angry3:

If "missmyhusband" has the numbers correct, I would assume each guy will get $100 for exceeding the limit and 2 fish each at $20, plus $50 for the gray's father only (since the other guy wasn't charged with too many lines). That only adds up to $330 total. Probably doesn't even cover the cost of enforcement, especially if there is a court date.

I have to wonder how many other times this friend has fished more than one line and kept illegal fish as well...

I'm just glad that they have been made aware of their mistakes and will hopefully not repeat them in the future.

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2011, 10:08 PM
No worries ILT....probably just pay the small fine and go back to doing whats been done for the past 15 years....ignorance is bliss....

LC :)

slivers86
07-25-2011, 10:10 PM
The manditory court date, would probably be on top of those listed tickets, am I right Gray?

Most of the time, when a ticket(s) are issued, an officer will give out multiple tickets. Once in court, normally a number of them are thrown out, and only one or two convictions. In this case, it sounds like whatever species was being kept, may have been on a complete ban or whatnot (such as bulls, sturgeon.. even walleye in some places). Poaching I believe is still a provincial offence, but the fine is to be placed by the residing judge, not the conservation/f&g officer.

Just becuase you're going to court doesn't mean you will get taken to the cleaners, just be honest and don't cry for help or sympathy. Admit it was a big mistake, and let the judge/crown do their job.

good luck in future endeavors.

HunterDave
07-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Me thinks that we're being hoodwinked. The old "here's my story" followed by "yeah, it's true" (Post 61).

If you want to know the REAL answer..........It depends on what language your Father speaks. The Judge will have a look at the foreign language chart and fine accordingly. It starts at $200 for Spanish speaking people and goes as high as $5000/fish/rod for weird languages that people never heard of. :)

RAK
07-25-2011, 11:43 PM
It sounds to me that you should discuss this problem with a lawyer who is familiar with fish and wildlife law before your dad goes to court. A lawyer should be able to tell you what your options are and what the outcome may be.

Shmag
07-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Had a family friend come up to slave about 10 yrs ago, a fish snapped his line so he casted out a slip bobber while he retied. He retied and ended up casting it out before reeling in his bobber. Wardens were watching but never approached him there. They waited at the launch for him to return and handed a ticket for fishing with 2 rods...automatic court appearence.

Of coarse he was an out of towner so i had to show up in court for him. He was charged $ 150.00. Not sure if it changed since then...probably not much. As far as over possesion...now that can get costly

Isopod
07-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Gray, I don't have any direct knowledge in this area, but if this is your dad's first fishing violation in 15 years I would be really surprised if the fine was more than a few hundred dollars. No question their actions were wrong, but in the world of poaching, four fish is small compared to the guys who poach commercially. I'm not defending their actions, in fact I think it's good they were caught, but I just can't see the courts coming down too hard on them. If this is a second violation, that's a whole other story...

SkytopBrewster
07-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Everytime I buy worms at the Husky station at Rocky to take the boys to the kids pond the store owner Oriental, little english) asks if he is allowed to use them in the N Sask river and each time I tell him no. They sell licences and there is a stack of regs by the door. Too funny, sorry about you're dads luck but I don't think he deserves a break. I guess we have to print the regs in more languages:thinking-006:

Chris K
07-26-2011, 12:48 AM
If I were you, I would have your dad take the fine for too many lines. His buddy is going to get 1000 per fish for the ones that he is credited with keeping, so the $4000 fine is going to be a good lesson for him. Your dad is actually lucky in this situation for the price of his ticket vs what his buddy is going to get. The officer really did give him a big break in this situation.

CK

missmyhusband
07-26-2011, 06:28 AM
If I were you, I would have your dad take the fine for too many lines. His buddy is going to get 1000 per fish for the ones that he is credited with keeping, so the $4000 fine is going to be a good lesson for him. Your dad is actually lucky in this situation for the price of his ticket vs what his buddy is going to get. The officer really did give him a big break in this situation.

CK

Got a link to that fine Schedule?

AlbertaAngler
07-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Got a link to that fine Schedule?

It's not a set fine. Fish and Wildlife officers have the option of requiring a court appearance when set fines would be too low for the circumstances. Judges are fining around $1000 a walleye in the Brooks area. Every Judge and circumstance is different so who knows what the fines will be. That's if the four fish kept were walleye.

DarkAisling
07-26-2011, 08:18 AM

CK

That's what I'm thinking, as well. I'm not sure what the difference would be in accepting responsibility for the two lines that were his and the additional line that he was charged for, versus just his two lines.

The three versus two lines discrepancy is the only real issue here . . . and that may not affect the outcome. If it will affect the outcome, he should certainly make it clear that he is willing to claim responsibility for the two lines and not the third.

The whole situation is very unfortunate (for Gray's family AND our resources), but hopefully Gray's father will make wiser choices in the future and consult with someone who is fluent in English and knowledgeable about our fishing regulations in the future. Sometimes the lessons we were learn the hard way have the most impact.

Crusty
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Guide and Bfshr, grow up! Pretty brave behind the screen. As far as the excuse, no speaky english, that's no excuse. The judge will deal with this case, not some po'd forum member. If any member thinks fines are to small, etc............... crying about here doesn't fix the issue, it just gets all your butt kissing friends to agree with you. Talk to the politicians, they hopefully will make it right, I doubt it but hopefully. I'm TIRED of the whining on both, it's so pathetic!

boot
07-26-2011, 08:53 AM
thats not what hes talking about. he is talking about how both him and his father both acknowledge that it is wrong that the regs wernt fallowed and accept the consequences. the guy was only looking for advice on how to help his father. he wasnt making excuses. alot of the people on this forum have their heads up their asses(the definition of an asshat). ya its wrong. they know its wrong. leave it at that.

+1
We agree! ;)

Crusty
07-26-2011, 08:53 AM
That's what I'm thinking, as well. I'm not sure what the difference would be in accepting responsibility for the two lines that were his and the additional line that he was charged for, versus just his two lines.

The three versus two lines discrepancy is the only real issue here . . . and that may not affect the outcome. If it will affect the outcome, he should certainly make it clear that he is willing to claim responsibility for the two lines and not the third.

The whole situation is very unfortunate (for Gray's family AND our resources), but hopefully Gray's father will make wiser choices in the future and consult with someone who is fluent in English and knowledgeable about our fishing regulations in the future. Sometimes the lessons we were learn the hard way have the most impact.

Don't you GET IT!! His father did trust the person he was with!! All this stupid advice, are you a school teacher? Mr.Gray and friend screwed up. The courts will take care of the matter, even if it doesn't please us members.
People who fish, hunt, drive, build houses, pay taxes, walk on the road, go to school, farm, have a job, are out of work and everthing else that goes on around us on a daily, weekly, yearly basis and live in this country, know there are rules. It's up to us living in this fine country to educate ourselves before proceeding in any kind of venture.

boot
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM
No worries ILT....probably just pay the small fine and go back to doing whats been done for the past 15 years....ignorance is bliss....

LC :)

Bah....!

FishingMOM
07-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Thank you for all who provided actual responses. I am not a hunter/fisherman myself so I do not know all the rules and feel it is really unfair to be attacked here.
For future reference please get yourself a copy of the regulations so that when dad wants to hit the water he can ask you to look things up for him.

I wasn't looking for sympathy. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of similar encounter so I know what to expect in court (I tried searching and couldn't come up with anything). I could have just asked what is the fine for breaking the rule, but I knew I would get attacked if I asked that.
Unfortunately courts are based on judges and judges are human and they all have different feelings and findings. So the punishment can vary from judge to judge.

Instead, I decided to give a back of background such as my dad didn't speak English so that you guys would know he didn't knowingly break the rule and is asking for an easy way out.
Unfortunetly we hear the "no speak english" line a lot and 99% of the time it is BS. So we don't buy it per say. Now I would encourage you to help your father learn either english or french. It will make life easier.

Anyway, my dad first got his fishing license about fifteen years ago. I was still in elementary (or junior high, I can't remember) but my older brother and my mom read the regulations at the time. When we took family trips, they would always check the catching limits at each lake we visited. My brother and I were both underage at the time and always had three lines or less at a time. I don't think there was a problem there. again frustration with immigrants who have failed to learn the language. While I have no issue with someone maintaining their own languages at home, it is essential to learn one of the two official languages. As the saying goes "when in Rome..........."

As the years went on, my brother and I grew up and became busy with school and work. We stopped going on the family trips and instead my dad found new friends (from work or other friends) to go fishing with. His friends told him the regulations for the new lakes they took him to (and he trusted them) and he knew not to violate them.
Its great your father made an attempt to follow the regulations, he trusted the wrong person in this instance.
It is very disturbing that your fathers friend failed to stand up and take personal responsibility for his own actions. I sure hope that your dad ends all interaction with this person.

As for exceeding the number of lines, the friend told him they were allowed two lines each, but it turns out (as i'm sure the rest of you know), that is he is confusing with the ice fishing rules. see above

Yes, he violated the regulations. He knows that and I know that.
Glad to see what he acknowledges he was in the wrong. I suspect if he makes a formal appology to the courts he may be given some lienancy.

Possibly. I think my dad mentioned his new fishing spot was close to Devil's Lake (where we have gone a few times as a family). It think it happend the week of July 16/17. My mom left the country on July 12th and he must have gotten himself in trouble that weekend. I've been busy with moving this month and last night was the first time I've been back to visit him since before my mom left. As usual, I asked if he went fishing on Saturday and he quietly told me how he screwed up. He told me how it was unfair that the officer tagged him with the third rod, but other than that he was just really afraid of the huge fine he would have to face. He was even hesitant to ask me to go to court with him (which would be in Stony Plain) as he knows I have a strict work schedule. Of course, I will make sure to go to court with him and will take the suggestion to call the officer beforehand to get an understanding of the charges. Anyway, as soon as I got home last night, I tried to do some research and ended up here with my post. And yes, I work a full time job, so I couldn't check the forum again until I got home from work just now (whoever was trying to accuse me otherwise).
Hang in there and make sure the court knows he is sorry, also I would suggest enrolling your dad in ESL course and have him attend. This might also help his case. Don't feel overly bad because even regular english speakers can get confused and break the regulations without realizing it until they are handed a ticket.
Guys/gals tend to be a bit sensitive when it comes to fishing and hunting regulations as we all try to protect the fishery. Unfortunately there are so many out there who purposefully circumvent the regulations for personal gain.
It is great to see that your father is humbled by this situation and will ensure that in the future he will behave himself.

To those of you who disagree with any of this, please just be respectful and ignore this thread. I can tell my dad has been very affected by it and it has had me very stressed out since I found out last night. We are not like some people who haul boats and have fancy trucks so we can't just throw money at the problem like nothing. This is not a joke to us. What happened has happened and yes, lesson learned if my dad can still fish again. I will make sure to keep an eye on him from now on. If you can't be helpful, then don't say anything at all.

It can happen, it has happened and now is the time to make the changes so that it never happens again.
Again be humble in front of the courts and hopefully the judge will take that into consideration at the time of the hearing.

JENNIFER!

DarkAisling
07-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Don't you GET IT!! His father did trust the person he was with!! All this stupid advice, are you a school teacher? Mr.Gray and friend screwed up. The courts will take care of the matter, even if it doesn't please us members.

Holy crap dude. I'm NOT a school teacher, and I didn't give any advice. How is your English comprehension?

Welcome to my ignore list. That makes 16 forum members not worth my time. Don't worry. You're in good company. ;)

boot
07-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Holy crap dude. I'm NOT a school teacher, and I didn't give any advice. How is your English comprehension?

Welcome to my ignore list. That makes 16 forum members not worth my time. Don't worry. You're in good company. ;)

Haha nice! Maybe we should send Crusty to ESL? Should we start an "ESL for Crusty Fund"?

Christofficer
07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Gray, you feel attacked because you are being attacked. But you can't expect anything less. Like alot of people pointed out, for all we know this is a troll post. For all we know, this might have happened to YOU, and not your dad. This is the internet remember? anybody can be whoever they wish.

If my post was insulting, I apologize and take it back. I know for a fact you're not coming here for sympathy, nobody would be that naive to think they'd actually get it on an outdoorsmen forum for creating such a topic.

You have to realize that this was probably not the best place to ask such a question if you weren't expecting to take any attacks at all. Nobody likes being attacked and that's why it's probably a good thing you asked here. You're getting straight up responses from people who follow the rules.

Like fishingmom just explained, you have to convince your dad not to interact with this person anymore. No matter what the excuse this guy has even if it's just ignorance, and he is sorry, your dad obviously can't risk being around someone who might get him into maybe even worse trouble with something else. The best thing you can really do is talk to a lawyer with your dad. Just a consultation will probably help you find out exactly what he's facing and what he can do about it. Consultations don't usually cost anything. However, like pointed out already, it might be best to just take the fines for multiple rods. If your dad wasn't into keeping any illegal fish, getting off with just rod fines is most likely the best choice from what I can think of. Sorry I can't be of any more help. I just can't see your dad getting away with it completely. Rightfully so too, I know if I ever got caught for using more than 1 rod I wouldn't allow myself to get away with it. The rules are the rules. We don't learn from our mistakes if we cheat.

Donkey Slayer
07-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Ignorance is no excuse!

Please do not introduce your dad, who is a poacher, to hunting.

Lefty-Canuck
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Bah....!

I was talking about the friend who apparently coerced the OP's Father into breaking the law....

LC

Crusty
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Dark, thanks for the 2 cents worth, but hopefully Gray's father will make wiser choices in the future and consult with someone who is fluent in English and knowledgeable about our fishing regulations in the future. Sometimes the lessons we were learn the hard way have the most impact.

Gust
07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
It's a hard lesson but thems the breaks.

Gray, forward me in a Private Message all the lakes and rivers your Dad frequents,, tell me his first language and I'll spend a day translating the regs,, you could go over them afterwards for semantics and noticeable errors.

And tell your Dad to drop the friend or have him kick-in for the probably hefty fine. Or tell your Dad to join a fishing club where there are members who speak his language, it would also immerse him amongst english speaking people.

And, I think it takes some courage to post a pretty heavy infraction.

Lefty-Canuck
07-26-2011, 11:38 AM
GM....your generosity never ceases to amaze me. A lot of folks here could learn alot from you (MYSELF INCLUDED).

Bravo....insert slow clap here...

LC

Fishfinder
07-26-2011, 01:38 PM
:1041::1041::dork::character0110::fighting0021:

gray
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
For those who asked, I do think the four the friend kept were walleye. Based on a quick search of the regulation book, if this was lac ste anne (suggested by the other poster), then the limit is 0. Two rods or three, I am hoping my dad ended up with the lesser of the two charges (compared to the overlimit charge).

My dad showed me the ticket when i went to see him on the weekend, but I was a bit shaken and upset at the time and didn't look closely at the detail. All I remember was that the ticket listed a description of the three rods. I don't remember seeing a fee but I will check again this weekend.

For you trolls:

My dad came to Canada in his 50s. He's been enrolled in two or three new immigrant English classes when he came here. I think many of you don't realize how difficult it is to learn a second language at that age. He had to learn English in order to get his Canadian citizenship. He passed the knowledge exam each time, but failed the conversation portion twice. He got lucky because a couple years after that, immigration introduced a new rule that people over 55 do not have to pass the communication test. I think the government recognizes how difficult it is for for older people to learn a completely new language.

Furthermore, my dad is very hardworking, but higher education was not an option from where we came from and back during that time. In Canada, all he can get are manual labor jobs, working with other immigrants who don't speak english well. He has very limited opportunity to converse with other English speaking people each day.

I had to take ESL when I came here as a six year old child. Even for my young mind, I had to be in ESL for three years before I had a good grasp of the language. My brother, a bit older than me, still speaks with an accent to this day. You can blame immigrants all you want for not bothering to learn English/French, but I know my dad spent his time working to support our family. My family is not wealthy, but I am proud that my brother and I were both able to get through unversity and got out debtfree. Because of this, I will do whatever it takes to help my dad through this, even if it means dealing with you nasty trolls.

The point, again (as some of you already know, others not so much) - My dad understands there are fishing regulations, but because he didn't speak English, he relied on his friend's interpretation (who would have known you can't trust your friends?) I came here because we were worried that this fine was going to be in the thousands (because of the mandatory court date, we didn't know what to expect). Based on a couple of the responses, it might be a couple hundred, and in that case, I can put aside some money and pay it for my dad. Hopefully that will be the end of it. If he can keep his fishing license, i will be sure to educate him more on the regulations. Of course, the challenge is that his "friends" take him to these so called sweet new fishing spots, but because my dad doesn't know English, he can't come back and tell me what lake it is and I have trouble keeping him on track.

Thank you GustavMahler. Hopefully when my dad gets back in the mood for fishing, your help would be great. I am (now) familiar with the alberta regulations website and will be referring to it more. Are there any other resources I should be aware of in terms of staying out of trouble?

Anyway, I am done explaining myself to the people who cannot help but be rude and inconsiderate. This will be my last post on this forum.
So thank you to all the rest who provided useful information or at least reserved judgment. If any kind persons have any more advice or would like to find out the outcome, please feel free to pm me.

blackpheasant
07-26-2011, 08:50 PM
For those who asked, I do think the four the friend kept were walleye. Based on a quick search of the regulation book, if this was lac ste anne (suggested by the other poster), then the limit is 0. Two rods or three, I am hoping my dad ended up with the lesser of the two charges (compared to the overlimit charge).

My dad showed me the ticket when i went to see him on the weekend, but I was a bit shaken and upset at the time and didn't look closely at the detail. All I remember was that the ticket listed a description of the three rods. I don't remember seeing a fee but I will check again this weekend.

For you trolls:

My dad came to Canada in his 50s. He's been enrolled in two or three new immigrant English classes when he came here. I think many of you don't realize how difficult it is to learn a second language at that age. He had to learn English in order to get his Canadian citizenship. He passed the knowledge exam each time, but failed the conversation portion twice. He got lucky because a couple years after that, immigration introduced a new rule that people over 55 do not have to pass the communication test. I think the government recognizes how difficult it is for for older people to learn a completely new language.

Furthermore, my dad is very hardworking, but higher education was not an option from where we came from and back during that time. In Canada, all he can get are manual labor jobs, working with other immigrants who don't speak english well. He has very limited opportunity to converse with other English speaking people each day.

I had to take ESL when I came here as a six year old child. Even for my young mind, I had to be in ESL for three years before I had a good grasp of the language. My brother, a bit older than me, still speaks with an accent to this day. You can blame immigrants all you want for not bothering to learn English/French, but I know my dad spent his time working to support our family. My family is not wealthy, but I am proud that my brother and I were both able to get through unversity and got out debtfree. Because of this, I will do whatever it takes to help my dad through this, even if it means dealing with you nasty trolls.

The point, again (as some of you already know, others not so much) - My dad understands there are fishing regulations, but because he didn't speak English, he relied on his friend's interpretation (who would have known you can't trust your friends?) I came here because we were worried that this fine was going to be in the thousands (because of the mandatory court date, we didn't know what to expect). Based on a couple of the responses, it might be a couple hundred, and in that case, I can put aside some money and pay it for my dad. Hopefully that will be the end of it. If he can keep his fishing license, i will be sure to educate him more on the regulations. Of course, the challenge is that his "friends" take him to these so called sweet new fishing spots, but because my dad doesn't know English, he can't come back and tell me what lake it is and I have trouble keeping him on track.

Thank you GustavMahler. Hopefully when my dad gets back in the mood for fishing, your help would be great. I am (now) familiar with the alberta regulations website and will be referring to it more. Are there any other resources I should be aware of in terms of staying out of trouble?

Anyway, I am done explaining myself to the people who cannot help but be rude and inconsiderate. This will be my last post on this forum.
So thank you to all the rest who provided useful information or at least reserved judgment. If any kind persons have any more advice or would like to find out the outcome, please feel free to pm me.

Well thanks for dropping by....try to stay longer next time eh

baitfisher83
07-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Your first and last post are talking about ways for your father to worm his way out of poaching charges....Wow...

AndrewM
07-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Your first and last post are talking about ways for your father to worm his way out of poaching charges....Wow...

He admitted his Dad messed up and is going to pay the fine. I don't think he is worming his way out of anything. I think he learnt a valuable lesson and I am willing to bet it won't happen again.

Ken07AOVette
07-26-2011, 09:05 PM
So everyone that answered your thread that did not offer help, or worse yet criticized your father for unwillingly engaging in poaching is a troll?

You can slant it however you prefer, but the fact of the matter is however it happened, a law was broken. The onus is always on the person holding the rod/firearm/bow etc (this is a hunting and fishing forum) to KNOW and ABIDE by the laws set forth by the Municipal, Provincial and Federal Governments. I know you admit that, but yet you fight us?

Basically, "he tried to learn English but was unable to" is not an excuse.

Does he have a drivers license just out of curiosity?

blackpheasant
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Hopefully next time he won't be quite as careless...:)

slivers86
07-26-2011, 09:29 PM
He admitted his Dad messed up and is going to pay the fine. I don't think he is worming his way out of anything. I think he learnt a valuable lesson and I am willing to bet it won't happen again.

x2

Thread closed? PUH-LEAASE?

midgetwaiter
07-27-2011, 02:26 AM

No, his first and last posts were about what kind of fine his dad could expect, at no time did he say anything about trying to get away with something.

So anyway, my dad has a mandatory court appearance coming up in August and I am wondering what I should expect. I am anticipating a fine and possibly his license revoked. Does anyone know how much the fine would be for having too many lines? I heard these fines can go up into the thousands which we really can't afford. Is there any way to get the fine reduced in court? If anyone has any input, that would be great. Thank you.

Do you have trouble reading English? Perhaps Gray can recommend an ESL class for you and the other people that jumped on your misdirected wagon.

Unknown303
07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Wow pretty sad day on this forum when you can't just help someone out. Sure his dad was in the wrong, and he never denied it. He just wanted information. Well played everyone, I can only hope I screw up just once so everyone can jump down my throat.

Stay classy AOF.

iliketrout
07-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Is there any way to get the fine reduced in court? If anyone has any input, that would be great. Thank you.

The above are the last two lines of the original post. Clearly gray is asking for two things. 1) Input, and 2) how to get the charges reduced in court. Why should the charges be reduced in court? I haven't heard a good reason.

Know your audience. I would expect the same types of responses if a guy went on a MADD forum and asked for a good lawyer to get him off his DUI charges. Or why don't we go on Liberal forum and try to convince them that the gun registry is a waste of time?

I, like many others on this forum, take conservation pretty seriously. If we don't, who will?

This has nothing to do with staying "classy". IMO the best way to stay classy is to not poach in the first place.

Gray wanted input and he got input. I'm sorry that the truth hurt his feelings. It's also too bad that he chose not to be "classy" by calling those who disagreed with him "trolls".

chubbdarter
07-27-2011, 08:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wkxAmQo-Vw&feature=related

billie
07-27-2011, 09:02 AM
I got the impression that 'Gray' was a daughter, not a son.........interesting:thinking-006:

firegod74
07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
What I got out of Grays last post is that his dad passed the English knowledge test but not the communication test.... If he passed the English knowledge, he must be able to understand it. And can read his own regulations.

Lefty-Canuck
07-27-2011, 09:12 AM
What I got out of Grays last post is that his dad passed the English knowledge test but not the communication test.... If he passed the English knowledge, he must be able to understand it. And can read his own regulations.

^^^
good point....while I feel like Grays Dad didn't do it malisciously....the ignorance card has never worked for me, "I didn't know I was speeding..." I still got the ticket and demerits....:)

LC

tacklerunner
07-27-2011, 10:33 AM
The above are the last two lines of the original post. Clearly gray is asking for two things. 1) Input, and 2) how to get the charges reduced in court. Why should the charges be reduced in court? I haven't heard a good reason.

Know your audience. I would expect the same types of responses if a guy went on a MADD forum and asked for a good lawyer to get him off his DUI charges. Or why don't we go on Liberal forum and try to convince them that the gun registry is a waste of time?

I, like many others on this forum, take conservation pretty seriously. If we don't, who will?

This has nothing to do with staying "classy". IMO the best way to stay classy is to not poach in the first place.

Gray wanted input and he got input. I'm sorry that the truth hurt his feelings. It's also too bad that he chose not to be "classy" by calling those who disagreed with him "trolls".

x2

x2

nichead
07-27-2011, 12:07 PM
I was there and saw the whole thing. I'm 99% sure of this because I heard the officer tell him about the stony plain court appearance and all the other details seem to match up.

Here's what I understood took place from watching, overhearing and talking to the officers afterwards when they came to check out licenses.

Your dads "friend" was fishing about 10 feet away with a rod and your dad was sitting in a chair with 2 or 3 rods out. The friend kept checking back and talking with your dad, I never saw any fish get caught by either of them but within about 30min the f&w showed up. From what the officers told me they were watching from a distance and witnessed the multiple rods and when checking out the stuff found some walleye as well. Your dads friend was translating and told the cops that your dad claimed the other rods were "some ladys" They also said they didn't know they were not allowed to keep the fish. The officers asked them to clean up their mess and your dads friend took his guiness bottle and threw it in the bush, they were checking their vehicle and while writing up your dads ticket the friend had the nerve to go back to the spot and start fishing again. Officers came back and bitched him out about littering the bottle and then explained the charges and court appearance. It all seemed pretty confusing with the language barrier and translations and your dads friend playing dumb.

It was actually very amusing to see how stupid your dads friend handled the entire situation, admitting guilt and just accepting it and trying to be so friendly with the officers haha.

Oh yeah and either your dad or his friend didn't have a license as well that's another thing the officer told us. I'm going to assume maybe your father didn't have a license, is he over 65? If that's the case he didn't need one.

Now here's my 2 cents.
Your dads friend totally set him up, I watched as he purposely stood away from your dad and the other rods and only once in a while checked in, that seemed suspicious to me even before the officers came. I also highly doubt that he didn't know about the no walleye limit, from the way he played ignorant to the officers you could just tell he was lying.

I don't doubt that your dad didn't realize what was going on, I think his friend took advantage of him. but you know what? That's no excuse, being ignorant is no excuse, either is not being able to speak english. The law is the law and your father broke the law. It's like trying to get out of a parking ticket by saying you couldn't read the sign and that your friend said it was okay to park there. I do believe your father did not mean to break the law but the fact is he did, and got caught.

I suggest you just be honest to the judge, tell him your dad went fishing and didn't look up the rules, say he has no excuse. Yes his friend took advantage of him big time but he still broke the rules.

The whole not being able to speak english thing is really the worst thing you can use for a reason, not only is it an unacceptable excuse, it makes him and your entire race look bad.

If you wouldn't have brought up the not being able to speak another language I think people would be a lot more sympathetic, and it's not because we're racist, it's because it's just using a lame excuse to get out of trouble. You have no reason to being it up.

Take that away and I can feel bad for your dad. I know if I was in another province or country and went fishing with a friend I probably would expect him to fill me in on most of the rules and regulations instead of havign to research it myself. I'd also probably kick his ass and throw him in the lake if I found out he used me like your dads friend used him.

Maybe you should consider talking to his friend and make him pay the fines.

pickrel pat
07-27-2011, 12:24 PM
yup.... as his son, i would be having a friendly little chat with his "friend"!:mad0100:

Redfrog
07-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Well sounds like a couple guys got caught breaking the rules. Happens everyday. we actually pay people to catch the rule breakers. Sorry no sympathy here. The regs are free. Anyone who is fishing is responsible to understand and follow them.

No English? What language did you expect? If I went to France, Germany or any where else I planned to emigrate to, I would have an idea what the working language was and if the citizen requirement says a working knowledge then I'd expect to be responsible to learn enough to follow the regs and function in my new country. No surprise there.

It sounds like with the request on how to reduce the charges and the excuse of not being able to learn a working knowledge of English in many years that the laws only apply to some people and not others.

I understand your father worked hard, so did Mine and many others. Doesn't give anyone a free pass. We actually expect people to work hard and make a better life. That doesn't make you special, it makes you a citizen.

I also know everything is not black or white but if your dad had met his first obligation, to learn English, then he wouldn't have troubles with the second. Two kids in University and no one can help him learn enough English to get by? HMMMM?

And yes if I wanted to move some where else I would be learning the language.

boot
07-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Well sounds like a couple guys got caught breaking the rules. Happens everyday. we actually pay people to catch the rule breakers. Sorry no sympathy here. The regs are free. Anyone who is fishing is responsible to understand and follow them.

He didn't ask for sympathy (it's been repeated countless times now). Maybe it's time for you to go to ESL.

No English? What language did you expect? If I went to France, Germany or any where else I planned to emigrate to, I would have an idea what the working language was and if the citizen requirement says a working knowledge then I'd expect to be responsible to learn enough to follow the regs and function in my new country. No surprise there.

Enough with the English. He's a Canadian and knows enough English to have citizenship. If he doesn't know enough to pass YOUR standards... too bad. Your crying is making my ears bleed.

It sounds like with the request on how to reduce the charges and the excuse of not being able to learn a working knowledge of English in many years that the laws only apply to some people and not others.

I'm glad to hear you have never challenged a ticket in your life and choose to pay the maximum amount in every circumstance. You are truly a hero. Can I borrow your cape?

I understand your father worked hard, so did Mine and many others. Doesn't give anyone a free pass. We actually expect people to work hard and make a better life. That doesn't make you special, it makes you a citizen.

English anyone? I don't recall anyone asking for a free pass. For what it's worth, you FAIL my English standards. I wish the gov't would revoke your citizenship.

I also know everything is not black or white but if your dad had met his first obligation, to learn English, then he wouldn't have troubles with the second. Two kids in University and no one can help him learn enough English to get by? HMMMM?

He knows enough English to get by. He works hard, pays taxes and raised kids through University.

And yes if I wanted to move some where else I would be learning the language.

You barely understand English, how would you learn another language?

baitfisher83
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh lord here we go.....according to Boot anyone who barely knows English should get leniency....

boot
07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Does he have a drivers license just out of curiosity?

Do you have a white hood and robe out of curiosity?

boot
07-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh lord here we go.....according to Boot anyone who barely knows English should get leniency....

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Why do you hate me so much? I just want to be your friend.

hal53
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM

so what, exactly is your point ..or points?????.......

boot
07-27-2011, 01:26 PM
so what, exactly is your point ..or points?????.......

I don't know. Just throwing random questions out there like the drivers license question. I thought that's what this thread was about.

BGAngler
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM

what the hell are you ranting on about? This has NOTHING to do with race or being racist. Here, let me spell it out for you:

IF YOU CAN GET A CITIZENSHIP, YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ENGLISH.

Clear enough for you? My dad immigrated when he was in his early 40's, learned the language and the law, learned the fishing regulations, and taught them to me before I could speak English very well myself once I came over myself.

While I agree that using the "no English" excuse is lame, I think at he very least this guy is remorseful and that's better than I can say about this friend. Speaking of said friend, what a douche.

Good luck in court, I think best situation would be to explain the situation without excuses, give them your financial situation, be honest, and hope for the best. That's basically how I've gotten a few driving tickets lowered.

hal53
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Weird...I thought the thread was about a Canadian citizen who has chosen to not learn the language of his country, and got caught poaching, then his university educated child (who has not helped him assimilate into society) comes onto a hunting and fishing forum and asks how he can get his dad out of trouble...or reduce the fines.......I say "suck it up princess" and take your lumps...tired of the "don't speak English routine....

boot
07-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Good luck in court, I think best situation would be to explain the situation without excuses, give them your financial situation, be honest, and hope for the best. That's basically how I've gotten a few driving tickets lowered.

*gasp* How dare you reduce your ticket after violating our traffic laws, which keep people safe. You endanger lives with your reckless driving and then have the audacity to worm your way out of paying the full fine. Shame on you. Let's all jump on this guy together and give him a beat down. Who's with me!??

chubbdarter
07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
intermission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WM8oLH87M&feature=related
Everyone sing

boot
07-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Weird...I thought the thread was about a Canadian citizen who has chosen to not learn the language of his country, and got caught poaching, then his university educated child (who has not helped him assimilate into society) comes onto a hunting and fishing forum and asks how he can get his dad out of trouble...or reduce the fines.......I say "suck it up princess" and take your lumps...tired of the "don't speak English routine....

It's about a Canadian citizen, who made a mistake and is looking for additional information. Instead, he received countless attacks on how he should learn English. I'm tired too... of your routine.

And yes, he came to an Alberta fishing forum.... wait a minute... wait for it... it's a fishing violation! What better place than a fishing forum to ask such a question? It's too bad that Gray's introduction into Alberta Outdoorsmen is with guys like you. I'm embarassed!

hal53
07-27-2011, 01:43 PM
As you should be........

iliketrout
07-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm embarassed!

You should be embarassed at how many of your posts are arguments and insults, compared to how many are actually talking about the outdoors, hunting, fishing etc.

ORV
07-27-2011, 01:46 PM
you should be embarassed at how many of your posts are arguments and insults, compared to how many are actually talking about the outdoors, hunting, fishing etc.

x100!!

Orv.

Mark
07-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I know this might p#$$ some people off, but I have to agree with Boot, at least in part. I am really glad he and his friend got caught, and they deserve whatever penalty the court deems fit. But to get on Grey's case for asking for advice, I think it a bit unfair. We've all made mistakes in life, some with knowledge, some without. What we do after we've been 'corrected' is almost more important (IMO). I totally have no sympathy for poachers and believe they should all be prosecuted and I will report any illegal behaviour I witness and applaud everybody who does the same thing. But when someone asked for help.... I don't think they should be 'attacked'. How many of us have asked friends how to get out of parking ticket or have speeding ticket reduced or eliminated? Different context, but same principle.....

Well that's just my 2cents...

boot
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
You should be embarassed at how many of your posts are arguments and insults, compared to how many are actually talking about the outdoors, hunting, fishing etc.

I'm embarassed of that too. Now, can I follow your lead and start the beat down on BGAngler? No sympathy for that lawbreaker! Throw the book at him. Take away his car (too much? tone it down?)!!

iliketrout
07-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm embarassed of that too.

We finally agree on something :sHa_shakeshout:

admin
07-27-2011, 02:23 PM
A lot of pointless arguing and insults going on here... Thread Closed.