PDA

View Full Version : Leader to tippet knots?????

simmered
07-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm starting to get into some fly fishing this year, and am just wondering what knots does everybody use to tie their tippets to the leaders? Also what knots do you use to tie flies on?
With my spinning rod I use a double surgons knot to make the loop and then just put the hook on that. Makes switching hooks very fast. Would that work for flies as well??
Thanks

ÜberFly
07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Blood knot is one of the best, but double surgeons is WAY easier (and quicker) for similar results!

This has been posted before but is a great resource!

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

P

sdimedru
07-24-2011, 09:51 PM
blood knot is my fave

matt04
07-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I use a double sugeon knot, super fast.

Big Daddy Badger
07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I usually snell my hooks and the use a double surgeon to connect to the leader.

Alberta Bigbore
07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
blood knot is gravy

Flyfishingnut
07-24-2011, 10:27 PM
When I started out fly fishing I had problems with leader-tippets until I found a small gadget call "Tie-Fast Knot Tyer". It now has a permanent place on my vest.

Doc
07-24-2011, 11:52 PM
You can use a blood knot for lines of similar diameter (ie: 3X & 4X or 5X & 6X) or a double or even a triple surgeons knot for all diameters of lines. Surgeon is easier and quicker.

As far as tying on your fly, the improved clinch is the standard but a non-slip loop knot leaves your fly to move more naturally in the water and is a stronger knot.

alacringa
07-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Triple Surgeon's knot. Quick and easy, as others have indicated.

matt04
07-25-2011, 12:02 AM
You can use a blood knot for lines of similar diameter (ie: 3X & 4X or 5X & 6X) or a double or even a triple surgeons knot for all diameters of lines. Surgeon is easier and quicker.

As far as tying on your fly, the improved clinch is the standard but a non-slip loop knot leaves your fly to move more naturally in the water and is a stronger knot.

how does the Non-slip loop knot compare to a rapala knot in a fly fishing situation?

Doc
07-25-2011, 12:06 AM
how does the Non-slip loop knot compare to a rapala knot in a fly fishing situation?

Same knot.

smitty9
07-25-2011, 12:08 AM

Well, we're getting into some semantics here, because from what I've seen, the non-slip loop knot and the rapala knot are identical. Now some guys use a slightly modified version of the non-slip loop knot and its different. But I'm not sure...

Smitty

matt04
07-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Doc
07-25-2011, 12:24 AM
With the non-slip loop, after you wrap around the line 5 times, you then come back through the loop and pull tight. With the Rapala, you come through the loop and then back through the the loop again and pull tight. That's the only difference.

fishpro
07-25-2011, 12:30 AM
For tying two lines of similar diameter together I find that nothing beats the figure 8 knot. It's strong and super fast to tie. Just overlap the two pieces of line about 6 inches, in line, and then tie the knot.

simmered
07-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've been trying a few of those knots out while sitting here at work tonight! Definatly like that surgeons knot, very slick. I've tied those improved cinch knots for ever! pretty sure thats the first fishing knot my dad taught me!!!! Going to give that rapala knot a try for the flies.
I was mistaken before, according to that animated knots site, I've been using the surgeons loop for my leaders and hooks on my spinning rods. I make the loop and then pass the loop through the hook eye and then pass the hook through the loop and tighten it up. Very quick hook changes when your using small spinners with no need for one of those wire leaders!

Christofficer
07-25-2011, 12:46 AM
If you want a really strong knot, the blood knot is probably one of the best.

For directly to fly, nothing is stronger than the trilene and palomar. Palomar being the easier to tie.

ishootbambi
07-25-2011, 12:55 AM
If you want a really strong knot, the blood knot is probably one of the best.

For directly to fly, nothing is stranger than the trilene and palomar. Palomar being the easier to tie.

thats my way. blood and palomar.

boot
07-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I use the double surgeons knot, because of ease and speed.

You can also do some "home tests" on knot strength to come up with your own conclusions (weigh the pros/cons of tying speed vs knot strength). Just tie comparable knots to 2 swivels using leader or tippet and give a swift tug to break one of the knots. If you do this multiple times, you may notice that one knot consistently breaks (weaker) compared to the other knot.