PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is no excuse

Redfrog
07-24-2011, 10:48 PM
So why do we have a hunter education course and not a fisher education course?

BGSH
07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
You dont shoot guns off well fishing, do you?

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Cause anyone can fish....all you need is to fill out a WIN card form....pay for it.....get a number ....buy a fishing license and then a buddy to tell you the rules and supply you with a couple rods....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC :)

lone wolf
07-24-2011, 10:50 PM
So why do we have a hunter education course and not a fisher education course?

Excellent question in light of a (very) recent post. It would make a lot of sense, particularly for recent immigrants who are not fluent in either of our official languages.

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Years ago, my dad gave some american birdhunters permission to hunt partridge on our land because there was no equipment in the fields.
They stopped by on their way out to thank dad and show us their bounty

Ive never in my life seen a trunk full of dead Meadow Larks

BeeGuy
07-24-2011, 10:58 PM
never killed a man with a errant treble hook.

I'd rather break the rules than pay for a fishing course.

There are far too many fees as it is.

I recall fishing the NW one time and realized I had 2 licenses, 4 tags, plus classified tickets.

Enough is enough.

If all the major fishing access points in AB were clearly posted with reg's and fine rates$$, it would help greatly.

We shouldn't need a course in order to understand legislation. It should be easily accessible and comprehend-able for every Canadian, regardless of language.

Bzzz

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 11:03 PM
he said education course not a "rod registry"

No wonder you always stick up for poachers, I understand now

Who is going to pay for all your fancy signs at EVERY lake access point? Fishing is a "pay to play" activity....you don't pay then don't play

I recall fishing the NW one time and realized I had 2 licenses, 4 tags, plus classified tickets.
If you want to fish....then pay for and hold what ever docs you need to do it

Enough is enough.
Yes I have had enough of poaching, and people using lame excuses to try to get off

If all the major fishing access points in AB were clearly posted with reg's and fine rates$$, it would help greatly.
Again who pays for this???

We shouldn't need a course in order to understand legislation. It should be easily accessible and comprehend-able for every Canadian, regardless of language.
Clearly its needed cause people are using "no speaking english" as an excuse for breaking the rules we all need to follow

Bzzz

wow....

LC

Redfrog
07-24-2011, 11:08 PM
We have about one third less officers in the field today than we had 15 years ago. We also have a few more people in the province and more of them fishing.
Would it help ease the work load if a course and test were required to get a fishing license?

I hate more rules and regs more than anyone I know, but there sure seems to be a lot regs broken.

bigbuck19
07-24-2011, 11:10 PM
They hand you a book of rules when you get your fishing license, pretty straightforward. Tells you everything you need to know to avoid fines.

slough shark
07-24-2011, 11:10 PM
there is such a course available through AHEIA it just isn't mandatory to do to get a fishing license, in my mind rightly so as the last thing we need is more regulation and hoops to jump though in order to do the things we love. that being said I wish that f&w would have a lot more jurisdiction and be able to punish those that are breaking the rules so there would be more actual consequences for poaching etc...

BGAngler
07-24-2011, 11:14 PM
They hand you a book of rules when you get your fishing license, pretty straightforward. Tells you everything you need to know to avoid fines.

I agree with this. Takes 5 minutes to read through it all. Not really complicated..

Crush barb. Check.
3 hook max. Check.
One line in at a time. Check.
Limit on types of fish? Check.
Bait allowed? Check.

Phew. Tough stuff.

HunterDave
07-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Would it help ease the work load if a course and test were required to get a fishing license?

No, because if someone is going to break the rules a hundred courses won't stop them from doing it. Easing the workload is why there's a RAP. There are more eyes and ears out there than the government could ever afford.

Also, ignorance is no excuse..........oh, you already said that. :)

C Taylor
07-24-2011, 11:18 PM
That and a trailer backing up test. To go with the boating exam

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM
sadly i fear this
gun registry wont make criminals register guns
A fishing course wont make a poacher stop poaching.....most poaching is done by a hardened poacher not a fisherman that is ignorant to the law. We only see the ignorant fisherman because they fish in public.......real damaging poachers are like ghosts.

Keho is a prime example...ive tryed to do what i can, Most have not!!!

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 11:20 PM

^^^^
X2.....like parallel parking is for a drivers exam....

LC

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 11:21 PM
that and a trailer backing up test. To go with the boating exam

yes please

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 11:22 PM
sadly i fear this
A fishing course wont make a poacher stop poaching.....most poaching is done by a hardened poacher not a fisherman that is ignorant to the law. We only see the ignorant fisherman because they fish in public.......real damaging poachers are like ghosts.

....multiply ignorance by a few hundred or thousand....you have more than a few hardened poachers "made up for"....

LC

chubbdarter
07-24-2011, 11:25 PM
nope..i disagree..you have obviously have not drug in the gill nets.
im done..thats all i have to say

Lefty-Canuck
07-24-2011, 11:32 PM
nope..i disagree..you have obviously have not drug in the gill nets.
im done..thats all i have to say

You are right I haven't and I know what you are getting at....but you have to understand a bunch of "un-intentional" poachers do damage as well....

LC

matt04
07-24-2011, 11:35 PM

:lol:true

matt04
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
You are right I haven't and I know what you are getting at....but you have to understand a bunch of "un-intentional" poachers do damage as well....

LC

agree

HunterDave
07-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Okay, outdoors wise, so far we have a Hunter's Education course, Firearms Handling course (PAL) and soon to be here Boat Operator course.....just wait for it. NOW we should have mandatory Fishing course, Snowmobile course, ATV course, Camping course, Hiking course, Outdoors Etiquette course (including how to poop in the bush & spit seeds), Using Horses for Hunting course, Pack Dog Hunting course (Only if it's new but it can be incorporated into the Hunter Ed for all the people that will never hunt with them to know about) etc, etc, etc. There's gotta be more courses that we need but those are the only ones that I can think of right offhand!

I think that everyone needs to take a breath and think about the route that we are going here......:angry3:

Okay..........Why do we need a Fishing course again? :)

bigbuck19
07-24-2011, 11:51 PM
How about capital punishment? :thinking-006:

BGAngler
07-24-2011, 11:56 PM

Especially for spitting seeds. I'd be the first on the chopping block.

HunterDave
07-25-2011, 12:01 AM

You might be onto something there. If the crime isn't worth the time people will stop doing it and educate themselves if the consequences were severe enough. HMMMMMMMM.......First to inform people of the more severe consequences..........I know.......have a course!

alacringa
07-25-2011, 12:05 AM
^^^^

LC

Yeah...you obviously haven't spent much time watching people "parallel park" in downtown Calgary. Way too many idiots go back and forth in the same place, 439 times, and still end up parking 4 feet from the curb and impeding the flow traffic. It doesn't work.

baitfisher83
07-25-2011, 12:09 AM
^^^^

LC

X3, I've only done it once and I can back a trailer up better than most of the *****s who just bomb down the launch.

BeeGuy
07-25-2011, 12:20 AM
There is a big difference between someone with a barbed hook and someone who is netting a dozen king salmon or gill netting on a spawning ground.

The only thing they have in common is contravention of legislation. They are not the same, nor should they be disciplined in the same manner.

I fish from shore, a lot. I pick up piles of gear from shore that's been lost on snags, and 90% of it is barbed.

The conceptual extremism here is useless.

Perhaps our cars should issue us a $1000 fine every time we break the speed limit?

Everything within reason, no?

Christofficer
07-25-2011, 01:01 AM
sadly i fear this
A fishing course wont make a poacher stop poaching.....most poaching is done by a hardened poacher not a fisherman that is ignorant to the law.

Well said. I had this idea or something similar some time ago, I had time to think about it. This post is exactly my thoughts. But the problem is, our cities are getting bigger and bigger.

I talked to a conservation officer once about poachers. He said their main focus is commercial fishing. And I'd have to say that the most worrying poachers are the ones who are taking fish in large numbers, or the ones who are never seen at all. Our fishieries do very well in alberta considering how many bodies of water we only have and how many people are in this province.

Braun
07-25-2011, 01:50 AM
a couple things here. we are talking an education course. no this will not stop poachers. a course would be completely unrelated to stopping poaching. so just forget about it. i would support a course 100%. not for the people who claim ignorance to the regs. because that is a cop out. but the course would be great for many reasons:

1. educating people on how delicate a fishery is. one small tilt and the entire ecosystem could go unbalanced and collapse. The average joe or weekend warrior do not fully understand this. we outdoorsmen do. things can be taught about the balanceof an ecosystem and how long it takes for a fishery to recover. ect. hell this would probably be benificial because it actually might teach them something useful to be more successful.

2. proper handling of fish. IMO improper handling of fish is never resulted from ignorance. Its just a plain and simple lack of education. I look at when I first started to go out and fish by myself. I will admit that I could look back and say with certainty that there were some instances where i improperly handled a fish. and that was because i just didnt know better. I do now. but i taught myself to fish and had to learn without anyone teaching me.

3. alberta is widely know for contradicting or ambiguous regs. I am not saying that the course should read out all of the regs to the attendees. but how about a period of open discussion where some regs can be discussed to ensure that any questions about them be answered.

4. how to properly, acurately, and most effectively report a poacher and how the RAP program works after a call is made.

5. Overall, it will get the people with an actual conscious to think critically of their own actions while on the water. Understand better the footprint they can leave on an ecosystem. If all was right in the world, this would be an unnecessary step. but you know what, not everyone is an "outdoorsmen" like ourselves. Not that they intend harm. but just dont know better. True it is upto the individual to educate themselves. Which is good and thats the way it should be. but a person could still educate themselves on how to follow the rules. but that doesnt mean they fully comprehend the consequences of their presence. And we cant just say " well they should" because it is a common occurance in our daily lives. I can guarantee that every single one of you has had more than one occurrance in your life where you said to yourself " oh i never looked at it that way" or "hmm i didnt consider that" be it speaking something to your wife without thinking through your words or a slip up at work. It happens. A educational course would be a PRO ACTIVE step to educate people further before they go on the water.

Poaching is a completely separate issue. However, the course could also be used as a scare tactic for people who take the rules lightly. List the fines, tell people some stories. Take the punishment seriously. maybe they might be more encouraging of friends to follow the regs.

Braun
07-25-2011, 01:53 AM
sadly i fear this

an educational course wouldnt stop poaching your right. that is a separate issue. the people who poach do it with intention to poach. a course will not stop that. but a course can offer several other benefits to not only anglers but the state of the ecosystem.

BeeGuy
07-25-2011, 01:59 AM
Well, I'm not intending to insult everyone in these 2 threads, however for all those bitching and moaning, there hasn't been very many solutions offered.

Here is one:

If anyone is really that concerned, angered, etc, do your community a favour and become a bonded peace officer.

Any peace officers here that can provide some insight into the process??

Braun
07-25-2011, 02:03 AM

Enough is enough.

Bzzz

seriously. we pay F-all for our fishing licenses. 25 a year? that seriously is nothing. pro rate that over the amount of times you go out in a year. You would probably be down to about .50 every trip or less. if you choose to get walleye tags and waste your money on that, then thats your choice(waste of money IMO. suck it up and put the effort into finding a 50+cm fish. if you dont want to put in the effort then your stuck with trout). A course would be a one time thing that you take the first time you get a licence. pro rate that over the years you will fish the rest of your life and suck it up. I would gladly pay 40, 50, even 60 a year if it meant that the money was being put back into the resources. this is an issue in alberta and a different topic all together (because NO MONEY seems to get invested properly into our resources) but you should get my point. look at what it costs to get a bc licence these days? in all honesty. 25 bucks is nothing.

and dont give me the excuse that everything else fishing related costs sooooo much. sure it does. but do you need to buy a case full of 100-$10 crank baits to catch fish? no, you dont. fishing can be as cheap as you want it to be. rod, reel, line and a bag of hooks and you can go out and catch something.

Braun
07-25-2011, 02:06 AM
beeguy,

why the hell are you talking about people wanting to become a peace officer. no one here is talking about that. we are talking about weather or not a mandatory EDUCATIONAL COURSE would benefit the state of our waterways. no one in this thread is complaing about the job the COs are doing. we are discussing how to make our fisheries better.

do you even know where you are right now? you say there hasnt been many solutions offered....... this is a thread discussing one potential solution to one of the many problems our waterways have. and that is uneducated people on the waters........ are you half asleep?

BeeGuy
07-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Half awake, at least.

I hear you Braun. I have fished a lot in BC (hence the example I gave) and the cost killed me, especially as a uni student. I was happy to see that the cost in AB is reasonable and is also the same for all Canadians (non-residents aren't double$$ as in BC).

Back on topic, I really don't think a mandatory fisher education course is appropriate. It would literally be creating a piece of legislation in order to manage the excess of legislation that's been established. The reg's are excessive. I think they are good, and appear to be working well in combination with the extensive stock enhancement efforts, however a 100pg regs manual is not reasonable in my opinion.

I agree that the concept is good. We need to engage people with information more often/effectively. I personally don't want anymore legislation in my life. I'm sure the few CO's out there are doing a fine job, but there clearly isn't enough enforcement.

My driver's training course didn't stop me from speeding, a written warning and then a speeding ticket did. I don't speed anymore.....it's not worth it

These 2 topics are reciprocal. In your suggestion, we all go to a central location to listen to an instructor, in my suggestion, the instructor (PO) comes to us, on the water.

Better yet, if a ministry would bond 100 volunteers who are regular fisherpeople, we could in effect, police our own community. There is definitely a large enough group of retirees to draw from.

As well, there's clearly a few folks here who are capable of keeping their panties from bunching and would make great nominees.

GaryF
07-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Half awake, at least.

however a 100pg regs manual is not reasonable in my opinion.

Not sure where there is a 100 pages of regs to read. The pertinent information on fishing in alberta is maybe all of 4 pages, the rest are water body specific regs. Its a reference guide for when you go to certain lakes and rivers. I have no idea about specific regs for northern lakes and rivers, but if I was to make a trip to one of them, I would pull out the regs and check to see what they were. I doubt anyone would expect a fisherman to know every water body specific reg, but you should know the basics such as the definitions of the terminoligy used, general angling rules(ie one line into open water, barbless etc.) and how to handle fish. A basic course could take no more than 2 hours and would go a long way to providing better fisher ppl and a healthier fishery. Just my opinion tho.

slivers86
07-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Cause anyone can fish....all you need is to fill out a WIN card form....pay for it.....get a number ....buy a fishing license and then a buddy to tell you the rules and supply you with a couple rods....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC :)

:character0110: HAHAHAHAHA :oregonian_winesmile

Braun
07-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Sorry beeguy, I was a bit irritable last night. I was exhausted from the elong day and for the life of me could not fall asleep and did not mean to come off as angry as I did.

I do agree with you that your suggestion is one way and maybe the most effective way to deal with a lot of the issues we have on our waters. You said it best with the speeding example. The only difference is people know they are breaking the rules when they speed. Where as a person may not realize they are improperly handling a fish. There is a lack of education to the average angler. Although with more co s around these people are more likely to encounter one and be taught properly. But I don't think that is the way to handle that issue.

Without a course, more cos are important

Redfrog
07-25-2011, 09:16 AM
For most people the regs are all that is needed. The time it takes to have acoffee, I can be current with each year's regs.

There are many who are just stalled trying to negotiate the regs. I'm not referring to those with language issues, that is a whole other topic.

I teach the hunter ed course and there are always some students who need detailed instructions to understand how to use the booklet.

We see questions on here all the time about regs. I understand some find it easier for whatever reason to post a question rather than look it up, but there are others who can't find the answer even though they have made the effort.
It is what it is. I'm not advocating a course I'm asking for some positive feedback.

What about a mandatory course if for those who get tickets or convictions?

Like anger management courses for poor posting on the internet.:)

Braun
07-25-2011, 09:32 AM
i would need one of them anger courses you speak of I think. I agree with you Red there is people who need that extra help with the regs. I think a course for those ticketed is not a bad Idea. but it depends on what they are ticketed for. If they knew what they were doing when they were breaking the law, a course post fine will not stop them from doing it again. like beeguy said, defensive driving and drivers ed did stop me from speeding...... Most people would just view that as another hoop to jump through.

Personally I think a one time course taken when you first get your licence is not a bad idea. but it also brings up other issues. what about out of towners who want to fish with a bud for a weekend....... your going to make them sign up for a course to buy a day pass or are you goign to let them be exempt to the course? That wouldnt be fair to those forced to take the course.

as good as an idea as it is. It doesnt seem extremely practical. I think if there were more COs, harsher fines people would take the rules more seriously and educate themselves a little more.

slivers86
07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Okay, outdoors wise, so far we have a Hunter's Education course, Firearms Handling course (PAL) and soon to be here Boat Operator course.....just wait for it. NOW we should have mandatory Fishing course, Snowmobile course, ATV course, Camping course, Hiking course, Outdoors Etiquette course (including how to poop in the bush & spit seeds), Using Horses for Hunting course, Pack Dog Hunting course (Only if it's new but it can be incorporated into the Hunter Ed for all the people that will never hunt with them to know about) etc, etc, etc. There's gotta be more courses that we need but those are the only ones that I can think of right offhand!

I think that everyone needs to take a breath and think about the route that we are going here......:angry3:

Okay..........Why do we need a Fishing course again? :)

As an ATV operator, snowmobile, quad, gator, dirt bike - I am all for a course on responsible riding. Fishing? Read the regs, they are self explanatory aren't they??? if you can read the application for a WIN & Fish license, enough of the BS... don't blame some of the hard nosed conserv. officers for being the way they are.

Why not adopt some stiffer penalties like out east?

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Fishing? Read the regs, they are self explanatory aren't they??? if you can read the application for a WIN & Fish license, enough of the BS... don't blame some of the hard nosed conserv. officers for being the way they are.

Why not adopt some stiffer penalties like out east?

^^^^^
I agree with this but clearly people are not reading regs and not understanding them....so I believe like you...they should admit it, they should accept it, take their lumps, and learn it for next time.

When has too much education been a bad thing? I think a fishing course for new fishermen/new canadians (who want to fish) would be a good thing (mandatory or not). If you ever get caught and charged with an offence then it becomes mandatory. I understand the issues with "I don't want to have to pay for another course, and its a money grab opportunity, etc"

Clearly there IS a need for more education or we wouldn't have people claiming ignorance to rules all the time. People wanting reduced fines and sentencing because "they didn't know"...or "the buddy told them it was ok"...

I take responsibility for my screw ups.....I think other should to. It is easier to find an excuse and justify why someone was mistaken and did something wrong than it is to say, "ok you are right I am wrong I messed up, now let me take my lumps"

LC

KegRiver
07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
I hate to say it, I hate manditory courses, but I think manditory Fisher courses may be a good idea.

Not for old foggies like me and Red but think of all those young folks who have no one to mentor them these days.
I know it wouldn't ever replace mentoring, but they would at least have a starting point with such a course.

Same for folks new to this country. And it wouldn't hurt me or folks like me to sit through a course or two. Over the years one can develop some bad habits. A reminder of proper etiquit ext. once in a while sure can't hurt.

Gee! did I just say that!!

Gust
07-25-2011, 10:42 AM
When I was in Grade 9, we had the regular options, shop-swimming-golf and Alberta Fish & Game classes, and it was very hard to get that option,,, the book was massive and the test was brutal, very intensive as the teacher was a full on old Alberta Hunter and Fisherman.

chubbdarter
07-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Red.....innocent questions
Where does the funding come from for hunter training, is it self supporting?
Sadly i wish all Canadians spoke english but how does the course work for non speaking - non understanding people of the english language?
Im not bashing your idea, simply trying to gain knowledge.
thanks

Gust
07-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Sadly i wish all Canadians spoke english but how does the course work for non speaking - non understanding people of the english language?
thanks

i'm not red but,

there are indo-canadian clubs and many bilinguals of the new canadians language who have been here for awhile.

my question is; would you volunteer your time to teach a course? it doesn't really need to cost,, maybe a $20 initial fee or whatever.

Braun
07-25-2011, 11:01 AM
thanks

very good question. I am interested in how this works for hunters as well

chubbdarter
07-25-2011, 11:07 AM
i'm not red but,

there are indo-canadian clubs and many bilinguals of the new canadians language who have been here for awhile.

my question is; would you volunteer your time to teach a course? it doesn't really need to cost,, maybe a $20 initial fee or whatever.

Gus im not educated well enough to teach any course.....i got a high school diploma because my dad donated the funding for the elementary school playground.

Ken07AOVette
07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
For most people the regs are all that is needed. The time it takes to have acoffee, I can be current with each year's regs.

True, I have seen old guys like you in the coffee shops nursing a cup of coffee for hours..........and hours...........and hours................:sHa_sarcasticlol:

boot
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I think if a mandatory course is introduced, you'll have quite the drop in license purchases. Also, it would deter new anglers from being introduced into the sport (might sound good short term, but to have declining interest and less money over the long term would be disastrous for sport fishing).

As an alternative approach, I think it would be a good idea to have an online open book quiz each year before your license is issued. Being online would reduce the adminstrative costs and the quiz wouldn't be a "knowledge/memorization" quiz, but instead it would be more of a "raise awareness" quiz. Anglers would look up information in the regulations to answer questions. This would inevitablly raise awareness of the importance of regulations and would also provide some basic awareness of common regulations (such as barbless, catch limits, single rods, etc).

Also, the quiz shouldn't be punitive (i.e. fail and no license), but instead, you would just take it again immediately with a new set of questions. You could keep taking the quiz, until you pass. Again, it wouldn't solve all our problems, but it would raise awareness about regulations.

iliketrout
07-25-2011, 11:32 AM
My two cents FWIW...

It doesn't matter how many courses and tests and regs etc. there are. Increasing the number of tests and licenses to hold will only make the average, law-abiding angler have to jump through hoops to get a license. It may serve as additional revenue to SRD and therefore pay for more officers and more enforcement. If that was the case I'd be all for it...but then again I'd glady pay double for my license to get the same result.

I'd go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of poachers are doing it by choice and not by negligence. The whole language barrier/lack of comprehension/I didn't know the regs is simply an excuse after getting caught. No amount of courses and tests will eliminate poaching. IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction to a serious problem when we have the amount of fishing pressure as seen in AB's lakes and rivers.

I think the only way to reduce poaching is to increase enforcement...covering that tab is the million dollar question. As I said before, I'll gladly pay more for my license to do so...

The Fisherman Guy
07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
My two cents FWIW...

It doesn't matter how many courses and tests and regs etc. there are. Increasing the number of tests and licenses to hold will only make the average, law-abiding angler have to jump through hoops to get a license. It may serve as additional revenue to SRD and therefore pay for more officers and more enforcement. If that was the case I'd be all for it...but then again I'd glady pay double for my license to get the same result.

I'd go out on a limb and say that the vast majority of poachers are doing it by choice and not by negligence. The whole language barrier/lack of comprehension/I didn't know the regs is simply an excuse after getting caught. No amount of courses and tests will eliminate poaching. IMO it's a knee-jerk reaction to a serious problem when we have the amount of fishing pressure as seen in AB's lakes and rivers.

I think the only way to reduce poaching is to increase enforcement...covering that tab is the million dollar question. As I said before, I'll gladly pay more for my license to do so...

X2 Well said ILT.

Some folks may not agree with my way of thinking, but when I see anyone blatently poaching, I call them out on it. If poachers are critisized publicly, they will think twice about breaking the rules in front of other people.

As I am sure this could be like kicking a hornets nest, I will provide an example:

Fishing the spillway at Travers; If I see someone, or a group of people fishing above the buoy's, I will mention to them that it is illegal. If they flip me the bird, claim they do not speak english, or continue, I notify the authorities and they deal with it. Most of the time, the poachers stop immediately. In this case, they are clearly poaching, so there is no uncertainty to the legality of their activities.

Gust
07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Gus im not educated well enough to teach any course.....i got a high school diploma because my dad donated the funding for the elementary school playground.

I think you could and there are probably 500 members who could tag team various parts of etiquette, regulations and so forth.

My parents were immigrants/dp's to England after the War,, my dad taught himself english by playing darts at the pub and litsnening to the radio,, they were of the generation "intergrate", they are still very strong in their culture but in no way played the ignorant card.

With all the desktop applications now, it wouldn't be that hard to translate the regs for whatever ethnicity.

and, community halls are open for such things, especially specialised esl,,

gprime27
07-25-2011, 12:48 PM
hj

Gust
07-25-2011, 12:57 PM

gprime27
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM

Gust
07-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Braun
07-25-2011, 01:07 PM
:party0052:

gprime27
07-25-2011, 01:08 PM

Gust
07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
:party0052:

What are you going to do with all that popcorn?

Redfrog
07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Chubb,
This program would be like the Montreal Olympics. It could no more run a deficit than a man could have a baby. Oh wait bad example. It would be like the gun registry and be self supporting and never cost taxpayers a dime.:)

The Hunter ed course is done through AHEIA. It is a non profit org that has administered the program for years. I'm not sure if the prov gov't pays or not. AHEIA has several other programs on the go. They have received tons of donations in cash and real estate. The programs like I teach are manned by volunteers. It would be well worth reading up on them.

As far as costs for the courses. I charge what it costs for course books and donate my time. I would guess the same would apply to a fishing course.The only time I received pay was years ago in B.C> when the course was part of the night school adult courses. The school had to pay us because of the teachers union thing.

As I said I'm not beating the drum for the idea, just trying to encourage some discussion.

The language issue is a separate deal. If you are here you should have a working knowledge of the language IMO.

I've had students who struggled with English, but they struggled so I went out of my way to accommodate them with more time on the test or extra time after class to explain something. I also did the same with those who spoke English but had reading challenges.

I think a mandatory fishing course has some merit.

There is obviously opposition to it by some who will be personally affected, but I'm trying to see the big picture.

The hunt course does much more than cover regs. I would expect the fishing course to do the same.

OF course not everyone who takes the course is transformed into a polite expert, law abiding fisherman any more than a driving course grad is now an excellent driver. BUT it could be a positive step to help reduce some fishing infractions and encounters.

We see posts here every day about some maroon who ruined the experience because of rude behavior, or someone with a fish or two over the limit or barbed hooks. A course may reduce these incidents. It won't do away with them and it won't stop the poacher who is in it for the money but it may educate someone enough that they RAP.

gprime27
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM

He's probably going to eat it.. But take that popcorn outside as the smell of that popcorn will make me puke :)

chubbdarter
07-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Chubb,
This program would be like the Montreal Olympics. It could no more run a deficit than a man could have a baby. Oh wait bad example. It would be like the gun registry and be self supporting and never cost taxpayers a dime.:)

The Hunter ed course is done through AHEIA. It is a non profit org that has administered the program for years. I'm not sure if the prov gov't pays or not. AHEIA has several other programs on the go. They have received tons of donations in cash and real estate. The programs like I teach are manned by volunteers. It would be well worth reading up on them.

As far as costs for the courses. I charge what it costs for course books and donate my time. I would guess the same would apply to a fishing course.The only time I received pay was years ago in B.C> when the course was part of the night school adult courses. The school had to pay us because of the teachers union thing.

As I said I'm not beating the drum for the idea, just trying to encourage some discussion.

The language issue is a separate deal. If you are here you should have a working knowledge of the language IMO.

I've had students who struggled with English, but they struggled so I went out of my way to accommodate them with more time on the test or extra time after class to explain something. I also did the same with those who spoke English but had reading challenges.

I think a mandatory fishing course has some merit.

There is obviously opposition to it by some who will be personally affected, but I'm trying to see the big picture.

The hunt course does much more than cover regs. I would expect the fishing course to do the same.

OF course not everyone who takes the course is transformed into a polite expert, law abiding fisherman any more than a driving course grad is now an excellent driver. BUT it could be a positive step to help reduce some fishing infractions and encounters.

We see posts here every day about some maroon who ruined the experience because of rude behavior, or someone with a fish or two over the limit or barbed hooks. A course may reduce these incidents. It won't do away with them and it won't stop the poacher who is in it for the money but it may educate someone enough that they RAP.

I believe your thoughts have alot of merit.....i would love to see a program that shows people the proper way to use RAP. I see alot of threads and posts where RAP is being wasted and its sad.

Gust
07-25-2011, 01:41 PM
You know they have those things where people break into song at a mall,, flash mob,,, well, it's a bit far fetched but what if there were flash mob fishin education spiels at high pressure lakes and such,,, a get to know your CO/FW, free hot dogs and some info on the particular lake and fish handling technique,,, the peace officer volunteer thing sounds good but not to diss a frequent forum member, a badge can really go to someones head. I think it should be the 65's and up.

baitfisher83
07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
You know they have those things where people break into song at a mall,, flash mob,,, well, it's a bit far fetched but what if there were flash mob fishin education spiels at high pressure lakes and such,,, a get to know your CO/FW, free hot dogs and some info on the particular lake and fish handling technique,,, the peace officer volunteer thing sounds good but not to diss a frequent forum member, a badge can really go to someones head. I think it should be the 65's and up.

Sounds Glee-ish to me.

Gust
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Sounds Glee-ish to me.

They aint singin, they're info'ing

Braun
07-25-2011, 02:24 PM

chum the waters around me while i fish the glenmore with minnows and multiple rods..........

Gust
07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
chum the waters around me while i fish the glenmore with minnows and multiple rods..........

I know who you are!!!!

Would you volunteer as a fishing etiquette officer?

I couldn't,,, I had a family fishing outing go sideways and had to walk a long long ways away to steam-off, almost had to bring my Dad on the walk,,, glad there were kids around to keep things calm.

Throat ripping, distance throwing releasers, grrrrrrrrrr

Braun
07-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I wouldnt say that I have the Best etiquette either. Just the other day I was fishing and there were other guys fishing about 10 feet from the side of us. they were just using bobbers and letting them sit I was chucking spoons in a fan pattern but never casted more towards them than straight out infront of me it was working out well. we never bothered eachother. then I was about to cast and he whips his bobber out across to the other side so i couldnt cast 5 feet to my right let alone straight out. we had a good working system for quite a while. so i decided to cast straight out anyways. A good 60 feet with a heave spoon and wind assisted and the wind was blowing hard so it carrys the extra line off to the right. I made sure to give it lots of air to to go as far right as possible. Let the line touch the water. Tip down and reeled in. swept up all 3 of theyre bobbers and moved them in nice and close to shore........ "Oops. im sorry. crazy wind......." all 3 had to recast and buddy made sure to keep his bobber straight out infront of him.

Braun
07-25-2011, 03:23 PM
I would however recommend shaun "the best" guide to teach a fishing etiquette lesson though............:scared0018:

baitfisher83
07-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I would however recommend shaun "the best" guide to teach a fishing etiquette lesson though............:scared0018:

Wouldn't that just be like UFC with fishing rods?

pikergolf
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Privatising enforcement, would solve lots of poaching issues. Film them poaching, go see a judge, get a court date and process. Collect 50% of fine for your trouble. Guy could start a whole new industry, books on how to get started, instruction videos, contests !!! :sHa_shakeshout:

KoldFusion
07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Why do we need a course?

Any time someone posts a video or a picture of someone with a fish there is at least one troll who thinks he spots at least one break of the rules thus teaching everyone else.

slough shark
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
once again AHEIA DOES OFFER A COURSE it just isn't mandatory, my thoughts are anyone who is caught doing any fishing poaching offense MUST take this course only put on weekdays 9-5 so as to make it inconvenient (you break the law you are inconvenienced) at a cost of a couple hundred dollars. Failure to show up results in an auto $1500 fine (amount to be determined but significant) 2nd offense is a $1500 cost for the course or a much larger fine. Done. IF there is anyone poaching I want to make it very expensive for them, 1 warning where they can get of relatively easy and not to bad but nail them to the wall the second time and make sure they know!

Lefty-Canuck
07-25-2011, 10:22 PM
once again AHEIA DOES OFFER A COURSE it just isn't mandatory, my thoughts are anyone who is caught doing any fishing poaching offense MUST take this course only put on weekdays 9-5 so as to make it inconvenient (you break the law you are inconvenienced) at a cost of a couple hundred dollars. Failure to show up results in an auto $1500 fine (amount to be determined but significant) 2nd offense is a $1500 cost for the course or a much larger fine. Done. IF there is anyone poaching I want to make it very expensive for them, 1 warning where they can get of relatively easy and not to bad but nail them to the wall the second time and make sure they know!

^^^^^
X2 great idea....it needs to be a painful (in the pocket book) mistake...

LC

Bhflyfisher
07-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Well it would be nice if hook companies would just get rid of barbs. Although thats probably not do able for the "bait fishers" even though our entire province is barbless.

Some people complain about the fees and crap, and regs, these are people who dont fish prime quality waters. Look me in the eyes and tell me that alberta has better waters then BC or montana for that reason (yes montana is in the U.S. , so its a whole different ball game FLAME ME.) I believe fines for poaching, bait fishing in waters not aloud and etc, are much too low. A 150 dollar fine for keeping 4 fish over the limit isnt going to stop anyone from doing it, all it is going to do is make them plan a sneakier attempt at keeping the fish or fish more deserted waters.

The other thing i would like to see happen is when caught for poaching bait and etc at the water, i would like to see the equipment being taken away. Sets them back right there.

Poachers are never going to quit, but i am never going to quit reporting them. I know that the People in BC have no problem paying classified waters fees ( some do but dont understand that it makes the fishing what it is ) The bow is always going to be an exception, the river is much more productive then most other water bodies in canada.

I dont ever see many rainbow trout around the 10lb mark coming from alberta as i do from manitoba parklans and kamloops lakes.

Look at the steelhead waters around the skeena, its a dream to fish there and catch the silver ghost, its classified and catch and release. See how it works?

Put and take lakes are fine by me, but when i see people poaching at muir (which is not a put and take lake) i can argue that point right down to the bone, it boils my blood. Just like people poaching bull trout, or confusing brook trout for bulls (it happens a lot).

What i am getting down to, is yes a course would be beneficial. I would support it all the way, I'm 16 (yes i work) and i just had to start paying my license. 26 dollars is not a lot for a year. I'd be happy to pay 35-50 dollars a year to see more enforcement, a course or even more quality fisheries. For gods sakes we pay nothing compared to BC for a year of freshwater and that does not include classified waters, or your sal****er license.

slivers86
07-25-2011, 10:44 PM
What i am getting down to, is yes a course would be beneficial. I would support it all the way, I'm 16 (yes i work) and i just had to start paying my license. 26 dollars is not a lot for a year. I'd be happy to pay 35-50 dollars a year to see more enforcement, a course or even more quality fisheries. For gods sakes we pay nothing compared to BC for a year of freshwater and that does not include classified waters, or your sal****er license.

x2 - lol @ sal****er.... :sHa_shakeshout:

KegRiver
07-26-2011, 02:10 AM
i'm not red but,

I'm not Red, but I would. Teach such a course that is. Alas I might need some training myself, first.